Author Topic: Hello from Jomac  (Read 2547 times)

Offline Jomac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Hello from Jomac
« on: February 03, 2009, 02:44:20 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am pretty sure I know a lot of people here already , I am better known for monitor chassis work but I do provide full technical support to the amusement industry , below is a snip from another thread I posted in.

So everyone knows I'm not jumping into unknown waters here , I have also been repairing pinball's as long as I have been in business , I do mostly the boards now as the refurbishing side of it is too time consuming for me.
I used to write technical topics for LAI magazine Australia and StarTech Journal in the US covering pinball's but as I specialize in Chassis and Sega Board Repairs many people don't know me for Pinball board repairs.

About me and when I get spare time , I am an active anti spam activist administrating on some of the worlds largest blacklists although it did get me in a bit of hot water a few years ago when I become the first person in the world to be sued by a spammer.

I'm a rev head of course a Holden man :) , also have ridden dirt bikes all my life but lately having plenty of fun with the YFZ450 Quad but also cant stay away from technology and play around with Solar Power , inverters etc .
If I'm lucky I manage to slip in about 6 hrs sleep :)

Joey

Offline felixthadog

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Hello from Jomac
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 03:12:33 PM »
Hi & welcome Joey!  #*#

Matthew

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 03:13:53 PM »

$.$ Joey and  %)%

Great intro post. Look forward to you contribution on the Forum.

$#$
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Peach

• Forum Posts:
  • Redcliffe
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 03:16:23 PM »
Hi Joey &  %)%

Cheers Peach  %$%
Life is short...smile while you still have teeth  ;-)

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 03:35:27 PM »
 %)% mr jomac
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 04:49:05 PM »
Hi Joey, didnt know you did pinball pcb repairs. You have a great reputation for sure.

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 05:45:48 PM »
welcome mate

more sega boards sent today too....

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 09:15:29 PM »
 %)%

Offline v8racefan

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 09:52:38 PM »
Hi Joey just curious to what pinball boards you repair, do you repair most boards or only a select few, please also advise of your hourly repair rates. thanks.
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline Pinfan

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 09:59:14 PM »
Hi Joey just curious to what pinball boards you repair, do you repair most boards or only a select few, please also advise of your hourly repair rates. thanks.

+ 1 ^^^
Some people have big HEADS !

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 10:14:39 PM »
First of all, hello and welcome.

About me and when I get spare time , I am an active anti spam activist administrating on some of the worlds largest blacklists although it did get me in a bit of hot water a few years ago when I become the first person in the world to be sued by a spammer.

Two questions: how did that work out? (and a subsidiary question - Was it Spamhaus or SPEWS you were involved with at the time?)

And can you comment on the future of SPF (Sender Policy Framework) in regards to spam reduction?

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 12:22:30 AM »
Welcome, and would love to hear more of the spam story - fits right in with the spamways situation in this place...   *)*
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Jomac

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 05:35:59 AM »

Basically anything that is repairable , I haven't come across many that cant be repaired apart from early system 80 gottliebs , 80% of pinball boards I repair on the bench without a test rig or machine needed , including display drivers , MPU boards , Sound boards , driver boards etc no matter what brand as long as parts are available , although I do have just about everything I need.
I can burn all Eproms , pals , gals , you name it , EG: just converted an old Fire power sound and speech board to 2716 eproms because 2516's are to old now , will fix an old FJ holden ( Hankin ) MPU tomorrow as well so old is ok :)
Talking of old I can make "any" electro mechanical pinball work as long as it is complete but of course Gottliebs are my favorite :)

As for cost , most people know it can cost more to fix some boards than they are worth so I rarely ever charge on an hourly basis , I consider the harder ones a challenge so I dont charge for my learning or fun :)
I will always tell you what I think it's going to cost before insulting you with a bill , I always prefer you were happy first and money later , a lot of people can vouch for me on that :)

Offline Jomac

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 06:25:24 AM »
First of all, hello and welcome.

Two questions: how did that work out? (and a subsidiary question - Was it Spamhaus or SPEWS you were involved with at the time?)

And can you comment on the future of SPF (Sender Policy Framework) in regards to spam reduction?

Thanks ,

Basically Wayne Mansfield was Australia's largest spammer running a company at the time called T3 Direct and many other aliases  , thankfully due to this case Australia now has the worlds most strict anti spam laws .
Poor old Wayne had the world against him when he said these words to me " I am in this business ( spamming ) because I dare to challenge the rights of anyone who tries to shut me down"  Well basically Wayne waved a red flag at me and I promised him that I would take up that challenge.

At the time I was on a capped internet plan that I was constantly exceeding because spammers kept using up my bandwidth , Most people still struggle to understand this , but you pay to receive spam , it doesn't matter if you delete it you have already paid for it , the sender ( spammer pays nothing ) in reality it's the same thing as being forced to take a reverse charge phone call without the option of saying no.
Most people think spam is the same as Junk mail you get in your letter box but it is very different , because you pay to receive spam , but you dont pay to receive junk mail in your letter box , the sender / advertiser pays for that.

In short life become very difficult for Mansfield , to point that any ISP hosting him was instantly blacklisted around the world until he was removed as a customer , I am not ignoring the question about Spamhaus or Spews although I confirm the problems being listed in these blacklists can cause is massive for any service provider or customer.
Steve linford was from Spamhaus fights the same cause I do so was a great support , SPEWS doesn't exist :) No one knows who SPEWS is or who managed the databases , It is now called aSpews and the administration dont exist :)
SORBS is another I am involved with , I also work with large Providers who were spam friendly hosts who have decided to clean up their act.,  as anyone who has ever tried to get removed from some of these lists know it is almost impossible , unless you know the right things to say in the right places.

Back to Mansfield , he was forced to concede defeat when the judge informed him that everything I said and that everything posted publically about him was fact , it could not be proved I had anything to do with SPEWS or getting him blacklisted in every ( I mean every ) black list in existence.

He was back soon after up to his old tricks but this time via unknown sources every move he made was used to turn the cards on him after the new Australian laws come into effect , His was finally fined over 4 million dollars that forced his company into bankruptcy and also fined just over 1 million dollars personally.

There is obviously a lot more that went on behind the scenes and things that I cant talk about because of the work I am still currently involved in.

SPF , I am a fan of this and honestly cant understand why it hasn't taken off quicker than it has , people are catching on slowly that is does help , not a total answer by any means but certainly effective.
I think these days the most effective solution is outbound SMTP filtering considering that 80% of the worlds spamming is done via compromised Trojan or virus infected pc's on larger networks.

Offline Jomac

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 06:26:47 AM »
welcome mate

more sega boards sent today too....

Almost got the bench cleaned up too :)