Author Topic: WhiteWater Topper Driver board project  (Read 4891 times)

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
WhiteWater Topper Driver board project
« on: September 07, 2013, 12:06:08 PM »
This one has been in the works for a while now. Thanks to robm for sending/loaning his driver & lamp boards (please don't look any further in this thread Rob :lol).

I have re-commenced the project at the request of a collector in the UK who is keen for a board. Also there is a company in the USA that is re-making the foil printed topper card so I suspect there will be a spike in interest for these boards. We intend to do the lamp board as well because LEDs just don't cut it in this application. Many changes will be made to the lamp board however.

The first thing to do is research common problem and faults and the main one with these boards is the 2 x bridge rectifiers. The originals are rated at 2 amps and often go open circuit. last China trip I obtained a box of 4 amp inline bridges with this project in mind. I also grabbed some TO-92 case, 1A darlington transistors as these are very expensive and difficult to find in Australia.

Here is the board sent by Rob:

Time to measure up the overall size - mounting hole locations and sizes. This is one area that causes the most problems when re-creating boards - these dimensions must be spot on or the entire batch of boards is wasted.

Then whack the parts in the correct places on the layout making room for any changes - in this case the slightly larger bridges and the more robust, board mounted heatsink for the 7805 regulator. The connectors all have to be the correct type and in the same place as the original board so that the replacement is a direct drop in part.

Here the board has been laid out with mounting holes and parts and the main power tracks have been put down:

Time to start with the smaller signal tracks. A lot of these are run under the ICs and between IC legs and can be difficult to follow. You can't always take the circuit diagram as being correct, the number of times I have found mistakes in schematics when laying out boards is amazing. To this end (where possible) it is easier and faster to cut the ICs off the sample board (sorry Rob, stop looking :lol). They can always be replaced later although it's often better to use the parts to simply make up a new board as there will be many improvements.

That's about where we are at but I do want to have this artwork finished in time to include with my next board order in a couple of weeks so we will continue on with it. More as we progress.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline elkor-alish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth
Re: WhiteWater Topper Driver board project
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 01:38:46 PM »
Cool Mike, I love your redesign threads.
I don't understand a lot of the technical stuff but I love that these replacements are being made.

I'll be grabbing one once you're done to upgrade my machine. ^^^
Pins: The Getaway, TotAN, WH2O, Pinball Magic, Banzai Run, Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings LE, Metallica LE, Iron Man VE, The Walking Dead LE, Star Trek The Next Generation.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 05:33:52 PM »
Love your work Mike don't know how you find the time....  And your comments on schematics being wrong is so spot on the amount of wrong schematics is amazing

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 08:57:45 PM »
We got this layout finished today as I have several boards to send to the board house later this week and I can send this one along with them.

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 11:11:32 PM »
I like to make sure I have all parts in stock BEFORE I make a run of boards as things tend to become difficult to get right when you need them. To this end I also make up a 'kit' of bits ready to assemble the first test batch when the boards arrive - it also helps to double check that all parts are available and gives time to get anything that might be missing.

My first test run of these will be just six boards so I gathered up enough bits ready to go when the blank PCBs arrive in a couple of weeks.

I am also working on the lamp boards and connecting cables themselves as many machines are missing all of these parts.

Now that all the parts are waiting I can put some 'subconcious' brainwork into developing a test rig so I am able to test the finished boards.....

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 11:02:07 AM »
Well there was a holdup finishing the layout for the lamp boards as the PCB mounting lamp holders are not available (anywhere I could find) in Australia in the quantities I need even for a small production run of these boards.

This is the original type:

After a few enquiries a very helpful Pinball Spare Parts supplier in Australia offered to obtain the initial quantity needed for me so I was able to finish the board layout. I will get this off to the fabrication house with the next batch of blank boards we have done.

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 10:39:50 PM »
The blank PCBs arrived today so I will get a small run assembled tommorow and try and make up the test jig and write some software to run it - there goes my tommorow.......

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 05:54:52 PM »
We have made up the first board and a jig for testing them. The actual lamp switching effect isn't identical to how the machine software will drive the board but it is perfectly OK for confirming the board is functioning correctly. Shown here switching only one bank of lamps. We should have finished boards in about a week and the actual lamp boards in another two weeks.

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 09:54:05 AM »
.......and finally, added to the website - lamp boards and cables to follow soon. I will offer a package deal for all parts and will probably be an agent for Twisted Pins replacement topper with plastic support and including clear plastic tub (when they perfect it) so I should be able to offer the complete topper package for those who are missing all the parts.

http://www.homepin.com/wwtopper.html

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 12:03:13 PM »
Great work again mate  ^^^

Offline andtan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Canberra, ACT
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 05:27:55 PM »
.......and finally, added to the website - lamp boards and cables to follow soon. I will offer a package deal for all parts and will probably be an agent for Twisted Pins replacement topper with plastic support and including clear plastic tub (when they perfect it) so I should be able to offer the complete topper package for those who are missing all the parts.

http://www.homepin.com/wwtopper.html

Hey Mike, any idea when Twisted Pins will have the foil waterfall die finished? The website hasn't been updated for a while now.

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 06:32:18 PM »

Hey Mike, any idea when Twisted Pins will have the foil waterfall die finished? The website hasn't been updated for a while now.

They are re-making the stamping die again - I would have had it made in China for $1000 but they are persisting with "made in yankee doodle land" and have spent over $10K so far and it's still not right..........at this stage nobody knows.

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 10:34:22 PM »
The topper lamp boards arrived today - now we are all waiting on Twisted Pins - I knew they should have had the foils printed in China.... :D