Author Topic: The adventure of your first pinball purchase.  (Read 5939 times)

Offline rd350ypvs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: The adventure of your first pinball purchase.
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2012, 10:01:21 AM »
I wouldn't like to say if it would be that economical nowadays. The average new pinball say Tron is about £4500 here, dunno what the prices are like in france. Ebay ones are rare and local to me about 6 miles away someone is trying to sell a T2 for £2000 lol, not even shopped, greed pays a large part in this hobby now:(

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2012, 10:28:40 AM »
I wouldn't like to say if it would be that economical nowadays. The average new pinball say Tron is about £4500 here, dunno what the prices are like in france. Ebay ones are rare and local to me about 6 miles away someone is trying to sell a T2 for £2000 lol, not even shopped, greed pays a large part in this hobby now:(

That sucks for you guys.
Feel free to post an introduction thread here: http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?board=2.0
I'm sure you'll get a warm welcome, it is great to have more international members, and a lot of guys will miss this thread.

Offline Pinballesquire

• Forum Posts:
  • Central Coast NSW
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2012, 11:11:46 PM »
Some great stories here and a few free lessons to avoid learning the hard way!

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2012, 09:27:05 PM »
I bought my first machine, black rose in December of 2006 at age 16. I had always been fascinated with pinball machines as a small child and considered having one in your own home, the penultimate expression of luxury! So in 2004 my family went for a trip to the gold coast. In the downstairs area where the pool was, there was a little arcade. Ventured inside and among the arcade machines were two pinballs, Indy and teed off. Yet again I was drawn to them and by the end of the trip I'd put at least 30 bucks of my dads coins evenly into each of the machines cashboxes.

On my way home I was getting excited at the prospect of looking up prices of pinball machines and hunting for my first one! At the time I was very fortunate to have a very high paying job so I had thousands saved up even by that age. Jumped on the net and like any noob, strolled off to bumper action and made some inquiries. Leaving the place depressed thinking that all machines cost over 3 grand..(teed off was quoted at 3.4! And Indy was 6.5k) I was disllusioned.

However I started looking at the private markets, mainly in the ol trading post..and began catching buses, trams and trains all across Melbourne in search of my first machine (being 16 at the time I didn't have a licence) I even caught the bus to Lara, Victoria! to view a gottlieb sure shot EM. As Christmas was coming soon, I was planning on securing my first machine to coincide with Christmas to soften the blow I would receive when my dad would open the roller door one day and see a pinball casually residing in his garage. %$%

December 21, 2006 I set off at 9am to catch the bus to broadmeadows, where I would travel 20 mins by train to eltham. Got off the train and walked 15 mins to this old mans house. He was an ex jukebox operator and he had three pins..attack from mars, getaway 2 and a dr who. I was interested in the attack from mars but he wanted a heap for it..I couldn't understand why at the time..but I can now! We started looking at the getaway..it was very tired and needed a bit of work. Being a complete noob I was after something that was decent right from go. Strongly considered it, he wanted 2k. Told him id think about it and walked off back to the eltham train station. I set off for mulgrave which is the other side of Melbourne about 1.5 hrs in the train, to see a black rose and a no fear. I needed the seller to pick me up from the station as it was too long of a walk to his place   we arrived at his house and instantly fell in love with the black rose. I got it for 2.3k in average to poor asthetic condition. Asked him if he could deliver it and he dropped it off the next day using his station wagon that had its rear door tied down as it barely fit the machine in there.

Told nobody to use the garage until christmas as I had a surprise to show them. Being Christmas my parents weren't too hard on me since then I have adjusted that garage to accommodate 9 more machines. My grandma hasn't been spared either, I crammed 3 more into her garage for good measure, making a total of 12   

12 Is just the beginning though  ^&^

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2012, 09:41:48 PM »
Wow! Great story, thanks for sharing  ^^^

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2012, 09:54:45 PM »
agree great story, and your doing well with 12 machines at a young age  ^^^
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2012, 08:01:57 AM »
That is amazing - you certainly showed plenty of dedication to find that first pinball machine!

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2012, 09:04:13 AM »
Good story

BR was my first purchase as well  $#$
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2012, 09:09:42 AM »

What a great story 4_amusement_only, thanks for sharing!  #*#
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2012, 10:50:05 AM »
Love it, catching trains and buses around to find your first game, wonder what the bus driver would have thought if you were waiting at the bus stop with a pinball beside you  :lol