Author Topic: Stern Dracula restore; PART 2  (Read 6609 times)

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Re: Stern Dracula restore; PART 2
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2009, 02:25:34 AM »
Power Supply and Transformer:

First thing I did here was to remove the transformer from its metal housing and remove the circuit board from its metal backing plate, and gave these metal parts a thorough clean and to remove some surface rust that was present with the clean n strip disc. Then I gave them both a coat of hammer finish paint and sat them aside to dry.

Notice in the 1st pic the threaded insulated spacers I fitted in place of two of the nylon mounting standoffs. This is something I did on my Lectronamo power supply to give the board a more solid mounting, since the boards normally rely on the original rectifier bolts for this. Otherwise the board can fall off from the mounts. I bought these from DSE.

Next I rebuilt the power supply board with new 35 amp bridge rectifiers, new header pins and performed all of the upgrades as per the Marvin website. I usually use the spade terminal type bridges and solder paper clip wire to the terminals so they can be fitted into the board.. a bit of extra work I know but these bridge rectifiers are pretty cheap and quick and easy to obtain from DSE so that’s why I use them.

Also before fitting them to the board I fitted some heatsinks to each bridge. These cost me nothing as I raided them from a dead TV switchmode power supply board from work!! I trimmed them down a bit so they’d fit neatly and bolted them on with some heatsink compound smeared on for good measure. Last pic shows the power supply fitted back into the backbox. I tested all the voltages coming out of the supply.. the solenoid 43 volt was missing but I quickly traced that to a solder joint on the AC side of the bridge that hadn’t tinned with solder properly.

Next on the to do list… ground mods etc for the solenoid driver and check voltages before connecting any other boards up, a few connector pins to be redone, fit a remote memory battery lead to the MPU board. Also have to fit a new power switch that was missing (the wires had been joined and taped before I bought the game)!

No long to go now!!  #*#
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 02:32:39 AM by Mr Pinbologist »