Author Topic: A NEW TOY. BARGAIN $ $169 TO $188 INSTAED OF $299  (Read 900 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
A NEW TOY. BARGAIN $ $169 TO $188 INSTAED OF $299
« on: April 12, 2011, 09:47:40 PM »
I have a new toy. It cost me only $169 on special. Instead of buying a APPLE IPAD2, i purchased the "DREAMBOOK" instead. I saved apx $600 ! This new piece of technology is a ABSOLUTE BARGAIN. It has ALOT of features and is apparently Americas highest selling E-pad which is why i went for it. It has outsold the Apple I-pad in the USA cause its a bargain for anyone to get into it.
I can have my cake n eat it too. I didnt really want to spend $750, so the $169 (RRP normally apx $299) was a no brainer. Its currently on special at BIG W for $188.
Large 10 inch screen, minimum 4 hrs watching video battery life , charger etc etc.This new E-Pad is well worth a look. Well worth it. ( a link to the brochure is below)

http://www.pioneercomputers.com.au/products/3172/DreamBook%20ePad.pdf

It does everything i want it to. I can wi-fi and get on the internet from home or whilst i am out n about at any wi-fi hotspots, i can hard wire connect to the net with a cable anywhere, or I can get on the net via a 3G internet dongle, surf the web, check email etc. You can buy 1 million different Apps, it plays music, it takes basic photos and has video, it has excellent graphics to play movies, has google maps, alarm clock, Android, touchscreen and many many great things.

I wanted something i could put alot of pinball photos on and have with me, plus show videos of the collection, play my favourite treky movies, music etc etc.
Well worth the money for sure. I think its a bargain and am very happy with it. The more i play with it, the better it is.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 09:51:01 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
WOW - if this wasnt cavey posting here i would have sworn it was one of those spammers that come on every now and again to sell something!

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
WOW - if this wasnt cavey posting here i would have sworn it was one of those spammers that come on every now and again to sell something!
%.% %.% %.% %.%

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
No comment on the spammer thing.

It does look like an interesting device, but it is missing a couple of must-haves for me (GPS and 3G built-in). I am going to purchase a tablet sooner or later, currently looking at the Samsung Galaxy Tab which is around $400 on eBay.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
AJ, u r right, it doesnt have it built in, but both are available by the little plug in thing that comes in the box and plugs in the side of the unit once u get the 3G card, which both the Samsung and IPad2 need as well. The difference ofcourse, is those other units have the cards hidden as opposed to having a small square thing attached to the side like this one.

The Samsung one is good, I think this one and the Samsung one look almost identical. As time goes on, If i need more of anything, i can always pass this to one of the kids n upgrade up but so far, it does everything i need it to, and the savings $ were the real reason.

The reason i thought this would be worth a go, is that if i ever left it somewhere accidentally, or if it was in my car whilst i was out n about, the replacement cost would be under $200, but the more expensive IPad etc, would run me up $750. Knowing my luck, i would leave it somewhere or someone would nick it from my car.

If ya get the Samsung one, let us know how u go with it. It is apparently, also very very good.  ^^^

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Brett gave me a demo of this device last weekend and I was quite impressed.  Brett is still learning to drive this thing properly. I had to help him find the on button, Gee and you call me Rupert  !@#
Don't worry Brett you will be driving it like you drive your P.C. in no time (Brett can use his pc quite well guys)
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
Don't worry Brett you will be driving it like you drive your P.C. in no time (Brett can use his pc quite well guys)
[/quote]
Yes, i couldnt even find the "ON" button. I just purchased my first set of eye glasses at age 40. Anyone else going friggin blind with age ! I certainly am.  ^&^
And yes, i am hopeless with computers without Beakys regular help. I can type n ramble on with a post, and thats about it.
Whats pathetic now, is I have to have a pair of glasses in my car, and a pair of eye glasses at home to read anything. Without them, i am completely screwed.
To those who havent hit 40 yet, prepare for eye glasses.lol  and extra grey hair !  @.@

Offline faza

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
Yes, i couldnt even find the "ON" button. I just purchased my first set of eye glasses at age 40. Anyone else going friggin blind with age ! I certainly am.  ^&^
And yes, i am hopeless with computers without Beakys regular help. I can type n ramble on with a post, and thats about it.
Whats pathetic now, is I have to have a pair of glasses in my car, and a pair of eye glasses at home to read anything. Without them, i am completely screwed.
To those who havent hit 40 yet, prepare for eye glasses.lol  and extra grey hair !  @.@

[/quote]
Yeah Brett im the same once 40 hits the eyesight goes need to get my first pair of glasses really noticed it when restoring my Addams especially in poor light .

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
I hear you guys, 10 years ago I could solder surface mount components and see if there was a solder bridge between 2 legs. But now a days if I don't have a good light source soldering a wire on to coil becomes hard to see.  @.@ .And now i need a magnifying glass to read a schematic, I have just worked out why I like schematics in pdf format, because i can zoom in and read the small writing.  :lol
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
It's all about your particular requirements.

If I get a tablet I need to be able to carry it one-handed (so 7" screen), to have the internet accessible while I am out and about (hence built-in 3G) while using GPS (hence that built-in as well). And the software I like is free on Android. The rest (email, web browsing, Facebook etc at home or work) can all be done on any tablet.

So in my case the best combination I've seen to date comes together in the Galaxy Tab.

My son purchased an Optus MyTab and is happy with it - it fits all the criteria but has a few limitations including very poor screen legibility in direct sunlight that make it not as suitable for my particular usage.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
On the weekend, I will try n make/or find a video of this new DREAMBOOK and how it works etc. ** Only because it is so inexpensive at $188 is it really worth a look because it has alot of bang for its buck. I will try n see if there is a manufacturer video.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 01:56:29 PM by Caveoftreasures »

Offline tstevens

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne

Thanks for the post mate,I am going to buy 2 (One for the wife & me) at that price BUT i think yours is a 7inch??
Not sure let me know????

Trying to buy online and the only one i can get for the $169 - $199 price range is the 7" Epad,The 10" starts at $299.

Did you buy yours online through there website......Let me know.....

cheers
Troy

I have a new toy. It cost me only $169 on special. Instead of buying a APPLE IPAD2, i purchased the "DREAMBOOK" instead. I saved apx $600 ! This new piece of technology is a ABSOLUTE BARGAIN. It has ALOT of features and is apparently Americas highest selling E-pad which is why i went for it. It has outsold the Apple I-pad in the USA cause its a bargain for anyone to get into it.
I can have my cake n eat it too. I didnt really want to spend $750, so the $169 (RRP normally apx $299) was a no brainer. Its currently on special at BIG W for $188.
Large 10 inch screen, minimum 4 hrs watching video battery life , charger etc etc.This new E-Pad is well worth a look. Well worth it. ( a link to the brochure is below)

http://www.pioneercomputers.com.au/products/3172/DreamBook%20ePad.pdf

It does everything i want it to. I can wi-fi and get on the internet from home or whilst i am out n about at any wi-fi hotspots, i can hard wire connect to the net with a cable anywhere, or I can get on the net via a 3G internet dongle, surf the web, check email etc. You can buy 1 million different Apps, it plays music, it takes basic photos and has video, it has excellent graphics to play movies, has google maps, alarm clock, Android, touchscreen and many many great things.

I wanted something i could put alot of pinball photos on and have with me, plus show videos of the collection, play my favourite treky movies, music etc etc.
Well worth the money for sure. I think its a bargain and am very happy with it. The more i play with it, the better it is.

Troy Stevens
(Cant Live Without My Genie!!)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
Available thru Big W at $188 but there is a NEW MODEL called the Dreambook Pro for $199, its a newer model which is slighty different/better. (link below)http://www.pioneercomputers.com.au/products/info.asp?c1=183&c2=185&id=3257

Best to call the Manufacturer's Help Line on 1300 88 32 18. Also, website at www.pioneer.net.au

ALSO, before you decide, TELSTRA has a model which is similar, and has one or two different features, and its called the T-Touch Tab at $149 from Target, on sale right now, reduced from $299 if u buy a Telstra Data Plan $50 recharge card for it. Both operate using the Android operating system.

I just cant see the benefit of buying the I-Pad at over $740 and I am hearing reports that people are having reception issues with the I-Pad2.
Go and play with the Dreambook version and the Telstra version. Both are the best value on the market for such little money. Why pay big $ for the Apple name.

Offline tstevens

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Thanks for VERY DETAILED info COT......Much appreciated.....PM sent ^^^
Troy Stevens
(Cant Live Without My Genie!!)

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
If you are looking for something with mobile internet (ie able to use the mobile phone system) then here are my comments:-

Don't buy a Telstra Tab as these are rubbish - underpowered and poor resistive touch screen.

If you are looking for a mainstream cheap alternative then the Optus MyTab is worth a look at the price, but have to say it is underpowered. While is has a resistive touch-screen it is actually well implemented and works fine.

If you are looking for a unit that you can hold in one hand (and yes, it can fit in your pocket - shirt or pants) then the 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab is a definite winner. I purchased one at $408 which I thought was a good buy but they are now available for less than that if you can still find them (Telstra had them for $299 online but has sold out). Very nice unit, (definitely not underpowered, responsive touch-screen, GPS works well) and honestly the 7" form factor is very convenient for portability but sometimes when looking at websites the 10+" form factor would be more better. But for me portability was more important, and I have no hesitation in recommending one if this is what you need, especially when it has come down to such a good price.

In the 10+" form factor, two very good units are being made available soon - the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10" (10.1V) which is the thicker version exclusively released to Vodafone (a thinner version is to follow later in the year), and the Motorola Xoom (10") which will be exclusive to Telstra. Both of these use the new Android (3.0 aka Honeycomb) designed more specifically for tablets. Obviously these will be expensive but if you can wait towards the end of the run you may find some good buying as with the 7" Galaxy Tab.