Author Topic: AC/DC pinball  (Read 15442 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Re: AC/DC pinball
« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2012, 10:05:23 PM »
Swinksy, did u notice the differences on the game once u did the update, notice anything major straight away ?  how long did it take. ?

maybe Ratbag can update the thread and let us know about how the guys did the machine he was talking about and if he has a link on the Stern site anywhere. That would be great cause I am assumning that alot of AC/DC Pro owners would want to run that update the moment they open their game just incase its running older code. The roms shld have a sticker with the software version I am guessing ?  !@#

ANSWER 1 - on IM the upgrade was from 1.1 to 1.6 so some scoring differences, speech, lighting effects - so yes I did notice it. Stern encourage everyone to let them know of any issues so if they hear from multiple people they then address it so keep them informed on any weird glitches. To download, transfer, connect up, activate and adjust settings about 30 minutes as was my first time and took my time.

ANSWER 2 - the link that I put in before is the public release which is the first one at 52 Mb in size. Ratbag may be talking about a release just issued to dealers for testing ???? When you boot the game up it will display it on the dmd so just check it against the software on the link below. No changeable roms that I know of just a usb - I bought a dedicated usb that will stay with the machine so I can plug and load and keep any related info with that usb for future ref or to take around to a mate with the same machine.

It's really easy, you will be right  ^^^
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Replay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2012, 11:22:25 PM »
Quote from: Caveoftreasures  

[/quote

apology accepted. best to state facts rather than just make things up.

nothing "just" made up, there is one(1) ACDC sited in Brisbane and CC lives in Brisbane
and it is/was the only ACDC sited in QLD (at the time)

it's all good  ^^^
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 11:24:37 PM by Replay »

Offline RatBag

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2012, 11:44:03 PM »
Ok as far as whats in stock just check the website ,it is updated regularly http://www.amusements4kids.com.au/
Concerning the AC/DC update,when the machines all 11 of them made it to OZ they had a very basic code installed,when the US released there Pro's on the weekend we where able to download the initial release code and update our games to play the same as the US version release,usually the updates for any Stern dont take too long say 5mins to install but the AC/DC code took atleast 20 mins.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 11:49:03 PM by RatBag »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #93 on: February 16, 2012, 12:31:54 AM »
Ratbag, how did u update the code ? was it with a supplied USB or did u go to a Stern Link. Any ideas on what the latest version was called ? like, was it version 1.1 or something like that ?  I think the machine will be even better than the prototype I played then, if there was alot of extra stuff to download, thats making the machine even better, thats going to be a big upgrade/difference.

Did u guys play the game before the upgrade and di u notice anything different. thanks in advance.  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline RatBag

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #94 on: February 16, 2012, 12:51:11 AM »
Ratbag, how did u update the code ? was it with a supplied USB or did u go to a Stern Link. Any ideas on what the latest version was called ? like, was it version 1.1 or something like that ?  I think the machine will be even better than the prototype I played then, if there was alot of extra stuff to download, thats making the machine even better, thats going to be a big upgrade/difference.

Did u guys play the game before the upgrade and di u notice anything different. thanks in advance.  ^^^
Its all in the manual and on Sterns site ,all you do is download the latest code from Stern's website (service and support then game code library)and copy it to a USB stick, with the game turned off turn on dipswitch 8 on the cpu start game and follow the prompts on the DMD.I prefer to unzip the file before copying it to my USB stick.
From memory the installed version we got was 0.96 and the update/initial release is 1.21.
You will know the difference between versions when you play it again,more sounds ,more DMD animations,some of the modes work better.
Im sure this will not be the only update they do for the pro as it took them 2yrs to sort out Spiderman and Batman

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2012, 12:55:33 AM »
thanks Ratbag, excellent info.  legend.   ^^^ ^^^ ^^^

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2012, 09:06:09 AM »
I'm pretty sure its the only one on site in SEQ, so was going with the odds. Apologies for any confusion.

And on a seperate note, TimeZone in Surfers Paradise may be getting theres this week or next.

Was contemplating a drive to North Brisbane, but I think I'll wait till one arrives in SP

Just wait for your LE to arrive mate, allthough I hear it has that fugly angus face as well...bummer.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 09:16:11 AM by Cow Corner »
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2012, 12:57:13 PM »
I'm pretty sure its the only one on site in SEQ, so was going with the odds. Apologies for any confusion.

And on a seperate note, TimeZone in Surfers Paradise may be getting theres this week or next.

Was contemplating a drive to North Brisbane, but I think I'll wait till one arrives in SP

Just wait for your LE to arrive mate, allthough I hear it has that fugly angus face as well...bummer.

But you having played the game would now understand that the Angus face isn't as bad in person? oh and where did you hear the Angus face is on the LE? I'd like that link as being a buyer of an LE would love any further info and do you have a release date? my info says the LE wont have the face on the Lower PF and even if it did who cares and the targets/flippers and so on would cover most of it.

Peter

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #98 on: February 16, 2012, 01:12:32 PM »

But you having played the game would now understand that the Angus face isn't as bad in person? oh and where did you hear the Angus face is on the LE? I'd like that link as being a buyer of an LE would love any further info and do you have a release date? my info says the LE wont have the face on the Lower PF and even if it did who cares and the targets/flippers and so on would cover most of it.

Peter
No it's bad in person imo, I don't like it. Pinballhead I think has all the differences between the machines and I could be wrong but I am pretty sure it said angus head on lower pf on LE's and Premiums. Like all stern LE's I would like to play one but the odds of finding one in the wild up here are not good.
Someone mentioned marshall stacks as targets on the mini pf in a earlier post..I am unsure if this on the LE or not but it would be cool.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #99 on: February 16, 2012, 01:52:51 PM »
I heard that the angus head will be on the lower PF. Viewed in person the head doesnt look bad at all on the pro, its just not going to be an issue on the LE. BTW the pro is a very good game of pinball, well priced for a NIB.

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2012, 04:20:59 PM »
I reckon the angus head will be on the bottom field as the inserts (eyes and mouth) are the same for the pro as the white wood pictures of the lower playfield

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2012, 06:14:55 PM »
As alot of you guys on here know, I have over 35 great DMD machines in my collection, and have played almost every DMD machine out there in my travels.
I raise this point only to show that I can compare alot of machines, and feel I have a decent grounding in alot of different designs and styles that various pinball manufacturing companies have lovingly put together for one single purpose, enjoyment.

Also, when I play any pinball machine, I play a dozen good games on any machine before I even try to make a call on its gameplay and overall appeal etc.
I also look for positives in machines first n foremost because why bag the hell out of something, rather than look at it in a positive light. Every pinball machine needs to be rated against what it was meant to do, and how it does what it was meant to do.
Example - a music style pinball like AC/DC, you might compare to a Guns n Roses if u even bothered comparing, but the main question you would first ask, is what sort of machine has Stern made, and being an AC/DC theme, how does the gameplay, feel of the game, the audio, the art packages, dot matrix displays, how good a job have they done delivering the AC/DC theme.

** And the answer here, on the Pro AC/DC, they have done a magnificent job. The fun factor, the eye candy, the enjoyment from playing this game is right up there on anything I have ever played, and as good as any of the 35 plus DMD machines I have. Anyone, who plays this game and bags it, is in my opinion, not very experienced in a wide range of pinball machines.

In other industrys, people like food critics, are paid to bag everything, they arent paid to say positive things, they are only paid to bag things. The other side of the coin, is that some professionals, are paid to say mostly positive things, and they usually do, as well as add any neutral or negative thoughts in their write up to show balance.
The only thing, I could find on the AC/DC Pro, that was a bit funny, was taking your hands off one of the flippers to shoot the cannon, but that might be fixed/upgraded to allow for a flipper button shot ? when some software changes are made so u can use the flipper button or the cannon button on the apron.

Make no mistake, at $5950, this Pro is an absolute winner, and is probably the biggest thing to happen in pinball since Pinball 2000 back in 1999. I wouldnt put my name to it, unless it was that dam good. I am not rich, I am scraping up the money to buy this game, and if I have to sell a few games to buy one, after the 2 grand deposit i have paid, I will sell a machine if i have to, and I never ever sell machines, but for this AC/DC Pro, its a must have. And let me tell anyone, who is wondering, and thinking about what the nay-sayers are saying, anyone who doesnt like the AC/DC machine, needs to check their pulse, or go back and play the game with another few pinny players, just to see just how good the audio and overall package is. and as many have now said, the face on the playfield is not ugly or out of place when playing the game, it actually looks and feels very right. Sales numbers will prove what a great trilogy of games the AC/DC models will be.

At a pinball party, complete with a/some AC/DC machines, the naysayers would be very lonely over the other side of the room, looking very shipwrecked by themselves whilst the other 99.99 percent of realistic/positive people were playing n having a blast. If u dont like this game, u need a new hobby instead of pinball.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 07:30:25 PM by Caveoftreasures »

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2012, 08:11:11 PM »
All the best with sales of the AC/DC, KJWHFAH.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 10:28:51 PM by swinks »

for pinball t-shirts

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #103 on: February 17, 2012, 10:36:12 AM »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #104 on: February 17, 2012, 11:19:44 AM »
good point KTM. 
 yep, sometimes we just want other people to share the same views as we have which is unrealistic. I am guilty of that with ac/dc.
 I guess its human nature to try n get people to like the same things as u like.  If i had my way, Harvey Norman and other companies like that would be selling all of Sterns NIB machines. Pinballs would be in every house. If Stern can make a killing on the AC/DC release for the next year or two, maybe that means they funnel more money into new titles which will be bigger n better than ever. Thats the dream anyway.  ^^^