Author Topic: Stern's Next Pin - TWD 2014 / 2015  (Read 28531 times)

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Stern's Next Pin - TWD 2014 / 2015
« Reply #525 on: April 19, 2015, 03:20:35 PM »
Not sure if anyone's done this but I swapped the plastics over behind the well walker so the smaller one is at the top :) now when hit he learns right back and it'll probably save the plastic breaking-apparently games built before November had them put on the wrong way around lol-this idea was posted by our friends on pinside.  

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Stern's Next Pin - TWD 2014 / 2015
« Reply #526 on: April 19, 2015, 10:27:14 PM »
I have always felt the Well Walker needed a custom paint job by someone who was talented with a air brush kit.

As stock, he looks a little basic and a bit shiny and not enough bloody and gory.

After using air brushing n spray paint on various other Stern plastics, the mods and detail with paint made some excellent visual add ons.
 I reckon some custom airbrushing to the Well Walker would look great. Has anyone seen anyone else with a
The Walking Dead pinball make any mods to the Well Walker ?
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Brunswick Brawler

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #527 on: April 20, 2015, 09:22:17 PM »
Looking at that close up of the Well Walker and the pop number, I'm surprised Stern didn't simply put the well walker on top of the pop bumper.  Not since the 1970s has there been a reason for anyone to shoot for a pop bumper.  Up until the 1970s, a single hit on a number 'when lit' earned a substantial number of points.

May not have worked to well here, in regards to scoring rules, with the bumper being part of a set of three.  But a bash toy on a bumper is something I'd love to have seen.  Then again I am likely not speaking for the majority - I love randomness in games which is contrary to most players who want every successful shot returning the ball to the flippers.

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #528 on: April 20, 2015, 10:04:12 PM »
You mean a smaller version of the ww on top of the pop? Yeah that would've been a nice alternative. Speaking of p/f wear - do these bash toys ever hit the side of the playfield?
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #529 on: April 20, 2015, 10:13:57 PM »
You mean a smaller version of the ww on top of the pop? Yeah that would've been a nice alternative. Speaking of p/f wear - do these bash toys ever hit the side of the playfield?

Never seen a Stern design that did or has and I have studied most.
The Well Walker just flips backwards to reveal his guts and a red Led that represents blood and red insides of a zombie.

Some people don't fully appreciate or understand bash toys on Sterns.
Play the Walking Dead or X Men or Avengers with Hulky and you soon find out they work well, have a good purpose, fit the game well and look excellent.

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #530 on: April 20, 2015, 10:32:33 PM »
I'll take your word for it. I have played twd but when you hit ww it seems to me that whole silver ring (or clamp or whatever it is) moves as well - so wondered if it moved enough to hit the p/f & over time wear. I'd never real thought about it until seeing Gorgar1's pic. Wondered if it might be a good idea to have some protection behind him.
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Brunswick Brawler

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #531 on: April 20, 2015, 10:41:56 PM »
The pop bumper, as the base of the bash toy, would give the bash toy more life.  In the same way the magnet successfully adds life to TWD LE/Premium's WW, Xmen's wolverine and Ironman's Ironmonger.  What I don't like about the TWD Pro is that the ball just bounces off the WW without any action - the WW absorbs  the energy of the ball, preventing it from being a 'feel good' shot.

Using WW as a toper for a bumper could have been cheap and would have added heap of fun, but I'm sure it never came to Stern's minds.  I expect it could have been mechanically designed to also spill its guts when hit.

...maybe on a future game?

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #532 on: April 20, 2015, 10:51:24 PM »
I think you've explained well why something other than a bash toy may have been a nice alternative. I really hope they drop the bash toy for the next release. A third pop with a "guts-spilling" well walker would have been novel & might have improved game play. If you need a bash-toy it might be better up the back where it's a tough shot & a bit more of a novelty. Really cool idea BB.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #533 on: April 20, 2015, 10:51:25 PM »
The metal bracket only moves slightly but not enough to hit the PF :) I put a big arse led under the well walker so when hit he swings back and boom a nice big flash of red :)

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #534 on: April 20, 2015, 10:54:36 PM »
The metal bracket only moves slightly but not enough to hit the PF :) I put a big arse led under the well walker so when hit he swings back and boom a nice big flash of red :)

Cool, so it moves but not enough to touch anything - sweet. One less for Cliffy to design. Love the big-arse red led idea  ^^^

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #535 on: April 21, 2015, 01:27:43 AM »
The pop bumper, as the base of the bash toy, would give the bash toy more life.  In the same way the magnet successfully adds life to TWD LE/Premium's WW, Xmen's wolverine and Ironman's Ironmonger.  What I don't like about the TWD Pro is that the ball just bounces off the WW without any action - the WW absorbs  the energy of the ball, preventing it from being a 'feel good' shot.

Using WW as a toper for a bumper could have been cheap and would have added heap of fun, but I'm sure it never came to Stern's minds.  I expect it could have been mechanically designed to also spill its guts when hit.

...maybe on a future game?

With your excellent idea in mind, I will do some investigating and some creative thinking and see if the Well Walker or even a smaller version or different zombies can be placed and attached on top of the pop bumpers to move and also add visual excitement.

An example of this has been done back in 1991 with my Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles machine with the placement of the TMNT crew sitting on top of the pop bumpers. Simple but very effective.

Offline spacejam0

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #536 on: April 21, 2015, 07:39:42 AM »

Although it's not a "bash toy" I have noticed on a couple of the AC/DC pro's (don't know if it is the same for the other versions) that they use a wire coming out of the TNT targets to divert the ball from going straight down the guts when it comes out the bell target and I have seen this wire cause a small banana shaped strath in the clear coat. I removed this wire for that reason.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #537 on: April 21, 2015, 08:27:10 AM »
Have the same wire on my HUO ACDC Pro and it has never touched or scratched playfield.
I can only imagine nudging the machine would stop straight down the middle lost balls on games without the tiny wire.
Will keep an eye out on mine after reading your helpful hint. Thanks.

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #538 on: April 21, 2015, 08:55:12 AM »
The pro on Hamilton Island had the wire. I found that it slowed the game down.
On my LE, I used to get a lot of STTGs but noticed the front left leg was about half a  degree lower than the right. Made the slight adjustment and no moe STTG!
A bit off the WD thread but like any machine, a small adjustement makes a big difference to the enjoyment of play.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline skywalker

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #539 on: April 21, 2015, 10:16:27 AM »
After 2K+ plays the WW has taken a pounding, the std decal around the metal ring as split, did get a PinGraffix set but is starting to split quicker, no big deal really, but i did notice the WW was starting to get very sloppy in movement, Pulled it out & checked it all mounting screws/bolts hinge hardware etc had worked they way loose, Loctite'd it all up & have noticed WW mech all tightened up plays better with less forward/back movement, looks great with the Red flasher lighting up hes guts when WW is all the way back, but plays better/smother with less movement IMO