Author Topic: Williams drop target "Horseshoe" wiper contacts - a step closer!  (Read 12337 times)

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
I am looking forward to receiving the test samples next week.To report on. $#$ ^^^ @@*
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
I am looking forward to receiving the test samples next week.To report on. $#$ ^^^ @@*

I'm looking forward to getting them to you......... ^^^

The rivet stamping tooling fits the machine now after a few small modifications from my first design (it's a learning curve...) - after riveting the contacts then it's another small machine to bend the contacts to the correct shape........getting there......
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
I am glad you have taken this on and not me.There is a lot more to it than a piece or bent copper. !@)
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
OK, I caved and changed the label on the boxes - well, the staff did....:D
Thanks to Fire_Power (AA) for pointing out one error in qty I had made even after extensive research....

This is the press we will use for riveting the contacts - looks a bit crappy but after we replaced the bearings in the motor and I built a new PCB and fitted double "activate" switches for safety it works a treat - a few adjustments to the slides and it is super accurate. We are building a stand for it today. (Yes, there IS a guard on the flywheel - it is in the swung open position to enable accurate setting up of the die).

This is the business end of the press showing the new die for riveting the contacts:

After the contacts are riveted on the part will be pressed in this small press to give the arms their shape - I am still waiting for the CNC guy to finish the small die we will use for this final part of the job.

It's probably becoming pretty obvious by now why nobody else has made these parts.......no one else is STUPID enough....:lol
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 02:25:19 PM by Homepin »

Offline TUF-427

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane Queensland Australia
Where do I buy em mike? Firepower drop target retrofit on the cards
Firepower, F14 Tomcat, Terminator2, Twilight Zone, No Fear, TAF, Hyperball, Sttng....

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
Where do I buy em mike? Firepower drop target retrofit on the cards

They will be on the Homepin website for sale in about two weeks if all goes to plan.

Studley67 will confirm they fit and work correctly before I sell any to the unsuspecting public... %.%

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
I am always amazed at the challenges you take on and solve Mike . Awesome work on this one  ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Amazing amount of work involved for such a small simple looking part.  Well done mike

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
Inching ever closer to a finished product all the time. the riveting press & die is almost right - it just needs a little bit more tweaking then the contacts can be riveted to the metal horseshoe - after that we can finish the bending die (still not quite right).

Here is the first test one we did:

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:

Well we are very VERY close to having finished contacts now. Still waiting for the die to be finished that will put the crease in the metal but it will take several days to complete this step. I hope by posting every step of the process in this pretty simple part readers can see just how much is involved in something like making a complete pinball machine.......

A few pieces were chosen at random for a resistance check and also a 'destruct' test to make sure the riveting was solid - no problems at all so far in the process.

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:

&feature=youtu.be

says "invalid link" for me but maybe it will work??

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:

&feature=youtu.be

Theres a thread on Pinside regarding having these made using micro switches.. seems the guy is experiencing a few difficulties getting the product reliable... might be a good opportunity to introduce these Mike? Demand worldwide would be pretty huge id say..

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacement-for-those-sliding-horseshoe-contacts-in-williams-drop-targets

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
Yes I have seen that thread previously. I went ahead with these because there are many people who would NEVER modify their machine even if he made a professional kit that replaced the wipers and it proved reliable.

Most people just want replacement "bolt in" parts to fix their machine with the minimum of fuss from what I have seen???

&feature=youtu.be

Theres a thread on Pinside regarding having these made using micro switches.. seems the guy is experiencing a few difficulties getting the product reliable... might be a good opportunity to introduce these Mike? Demand worldwide would be pretty huge id say..

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacement-for-those-sliding-horseshoe-contacts-in-williams-drop-targets

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Yes I have seen that thread previously. I went ahead with these because there are many people who would NEVER modify their machine even if he made a professional kit that replaced the wipers and it proved reliable.

Most people just want replacement "bolt in" parts to fix their machine with the minimum of fuss from what I have seen???

&feature=youtu.be

Totally agree .. my thoughts were that no doubt the guy would stop trying if he knew that these were to become available.. would certainly save him a lot of frustration

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
I'll let you tell him - I don't go to Pinside.

&feature=youtu.be

Totally agree .. my thoughts were that no doubt the guy would stop trying if he knew that these were to become available.. would certainly save him a lot of frustration