Author Topic: My home made Vortex pinball  (Read 3227 times)

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
My home made Vortex pinball
« on: January 02, 2009, 03:41:35 PM »
Hi guys... thought it was about time i pulled my finger out and posted a few pics of my home brew Vortex machine i built about 15 years ago. Four player SS, double level playfield (one below the main pf, viewed thru a perspex window in the main pf).

It started out as an empty gottlieb Charlies Angels cab, using parts ratted from several different machines including the Charlies Angels from which it originated. Playfield(s) were built from scratch, Backglass is just a Star trek poster with the name removed :lol . Simple and not real imaginative i know but it was the best i could do at the time.

It took me nearly a year to build, and much trial and error.. including the electronics (all my own design except for the Bally displays i used)... not a microprocessor in sight!

Hope you all like... i'll add more later if anyone wants to know more

Cheers... Mitch
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 10:05:35 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Yass
Re: My home made Vortex pinball
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 04:30:16 PM »
Man this is awesome. Eventually i will definately build something of my own but im nowhere near doing something like that yet. Well Done!

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 04:36:00 PM »
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 05:48:42 PM »

That is SIMPLY AWESOME !!!!!

I am lost for words - that looks absolutely incredible. You will need to tell us MORE about this machine ;

How long did it take ?
Did you use Gottlieb playfield parts - I like the lane guides !

More pix, please !

#*# #*# #*#
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 06:06:10 PM »
Thanks guys. Give me time to get some more pics of the inside/boards etc and i'll add more. I only wish i had taken pics when i actually built it, you see i had no idea then that anyone would actually be interested in (or care) how the game all came together (at the time i built it i mean).

I sent pics of this game to Michael Shalhoub when i ordered his latest book. He said he really liked it and that he'd like to feature this game in his next book! so there's something to look forward to hey? #*# How cool is that???!!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 08:57:27 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 06:48:23 PM »
You didnt think we'd be interested!!!! We want details mate! You should be so proud of this as it is just unbelievable. No more complaining about the artwork etc, its all your own choice. Multi level playfield, man thats so cool!!!

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 07:06:13 PM »
You sir are a genius. I tip my hat off to you. Well done! I could not even begin to imagine how to go about doing this.

What was your motivation?

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 07:06:41 PM »
Keen to know what sort of controller is in use... !@#
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline tonyt

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 06:08:22 AM »
This is very impressive, well done!.
Looking forward to hearing more about it.

Offline Nug

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
  • NPC non-factory CEO
    • Coconut Island
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 07:49:54 AM »
hey, sweet.    *%*
oh my mistake.. you are wrong !

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 10:20:25 AM »
Man I thought my Asteroid Annie was rare!  With a production run of 1 'Vortex' wins hands down #*#

Well done, this must have taken for ever,  looks super proffesional, luv the sunken playfield under the perspex.

Great Stuff $%$
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 02:02:23 PM »
Ok.. a little background into how this game came together.

As mentioned before, it started out as a Gtb Charlies Angels that was in very poor condition, that I picked up at the same time as my Buck Rogers and Solar Ride. I actually went to buy the Buck Rogers only (for $100 not working but complete), from a caravan park in Laurieton (NSW midnorth coast). On arriving I saw the Charlies Angels sitting outside the gamesroom, with a water damaged backglass (it had been rained on, half of the art gone), and no boards, displays etc. Also he had the Solar Ride he was selling for $150 (working but memory problems).

Anyway after looking at and buying the Buck and Solar Ride, I was offered the Charlies Angels for free! Who was I to complain? I then borrowed an F150 ute from my cousin to haul them home. The CA sat in the shed for a few months while I got the other two going, and deciding what to do with it.

At one point I considered trying to restore the CA as well, as I had played and liked this game. It had a really nice pf which I ended up raiding for parts (im kinda sorry I did that now). But the backglass was shot and I thought id never find another so at that point the plan to build my own game was hatched. Id already built several smaller 2/3rd size pinball games since getting hooked on pins a few years prior to this one. All but one of these had since been scrapped so now I had a desire to create a full size version!!

First thing I did was come up with an interesting pf layout. Not long before starting this id played Haunted House and was very taken with the idea of a smaller pf below the main one.. so this idea was a must! I decided to be a bit different and turn it round opposite to HH. I actually started with the lower pf design and layout. Drawing it out onto a piece of plywood I had on hand, and drilling and cutting for the parts before hand painting the artwork (id already decided on a space theme as it was simple to draw spaceships and planets etc, and id found the Star Trek poster that I used behind the backglass).

A mixture of Gtb, Stern/bally and Wms  parts went into the game. Originally I had bumper assys from a Stern Dracula on the main pf, and one from the CA pf on the lower pf. Recently I changed these to newer style Wms/Bally bumper bodies and clear blue caps. On the lower pf, drop targets, stand up targets and flipper assys came from a Dracula pf. The slingshot kicker and lane kickers came from a Wms Superstar pf and the Dracula pf respectively. Some of the coils were rewound or made from scratch as needed. The kicker for the top kickout hole (obscured by the piece of Perspex top right in the 2nd pic, put there to keep the ball from jumping out), was hand made.

The main pf I made from mdf board… not ideal I know, but its held up well over the years. Once again hand painted… spray painted much of the art masked off and sprayed, and some of it hand drawn. Some of the lettering was hand written and the rest done with rub on transfer lettering. Automotive acrylic spray paint and sharpie pens were used before being clearcoated with acrylic then mylared. The window is 3/16’’ Perspex recessed into the pf. Drop target assy, slingshot kickers, and main flipper assys are from the CA pf, the latter using bally/stern coils. Because I used a Stern transformer I couldn’t use the Gtb coil on the target bank so I hand made my own coil from scratch. Standup targets are from the Superstar and Dracula pf’s. The brackets for the slingshot coils (from the Drac pf), had to be cut, bent and welded to clear the lower pf, my brother helped me with this as he was the welder in the family.. so that was the only work not done by me. Lamp inserts for both pf’s came from the CA and Drac pf’s that the other parts came from.

Much trial n error went into the placement of some of the posts/guides etc to get the best game play possible. Pics below show the underside of the pf’s, wiring etc. Notice in the top left of the last pic the Up Kicker and pvc tube to direct the ball. And YES it was a royal pain in the arse getting it to work reliably! I used a modified Gtb bumper coil bracket to hold the Wms coil and microswitch.

Next post I’ll go into some detail about the electronics. 

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 02:23:15 PM »

Great update, although I must admit, it is just mind boggling that you have a working pinball from scratch. Most "home made" machines LOOK "home made" - This machine looks like it was built around the time of the early system 80s perhaps ? I like the "classic" look of the game. If it was a game in an arcade - I would definitely play it.

How good would it be to have Vortex and Coconut Island side-by-side.  #*#

$%$
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline 63wizz

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 02:27:28 PM »
All i can say is this is a fantastic looking machine and a great job done building it  #*#

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 02:29:39 PM »
OMG Mitch....I am just lost for words.

To think somebody could achieve this, you should be so proud!

Thanks for sharing this game with us!