Author Topic: Life cycle of a Stern machine.  (Read 2729 times)

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
Re: Life cycle of a Stern machine.
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2015, 05:36:16 PM »
Why does everyone talk pounds? Australia has now been metric for 42 years.
Get with the times!  Homepin is not American so we better start getting used to 130 KG  machines.
I do not care if Stern machines are lighter,  so long as they play good.  Even Tim  Tams are lighter these days compared to 10 years ago. 
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline andypinboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2015, 05:52:53 PM »
Yeah, but the people eating the tim tams have gotten heavier. Have a look at a Rolling Stones machine one day - holy crap - that's an epic disaster with a distorted cut out of somebody sort of "moving" left/ right (I say "moving" because it sure isn't sliding). Whoever it's meant to be sort of stops the ball going anywhere at all - sometimes it's even stuck to him/her. And the announcer - good Lord! Seriously, only Stern could make one of the planet's greatest rock bands look just plain sad.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 06:04:02 PM by andypinboy »
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline RottyGuy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
  • QLD
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2015, 07:21:14 PM »
^ going by your signature, one might think you're pinsanity under another name.

I like plenty of Stern games, but not all. Same goes for all the manufacturers. Theres constructive criticism and there's just plain bagging for the sake of it. Gets old real quick.

ETA ... Just noticed you've changed your loves Stern stirring signature.  #@#
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 07:26:24 PM by RottyGuy »

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2015, 07:45:43 PM »
He - you reckon. No, but sometimes I don't mind stirring. And seeing as yr a Rottyguy & I have Mastiffs you can like whatever you like. Good luck with it.  ^^^
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2015, 08:33:01 PM »

I like plenty of Stern games, but not all. Same goes for all the manufacturers. Theres constructive criticism and there's just plain bagging for the sake of it. Gets old real quick.

I thought it was just me well picked up there two of a kind :) he's here to stir shit that's all and it's getting real old and boring :( we get it you don't like stern move on its soooooo boring.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 08:36:16 PM by GORGAR 1 »

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2015, 08:39:06 PM »
Not true Gorgar1. Sorry if I upset you. I think Stern is overpriced & not as well made as the (admittedly older) Bally/ Williams games - but I'm the 1st to say each to his own. This thread was, as I understand it, moved from another for those that didn't mind a joke - especially the Hitler videos. I find them very creative & highly amusing. I am not pinsanity & find it a little offensive it's been suggested - happy for mods to phone me to clarify that once & for all. You don't need to read it if it's not your thing.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 08:44:06 PM by andypinboy »

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2015, 08:44:29 PM »
Not true Gorgar1. Sorry if I upset you. I think Stern is overpriced & not as well made as the (admittedly older) Bally/ Williams games - but I'm the 1st to say each to his own.

You didn't upset me :) price? your probably right-Build quality maybe although mine are pretty good just a few tweaks like most pins and yes your not the first to say this but that's my point we all know this wheather your right or wrong it's bloody boring.

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2015, 08:46:08 PM »

I thought it was just me well picked up there two of a kind :) he's here to stir shit that's all and it's getting real old and boring :( we get it you don't like stern move on its soooooo boring.

Yes,  tall poppy syndrome.
Stern is easy to bash cause they are releasing 3 or 4 machines a year.  Got to give them credit for doing something.  Any additional machines out there is good for the collector.
Just enjoying a break here on Hamilton Island and I have found 4 Sterns,  all in good nick.  When the operator here sells these 4 some collectors will have good pinnies.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2015, 08:46:50 PM »
That's my point Gorgar1 - if  you are bored don't hit the thread. And it's "whether".
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 08:52:00 PM by andypinboy »

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2015, 08:55:46 PM »

Yes,  tall poppy syndrome.
Stern is easy to bash cause they are releasing 3 or 4 machines a year.  Got to give them credit for doing something.  Any additional machines out there is good for the collector.
Just enjoying a break here on Hamilton Island and I have found 4 Sterns,  all in good nick.  When the operator here sells these 4 some collectors will have good pinnies.

Hamilton Island very nice :) nice weather and cold beer very nice.

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2015, 09:06:50 PM »
Life cycle of a Stern machine.

Prenatal propaganda stage:
Vague misleading Facebook posts.
Speculation becomes fever pitch.
Hype builds to crescendo.
Backbox head begins to crown - title release is imminent.

Machine is born:
The faithful proclaim it the best machine ever and local distros begin dropping hints they can't keep up with demand.

3 days to 1 week post birth:
Machine actually gets played and people realise half the shots aren't coded into the gameplay.
Punters cry out for code updates; nothing of any significance is forthcoming.
Hitler video surfaces lampooning the machine's price/gameplay/lack of signifcant code.

1 to 3 months post birth:
Distros are still sitting on LE models despite earlier claims of unprecedented demand.
"Does anyone know what Stern's next title is?" starts appearing on pinball forums.

3 to 6 months post birth:
Owners begin dressing up their machines with various accoutrement to compensate for the lack of actual significant code development.

12 months plus post birth:
Distros are STILL sitting on LE models despite earlier claims of unprecedented demand.
Machine has code updated to come close to resembling what was advertised in the original sales brochure.
The faithful again proclaim it the best machine ever. The astute quickly flip them as a 12 month old HUO with less than 100 plays.

Rinse and repeat.

LMFAO how true!

Guys it is what it is.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2015, 09:15:37 PM »
The first post of the thread reads like "just more bagging from a hater".

If you don't like the Manufacturer/Stern, tell us all once, but telling us all month after month, year after year, just gets ridiculous. Let people who buy Sterns, who own Sterns, who enjoy their Sterns, enjoy them.

I like people telling me what they like in life, not what they don't like.

I say to anyone who bags Stern, go and do better.

I have DMD machines by every manufacturer. Every design by every builder is different because they were designed by different humans.

Gary Stern has kept pinball alive and some of Americas biggest and most successful businesses went bankrupt in the global recession and Stern stayed alive against all odds. Who cares if they got in a investor. Smart Gary Stern. He kept the industry and his company alive.

I love my Sterns and I am a fan of Stern USA and I am a fan of AMD in Australia.
The staff at Stern USA and the guys at AMD are some of the nicest most passionate professional and friendly people I have met in my 45 years.

Stern sells pinballs . Stern builds pinballs. Stern distributes pinballs worldwide and they provide jobs to a lot of families.
I think that is something to be proud of.
I say if you don't like something about Stern, write them a polite and professional letter and offer constructive ideas.

Anything other than that just seems like whining and whinging and completely a waste of time to me.

I am proud to say I support Stern and really enjoy being a part of their company by being a repeat customer and someone who enjoys their FBook page and their website.

When I hear another member has bought a Stern, new or old, I feel happiness for them.
This forum should be about celebrating people's enjoyment of every manufacturer.

I think the first post assumes a lot. It certainly is only an opinion and not factual to everyone.

It's this style of Stern bagging thread that has led to a lot of Stern buyers not sharing their Stern Brand new in Box opening days. I know cause I get the private emails and photos of opening days that are not shared on this forum anymore.

I am off to play one of my new Sterns, that has a big toy on the Playfield that I enjoy, sold thru a distributor I like, built by a company I like, with a nice sales flyer I like looking at, which I saw on a nice Stern website I enjoy, and I am looking forward to the next title coming out with the various models Stern builds which are all being hinted at on various websites. Would anyone seriously deny any member enjoying all of that ? Lol
I think not.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 09:20:08 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2015, 09:20:11 PM »
 ()

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2015, 09:34:48 PM »
Not true Gorgar1. Sorry if I upset you. I think Stern is overpriced & not as well made as the (admittedly older) Bally/ Williams games - but I'm the 1st to say each to his own.

You didn't upset me :) price? your probably right-Build quality maybe although mine are pretty good just a few tweaks like most pins and yes your not the first to say this but that's my point we all know this wheather your right or wrong it's bloody boring.

LOl- not nearly as boring as the single post Cavey posts over and over again... oh look - there it is at the bottom again..LOL

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2015, 09:40:39 PM »

LOl- not nearly as boring as the single post Cavey posts over and over again... oh look - there it is at the bottom again..LOL

Heh - exactly!! Knew old sherriff (double r double f) CoT would be sniffing around. Fun times.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 09:42:12 PM by andypinboy »