Aussie Pinball Forums > Restorations

Bally Bow And Arrow Restoration

<< < (2/7) > >>

Strangeways:
The plunger assembly is bent, rusted and seized with lubricants. This will be fun !

Disassembled, these have a coil sleeve with is no longer available. There are two metal washers that are in the same boat. I upgrade the washers with the standard washers, and I use a conventional Williams plunger sleeve, trimmed to size ;

The knob is well and truly polished on the buffing wheel  :D

.. and it looks like this when reassembled ;

Strangeways:
I plan on whiting a "tech tip" thread of it's own on aspects of replacing a playfield, similar to below. The rollovers are always a problem on a cleared playfield. Through trial an error, I've used a system which is efficient and also reduces the risk of lifting the clear from the edge. A common method is a fine pick and a thin file.

Below is a picture of the cleared playfield before the residue removal from the rollovers ;

The tools ;

A scalpel - A simple but sharp tool
A round file - tapered round needle file
A straight pick

Start off with the scalpel, cut all the straight lines - effectively "carving" the clear from the side walls. Cut DOWNWARDS - never upwards.
Then use the pick to remove sections from the centre.
Then use the needle file, and file in a DOWNWARDS motion.

Rinse and repeat if needed. Then use a test button, upside down, and check you have trimmed enough.

At the end of the process, it should look like this ;

I do this with the playfield installed in the cabinet, but before any other work commences.

<.>

Strangeways:
Re assembly of the underside of the playfield is a time consuming but necessary step due to the fact the machine had not been maintained for a long period of time. Rust had set into the globe holders, so they were all replaced. New braid throughout the playfield. All mechanism rebuilt. This is where a lot of time is spent on a restoration, if done properly.

I use new screws as the originals are rusted or just too dirty to clean. This is where time can be used on other aspects rather than cleaning screws.

Moving to the baseboard - This needs a good clean. The fuse sockets will be replaced, the mechs rebuilt, score motor assembly cleaned and adjusted as well as ensuring the relays and all the switches are gapped correctly. The EMI filter will be replaced and a new power cord installed.

Before pictures ;

The stepper is rebuilt and works perfectly.

Seized and full of perished lubricants !

Completed baseboard prior to adjusting relay bank ;

Still a fair bit of work to do, but this section took almost a day to complete. Now on to the headbox !

Top Card:
Hi Nino,
On the baseboard, those stacks of contacts actuated by the cam wheels, do you clean all of them and if so do you de-solder and disassemble them or use some other process.

Strangeways:

--- Quote from: Top Card on July 31, 2018, 07:08:31 PM ---Hi Nino,
On the baseboard, those stacks of contacts actuated by the cam wheels, do you clean all of them and if so do you de-solder and disassemble them or use some other process.

--- End quote ---

On EM switch stacks - It depends on the condition. I disassemble each stack and then clean with alcohol or degreaser. I don't unsolder the individual wires as these machines have excellent wires and solder jobs from factory. I then reassemble and tighten the stack. Then adjust and gap each set of contacts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version