Author Topic: Hi from Lindsay  (Read 1015 times)

Offline Peach

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Redcliffe
Re: Hi from Lindsay
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 09:31:51 PM »
 %)%
Life is short...smile while you still have teeth  ;-)

Offline Pinlinds

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 10:29:20 PM »
Welcome to Aussie Pinball, great to have you here.

If you get the chance can you please tell us more about the days growing up in SA, were there many games around? What about the before the crackdown, say in the 1970s?

I think prior to the ban the pinball market was very healthy, most milk bars would have had 2 or 3 pins and bigger shops up to 8. Good variety as well. Lot of Gottlieb domination in the EM days with Williams and Bally taking over when SS came into play. Then videos made an appearance and sometime in about 81/82 the government declared pinnies a form of gambling (probably because they look like bingo machines). Videos were OK though so the coin-op industry did grow. Many operators sold machines over the boarder or into private homes which was legal, you could own them but not operate them. I bought my first pin a Williams Stardust from a shopkeeper who had 2 of his own rahter than from an operator and he was scared he was going to get nicked if the machines were found on his property. I bought it for 70 rand, which at the time would have been the equivalent of $50Aus! My mate bought the other one. I was twelve at the time and I kid you not we had to carry them home. All my mates came along, 2 to a leg and off we went, I wish I had photos. Then in the early 90s some big money crowd with no coin op knowledge opened up some big family entertainment centres and imported several containers loads of pins (Addams, Getaways, Starwars etc) which the cops raided after a while and confiscated. They took the whole thing to court and sanity prevailed for a change and they were declared legal.  Of course many operators who had had a handful of pins got them out of storage and started operating them. So you had this amazing mix of EMs, early SS and a 10 year gap to the DMD era. Then guys started importing container loads of old pins from places like Germany which had a huge second hand market. Problem was pins need more love and care than videos and many operators just operated junk. Eventually it all fizzled out much like the coin op market here with just a small group of mainly independent operators left. I moved 5 years ago and did operate pins in some pubs and pizza parlours as a hobby before I left. It really is fantastic to see how alive the hobby is here and seeming to grow with container loads of all types of pins finding their way over here.   

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 11:01:37 PM »
Lindsay, big welcome - and I can see a very interesting Sunday Pinball Questionnaire coming on!

“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline jyebow

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland, NSW
  • GTB Pioneer, Bally Hi-Lo Ace, WMS Space Shuttle,
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 11:39:36 PM »
Welcome Lindsay, Great Intro posts. Great to see you here.
GTB Pioneer, Bally Hi-Lo Ace, WMS Space Shuttle, Data East Lethal Weapon 3

Offline Replicas

• Forum Posts:
  • North West England
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2009, 03:34:41 AM »
Welcome to Aussie pinball Lindsay.
My Gettaway from England ended up in S.A. wasn't you that bought it was it?
Darren.

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2009, 09:34:58 PM »
 %)%