Author Topic: Breaking Pinball News! (warning - long post)  (Read 23086 times)

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Breaking Pinball News! (warning - long post)
« on: May 31, 2013, 11:42:42 AM »
The idea for Homepin came from an initial thought to build a custom, one-off pinball machine as a bonding exercise between my son and I about eight years ago. The concept was thrown around between us but nothing really eventuated – not as a pinball machine anyway.

As I investigated further I saw a need for certain replacement boards and so started making these. I now have a wide range of pinball replacement boards that is expanding all the time.

My importing business in China was also expanding and my son decided to move to China to help but he eventually started his own graphic design business in Guangzhou. His business now has a staff of over 30 and he has some very large contracts with European companies designing their packaging and manuals. He also writes, illustrates and prints text books for Chinese kindergartens. Grant is a very accomplished freehand artist. I will post some of his artwork done over previous years in this post (the reasons for posting his drawings will become obvious later in this story).

Over this past year I have seen probably the most activity in pinball since I was first involved in the industry back in 1979. The resurgence of interest has been spurred on by better titles and other players such as JJP entering the market. I have also seen first hand at places like Pinfest just how much general interest pinball is again generating and this encourages me.

I felt that I had more to offer and looked at my credentials. I am a trade qualified electronics engineer of over 30 years. I am by nature, an inventor, winning the Peoples Choice award on ABCs The New Inventors (in fact I put my occupation as "Inventor" on the immigration departure form when I leave the country). I have extensive “hands on” experience in the amusement industry. I have eight years experience in China having my own office and staff and several different small facilities over the years. This is a HUGE learning curve all on its own as anyone who has had anything to do with China would agree I'm sure.

I started thinking about the manufacture of a machine and what it would take to achieve. I have the knowledge & skills and also the contacts and connections needed to establish a full production line in China. I believe (right or wrongly I guess) that I can do things better than “the others” - there are certain things I believe do NOT belong in a pinball machine and other things that are so poorly made I just shake my head when I see them, both mechanically and electronically. Those who have seen and used my Homepin products will already know that I only accept the best.

The only missing piece was a suitable theme.............I studied many forums, taking on board the comments made by people and also had a few brainstorming sessions with some close friends both in the pinball community and from outside it. I decided on a theme I consider will appeal to a very large range of people from all age groups and I set about finding out how to acquire the licence. This is no mean feat I can assure you but it seems after six months of negotiations I am almost ready to part with a very large chunk of cash and sign on the dotted line.

Just this week all of the separate pieces of this very complex puzzle have fallen into place.

I won't reveal exactly what that theme is until I have the signed agreement in my hands but I have to say I'm pretty excited. Now to set up a factory – this will cost plenty. I have tipped in quite a substantial amount to get the ball rolling (pun intended). Where the balance will come from, we will have to see? I have no idea at this stage but I'm sure it will happen.

One point I must clarify here is that I would like nothing more than to set up a manufacturing facility and make the machines in Australia. When I crunched the numbers with rent, labour and the “over the top” expense of doing business in Australia I calculated that a machine would have to sell for around $12K and that killed off that idea. Manufacturing in Australia is DEAD – full stop!

The very first thing that I will offer is going to be the worlds first, full size, commercial pinball machine KIT because I really believe in this project as a perfect Father/Son bonding exercise and I hope it will be supported by the pinball community.

All of this will mean I probably won't have the time to annoy so many of you in the near future on the forums (thank God I hear some sighing) and I invite members to visit my Shenzhen factory when I have it up and running (by arrangement naturally).

Watch this space for an announcement on the theme VERY soon..................

« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 09:31:13 AM by pinnies4me »
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: Breaking Pinball News! (warning - long post)
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 11:49:30 AM »

WOW!! That really is exciting news! Can't wait to hear some more in time, well done Mike!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 12:35:21 PM »
That is fantastic news,mike.I am sure the aussie pinball comunity will suport this venture. #*#
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 02:21:42 PM »
Well done again Mike  ^^^ Very exciting for you I am sure . You definitely have a 'can do' attitude thats for sure . Good on you .
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 02:25:04 PM »
Sight unseen, theme unkown

And I would still trust you to deliver the goods Mike

Where do we sign up?
:)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 02:35:55 PM »
If the theme is good and your sample machine plays well and has a good set of rules I will be in for a father & son/daughter build experience

good on you,

I have a few theme ideas as well
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 02:43:47 PM »
Awesome news mate, all the best for your new venture  *%*

Offline Blktgr74

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 04:11:53 PM »
Awesome here comes my first bnib pinball machine well done homepin

Offline delarge

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 04:56:34 PM »
Awesome news and excited for the unveiling of this new machine. Also interested in seeing the cost of a pinball machine coming out of China.

Cheers!
Adam.

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 08:12:00 PM »
Wow, very cool. I look forward to seeing what the theme is.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline riverinapinball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 08:37:57 PM »
Exciting times ahead, looking forward to the title release. Go Mike.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 08:47:23 PM »
Sounds exciting and no doubt will be successful. I like the concept of a kit as I think it would be a real blast to actually assemble the game (and those fussy guys can really finesse in the finer details) and tweak it to perfection and then play it. Man how cool to be able to say I built this myself.....well kind of.

I'm guessing the electronics will be assembled in the kit. If not I think this would be too daunting to most of us and probably give your support crew too many head aches.

Good luck with the project mate

And can't what for the title.......wow Metallica II or avengers II...... just messing with ya, I'm sure it will be something awesome and original
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 08:49:08 PM by pinball god »
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 08:49:17 PM »
I understand this must be a massive, daunting task of developing, testing and promoting the final product but have to ask

curious about you goal year for release 2014, 2015 ??? - enjoy the ride
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 09:10:58 PM »
I understand this must be a massive, daunting task of developing, testing and promoting the final product but have to ask

curious about you goal year for release 2014, 2015 ??? - enjoy the ride

Mid to late 2015 to coincide with an aniversary (can't say more than that just yet)
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 09:20:41 PM »
 That sounds very exciting, good luck with the venture I hope you pull it off.