Author Topic: Stern Dracula restore; PART 2  (Read 6620 times)

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Re: Stern Dracula restore; PART 2
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2009, 02:03:45 AM »
Coin Door:
While the backbox base coat was drying, I got stuck into the coin door, totally dismantling it then stripping the old paint with the clean n strip disc in my drill. Then it was wiped down with Prepsol and sprayed in the same hammer finish paint as the legs. Upon checking the colour, I realized after looking at a few pics of other Stern games that the hammer finish paint colour id used was too dark So I then decided to go for the same White Knight brand hammer finish paint Nino used on his Stern Meteor coin door.

So I searched all the shops local to me (the nearest Bunnings to me is an hours drive away), I ended up at my mate Ricks place of work (who custom mixed some of my playfield paints for me), and found the right paint. So it was then a matter of stripping the coin door… again!! and respraying it in the new colour. Id also sprayed most of the parts inside in the darker colour, so rather than strip these I left them as they were. After the paint had dried I reassembled everything and fitted the door back into the cabinet. The coin chutes I polished with Autosol polish before refitting to the door. Initially id painted the door bolt heads but decided to buff them to a nice shine instead. To do this I put each bolt into my electric drill and spun them, while first holding a piece of 400 grit sandpaper against them to clean them, then a piece of rag with Re-po paint doctor polish to buff them to a shine, this stuff works a treat for this!! Plus it’s a wax based polish so it should help prevent corrosion.

In these pics the legs still have the darker colour paint on them but they will probably be removed and resprayed in the lighter colour.