Author Topic: F14 Tomcat resto  (Read 4841 times)

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Re: F14 Tomcat resto
« on: July 26, 2016, 08:45:06 PM »
I started with the cabinet, regluing delaminated ply and loose corners etc

I'd already decided i was going to use decals to re-do the cab art, i had them made by a local sign printer company
Here are the two cab sides;

Bottom panel was replaced, it was originally chipboard and was in a pretty sorry state.

Cab corners where the legs bolt on were cactus so i routed out the rotted sections and inlaid new ply.

Primer coats done, this step had to be repeated several times due to the condition of the cab rhs (primer/spot putty/more primer etc)

Since i used MDF to replace the bottom, and that i would be applying the decals using the soapy water method, i sealed the bottom with Cabots polyeurthane clear.

I'd already primed the backbox then found MORE delaminating ply that i had to reglue ^&^

Back Panel and cab edges sprayed with matt black acrylic to match the decal finish.

Backbox warning test was preserved rather than replaced with a decal, i masked off the text with frisket and sprayed the back in matt black.

I sprayed a matt clear over the back of the backbox to seal in the text and touchups i had to do on the text.

End results of the decals after application.

This was my first attempt at doing cab decals, and i was shitting broken glass at the thought of things going wrong, but with some help from my brother it all went pretty well!

« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 08:48:50 PM by Mr Pinbologist »