Author Topic: 1st time e-bay sellers beware  (Read 2727 times)

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
1st time e-bay sellers beware
« on: December 13, 2009, 12:57:32 AM »
i wish i had taken tony`s advice and lifted my reserve to a more realistic value of the machines worth.this was my first pin sale and i got burnt bad time i think.rare machine 4 sold in oz in 5 yrs.1500 made.45 watchers 2 bidders,i thought this machine would fetch at least 3k.my loss your gain.i won`t be selling on e-pay in the future.
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline johnwartjr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
Re: 1st time e-bay sellers beware
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 01:00:14 AM »
Hard to gauge.

IMO, the value of an item is what it sells for. If it's worth more to the seller, the seller needs to set an appropriate reserve, or sell it straight out with the 'reserve' price being the minimum bid.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Sorry you didn't get what you wanted for your game.

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 01:03:10 AM »
sorry to hear you had bad luck

The ebay market is flooded really, people dont have spare cash this time of the year, and pins are expensive. Ebay is a great place to advertise your machines, but its inheritley a flawed place to do business. I dont know what machine you sold, but it sounds like the buyer will be happy.

Offline studley67

• Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 01:11:19 AM »
i should have offered it here first.it was a collector machine waterworld,4 in oz that i know of.very few people have even seen one and played one .shit my loss. !!@ !!@ !!@ !!@ !!@

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 01:42:29 AM »
OK.  In another post you or your son said that you started the bidding at what the game owed you?. So if that's what it sold for, you haven't lost anything.

I think what John said pretty much sums it up.  If it was desirable, you would have had a bunch of people bidding on it.

Sorry to be blunt.  But waterworld is a terrible game (yes i've played one) There is no way you'd get 3k for one of those. To be honest, if you started the bidding at 99 cents there would have been a good chance that it finished below what you actually got for it.

Offline PGM

• Forum Posts:
  • Patterson Lakes Victoria
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 01:42:45 AM »
i should have offered it here first.it was a collector machine waterworld,4 in oz that i know of.very few people have even seen one and played one .shit my loss. !!@ !!@ !!@ !!@ !!@

That was your machine that sold for $1800 ?

If so, sorry to hear that man, thats a bummer.

I sold 3 machines this week, and i was really happy with the final prices, combined i got $1000 more than i was hoping for.

^^^

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 01:46:04 AM »
Now I know the title, and to be completely honest.......the end price should not surprise. There is alot of better known machines for around that money.
The buyer shouldnt make a profit on it.

Offline studley67

• Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 01:51:00 AM »
OK.  In another post you or your son said that you started the bidding at what the game owed you?. So if that's what it sold for, you haven't lost anything.

I think what John said pretty much sums it up.  If it was desirable, you would have had a bunch of people bidding on it.

Sorry to be blunt.  But waterworld is a terrible game (yes i've played one) There is no way you'd get 3k for one of those. To be honest, if you started the bidding at 99 cents there would have been a good chance that it finished below what you actually got for it.

fair coment,i was pissed when my son listed it and i for got whhat i payed to get it here from gelong.and i am pissed now.lesson to all..don`t play on the computer thingy when drinkinking

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 01:53:11 AM »
Just looked at the auction figuring that it sold for opening bid of 1500 ish.  Man, you made out like a demon at 1800. seriously.

Offline studley67

• Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 02:09:26 AM »
i am much happier knowing i got more than its percieved value.however as a first time seller i am a bit dissapointed a rare machine did not comand a better price.yes i got my money back ,just,and enjoyed having it in my company for a year.but yes it was a bit boring,thats why i sold it, over 13 other machines

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 02:19:06 AM »
Rare doesn't always correlate to expensive. Some rare things just aren't highly desirable, which might indicate why they are rare. Low demand?

Offline studley67

• Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 02:32:39 AM »
Rare doesn't always correlate to expensive. Some rare things just aren't highly desirable, which might indicate why they are rare. Low demand?

advice taken.and thanks for all the roms i bought of you,great product and cheap,,,,free delivery!!!!!

Offline The Silence

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 02:32:52 AM »
$1800 for a Waterworld is top dollar,  I have trouble getting $1500 for Gottliebs around that era, Big Hurt, Shaq Attack, Streetfighter, Rescue 911, World Challenge Soccer.  All very boring games after a few weeks of playing.

Offline studley67

• Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 02:39:36 AM »
thanks for the encouragement tony.you can keep your job,it sucks.good luck,pins seem to be droping in price

Marty Machine

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 03:49:38 AM »
As a regular seller, i find the ONLY start price i'll ever use is THE price i want for it if someone was going to hand me the cash right there & then (when placing the ad).

If you get only 1 bid, you're happy.
If you get more bids, that's just icing on the cake.