Author Topic: Career change – want to become a photographer and make a living by it.  (Read 690 times)

Offline Prince

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Hi guys.

This is a call out for me to get some feedback and guidance into making a career change into Photography. I’ve been a hobbyist for the past year, by taking picks of my kids, places of interest and the odd birthday occasion, where feedback from others have been overwhelmingly positive.

My career up to this point has been working in the consumer electronics business, as an Internal Sales Manager for a local wholesaler, selling fridges, washing machines etc. Recently, I’ve encountered what you might say as a “wake up call” and mentally, I’m burnt out in my role and have decided to call it a day.

I have a passion for photos and its artwork and wanting to embark on something new and completely different in my life. How does one get started in this industry? I’ve looked into the short courses side of things, but I feel that I’m more inclined to learn hands on with someone, rather than be confined in a classroom environment. I need to learn all aspects of photography and would like to use this skill to provide me a reasonable income. I have no knowledge of running my own business, nor how to make a webpage and blogs. I’m new to post processing (Lightroom) though, I do need some training.

Anyone think I’m crazy?

Stephen.
SC.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
There are courses at TAFE n places like that depending on your state and location. In fact, Centrelink (social security) can pay you to do a course, and sometimes even up to 3 years if the professional course goes that long.

I do know someone who did a year ago take on the exact thing u are talking about. The problem the person encounted, is that todays cameras are soo good, n cheap, that almost anybody can get absolute top photos out of very inexpensive cameras n print at many places like K Mart n Big W at their photo kiosk sitdown machines. Very inexpensive to print there or even at home with todays home printers.

What the person decided to do was a journalism professional course, where they can use the camera n do journo coverage. It pays more, n u get to be out n about n are not stuck inside all day. Search TAFE n Universities for Journo or photography careers. Goodluck with it.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
I want to be a pole dancer and have people stick money in my undies - just joking, good luck with it.

If you have enough passion you can do ANYTHING........
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Greg

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
I want to be a pole dancer and have people stick money in my undies - just joking, good luck with it.

If you have enough passion you can do ANYTHING........

could be dangerous Mike
with all that loose change  you could hurt yourself :2cents:
http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/
We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
I am going through something similar and it is a really tough decision to make.  If you are financially secure then go for it and try to live your dream.  My in-laws are the classics for saying we should have done this or that which has only made me more determined to not die wondering.

Do as much research as possible and don't make any overnight rash decisions.  There is a huge difference between living and just existing  treading water. 
Addicted to pins.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
have a look in your local area as many areas will have a photography club and they will meet on weekends etc. They tend to pic a different location each outing (normally weekly) and often they help each with settings and how to take a better photo and frame it better etc.

I think learning this way is much better and more practical than a tafe course (did that years ago)

not sure where you live and what style you want to do, though I will recommend building your skills before offering weddings, and with weddings a great idea to team up with someone to cover different angles and just in case you miss that critical shot otherwise the married couple could be really pissed if you don't deliver. As for portraits etc photographers charge a ridiculous amount for packages, undercut them by 25% and still make a nice living.

good luck with it.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Marty Machine

Ok, i must rain on the parade :-)

Photography, Fashion & Music are the 3 most impossible areas to "break into", especially with bugger all experience behind you.

You need many years of experience, you need a portfolio of your photographic work to show clients what you're capable of.
You needs lots of spin to win over customers and you need to prove you can offer something more/better than all your opposition.

You'll need to know your camera back to front, and then the knowledge beyond the camera itself is infinite, you need to look at things differently thru photographic eyes and learn the art of composition, image editing and so forth to add punch to your photo's....You then also need to know how to get around unforseen problems during a shoot, re-adjusting youre lighting, reflectors, lens', exposure configs to get around the changes etc. (this all comes with experience).
Most places won't take you on for employment with any less than 3 certificates in photography, darkroom & (digital) editing proof of work.

Firstly, go pick out your best shots and put them in a folder, then visit a few photographic places to get their judgement, if not for work, simply for some realistic feedback of your talent (or lack of), then you'll know where you stand.

I've been a hobbyist then semi-pro/freelance photographer for 25+ years and i wouldn't even try to compete with todays market, although i have some different services to offer that extend ontop of my photo-skills, so i get by when i need to, but i have fulltime work in another trade which is my main security....

my 20c, but worth a lot more :-)
MM

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW

Photography, Fashion & Music are the 3 most impossible areas to "break into", especially with bugger all experience behind you.

You need many years of experience, you need a portfolio of your photographic work to show clients what you're capable of.
You needs lots of spin to win over customers and you need to prove you can offer something more/better than all your opposition.

You'll need to know your camera back to front, and then the knowledge beyond the camera itself is infinite, you need to look at things differently thru photographic eyes and learn the art of composition, image editing and so forth to add punch to your photo's....You then also need to know how to get around unforseen problems during a shoot, re-adjusting youre lighting, reflectors, lens', exposure configs to get around the changes etc. (this all comes with experience).
Most places won't take you on for employment with any less than 3 certificates in photography, darkroom & (digital) editing proof of work.

Firstly, go pick out your best shots and put them in a folder, then visit a few photographic places to get their judgement, if not for work, simply for some realistic feedback of your talent (or lack of), then you'll know where you stand.

I've been a hobbyist then semi-pro/freelance photographer for 25+ years and i wouldn't even try to compete with todays market, although i have some different services to offer that extend ontop of my photo-skills, so i get by when i need to, but i have fulltime work in another trade which is my main security....

MM

well said and I agree, I have only ever been a hobbyist and it is a challenge and worked at labs when in my late teens.

not to detract from your original goal but maybe a fresh new venture that can be exciting is video shoots with still grabs from a quad copter. A relative is just getting it to it and it is amazing and taking off in the US but very new here in Aus. It is not easy but you could invest in a quad copter and a top line go pro learn the skills of flying, get a gimbal and then search out jobs in videoing property for real estates, golf courses full 18 hole over view runs etc.

When I get work and can afford it I will get all the parts to build my own with a GPS unit so it flies back to take off point when battery gets to a low level, you can set a certain flight height etc.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay

MM

well said and I agree, I have only ever been a hobbyist and it is a challenge and worked at labs when in my late teens.

not to detract from your original goal but maybe a fresh new venture that can be exciting is video shoots with still grabs from a quad copter. A relative is just getting it to it and it is amazing and taking off in the US but very new here in Aus. It is not easy but you could invest in a quad copter and a top line go pro learn the skills of flying, get a gimbal and then search out jobs in videoing property for real estates, golf courses full 18 hole over view runs etc.

When I get work and can afford it I will get all the parts to build my own with a GPS unit so it flies back to take off point when battery gets to a low level, you can set a certain flight height etc.
you're keen jady, if you put my gps on the copter you'll probably find it go via the Simpson desert to get to you.  %.% I have some weird instructions in my time, once it had me going in circles and another time it wanted me to do a left in our domain tunnel.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Soon as you mention the word "passion", then you have the incentive and drive to make it work. That's the hardest step.

Also the words "burnt out" ring bells with me - as that's exactly what happened to me and I lost the desire to work 9-5 in IT, and my last two years was spend "wondering" what to do next. Not healthy - and I "lost" those years.

Finances are really important. If you are in a financial position to make the change, sacrifice a well paid and guaranteed salary - then it is an easier transition and it is not hard on the family.

I don't know anything about photography, but I know a couple of friends that spent years working for company that sent out photographers to function centers. The work was part time (and at night), but eventually one went pro after starting to do weddings. This is a guy that carried a camera EVERYWHERE with him. Again - goes back to the word "passion" !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline vinito

• Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
I've had close associations with a few working artists over the years. Yes photography is an art, not a typical trade.
Only three of these were successful artists. From what I've seen there are a couple of ways of making a living at it, and although having the talent is a prerequisite, the talent only makes it possible to then use it to make the living. Making a living from it is NOT a given no matter how talented you are.
One way I watched is to be a successful and skillful salesman of your own product. This requires a ton of work, networking, hobnobbing and all that stuff you can lump in with this facet of the game. It can be fun if you like that sort of thing. Lots of interesting people out there to know. It can also burn you out depending on how things go. The one example I have for this way kind of ended that way, but the guy appeared to enjoy it actually. He was obviously tired of it after a while and something else came up which wasn't art at all, but he shifted lanes and went into that new field and is very successful now. That hobnobbing practice became useful in the new endeavor to be sure.
The other way is to incorporate the art into another venture and have a really cool business when you add the two together. one guy I know now owns a city block with one successful, artistic club, a successful artistic deli, a pretty active art studio where he and a crew build architectural installations and play with their own individual works too, and an amphitheater which local concerts and such going on. He works a lot but seems to love it. The second guy is an artist in a very niche market with very wealthy patrons and actually works on his art about the rest of us's equivalent of 2 months per year. He has a lot of time off and travels a lot, but they are working vacations since his "other job" is designing and managing installations and general contractor of expensive museum additions and that kind of thing. He started his craft when he was young and just ended up very lucky, as well as talented and skilled.

So if you want to do something like this, try to think bigger and imagine something more than but inclusive of photography. Don't expect interesting composition and good timing with pictures to be enough to make a living. That will take you to the homeless shelter faster than you would ever expect. You'll want to think outside the box. Think of other things you enjoy and try to smash them together for ideas. It's not unusual for people to do one thing for years then switch to something better later then another and maybe even another. Personally, I started out as a musician and teacher. That was a lot of work and spiritually fulfilling but I was always broke and on the hustle. Currently I am a machinist and I enjoy it more than anything else I've ever done. It's making parts for machines, but the process is extremely creative and fulfilling, and more importantly, it pays much better. My path to machinist came from starting as a musician and I won't describe it here, but it's very interesting how passing events lead to unexpected destinations.

Later in life it's tempting to have regrets. If I had started down the machinist/engineer path out of high school I would have been much more successful by now. But I would probably be more bitter and likely burned out by now too. My path was my path and that's how it goes. There were some dark, rocky roads along the way, but I can say it didn't turn out too bad thus far.

So earlier did I say go big or go homeless? Yes I guess I did.
Good luck.
I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.

Offline piesrule

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Yes your crazy, as much as I hate to say it as a career you must stick to what you know best!

Offline Prince

• Forum Posts:
Appreciate the feedback and advise guys.

Caught up with my wedding photographer today and had a good chat about the industry. First sacarstic comment from him was - "Are you ready to get a divorce!" lol.

Finances aside, my wife and i are in a good position - no mortgage, just the every day bills and expenses.
I've yet to resign my day job, though i'm going to take a lesser role for the interim - think Chris Tarrant (Full Forward => Half Back Flank). Also that Essendon footballer who did the same thing last season.

The kind of photography work i’m looking and getting myself into is kids portraits - one to shoot candid shots at a birthday party or event.
My other interest i’m eyeing on is real estate photography.

Let you know my business name once i get it registered.

Stephen.
SC.