Author Topic: Dennis Nordman at this years U.K. Pinball Party  (Read 731 times)

Offline Replicas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • North West England
Dennis Nordman at this years U.K. Pinball Party
« on: September 01, 2010, 09:34:04 AM »
Hi Guys
This years guest designer at our Pinball Party was Dennis Nordman, and what a swell guy he was. You could not wish to meet a nicer person, as well as signing all sorts of stuff which included playfields, manuals, flyers and plastics he took the time out to have a conversation with you. And seeing it was his first time outside the U.S. he really enjoyed himself.
Great Guy.
Here's a couple of pictures of Dennis and myself with my Whitewater which he kindly signed the translight. (notice the polo shirt I am wearing)
Darren.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Dennis Nordman at this years U.K. Pinball Party
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 11:12:41 PM »

Cool polo shirt  ^^^

I've yet to meet a designer. If I had a choice, I'd like to meet John Trudeau and ask him how he designed GTB Spirit and how he came up with that funky ruleset. He also designed CFTBL - another great title.

Did he tell you any interesting stories ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Replicas

• Forum Posts:
  • North West England
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 08:09:51 AM »

Cool polo shirt  ^^^

I've yet to meet a designer. If I had a choice, I'd like to meet John Trudeau and ask him how he designed GTB Spirit and how he came up with that funky ruleset. He also designed CFTBL - another great title.

Did he tell you any interesting stories ?

Nino
Spoke to him for ages about Elvira and how much fun she was to work with on both pinballs, also one thing I did not know was that Dennis had left Bally/Williams just before Scared Stiff was launched , thus missing out on the launch party. But he did have a rare video of the party itself that one of the staff filmed,not many people have seen this and we where very lucky to get to watch it. Also when you look at the Whitewater translight you will notice a truck in the distance, well that is Dennis's own Dodge panel van, which he still owns.
He is now designing custom made doll houses as well as the Whola Nellie project.
I consider myself very lucky, this year it was Dennis, Last year it was Steve Richie and the year before that it was my personal favorite designer John Trudeua all of them where the nicest people you could wish to meet.
We all got a great deal of pleasure from meeting these guys yet they can't seem to see just what interests us so much in a job that they used to have a few years ago. To them it was just a job which they enjoyed doing, to us its a job we would die for. What a weird sensation having people asking you loads of strange questions about the job you once had at a pinball factory.
Hope you guys down under can do something similar when you have your next expo. Its a real buzz to meet one of your favorite pinball designers.

Darren.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 02:41:10 PM »

If I recall, John was at an Expo (had to be in the UK) with a Spirit pinball. There was a photo of him standing in front of it.

I think the plan for the Oz Expo is to bring over a designer. That would be very interesting.

Offline Replicas

• Forum Posts:
  • North West England
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 08:17:45 AM »

If I recall, John was at an Expo (had to be in the UK) with a Spirit pinball. There was a photo of him standing in front of it.

I think the plan for the Oz Expo is to bring over a designer. That would be very interesting.

Nino
That would have been our 2008 show here in the U.K.
Sounds like he is one of your favorite designers and it seems like you have a soft spot for his machine Spirit, So here is a picture of him playing the game. Taken at our 2008 show.
Darren.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 09:12:30 AM »
Your being spoiled Nino - another Spirit bit of history to add to the collection!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 09:43:31 AM »

Thanks Darren - Another picture of John playing a Spirit. I'm getting spolied at the moment, but I know others will be enjoying the pictures. Spirit is a game that I've wanted for many years and I gave up on them years ago until Childs brought in TWO - which I both snapped up and as soon as Pascal Janin has written the code for the SYS80 "all in one" to support Spirit - Then I'll be buying two boards and starting a restore thread !

Outstanding machine. Seldom gets the credit it deserves, because they are hard to track down and play !