Author Topic: Bally World Cup Soccer (94) decals wtd  (Read 396 times)

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
Bally World Cup Soccer (94) decals wtd
« on: October 03, 2011, 08:19:21 PM »
Is is possible to buy cab decals for Bally World Cup Soccer (94)?
i have bought this pinball today, and are considering recovering it if i can get hold of a decal kit.
otherwise well i can handel it the way it is.
virtually this machine is a cleanup job, everything playfield wise is good just needs a huge clean. but my headbox is crap, so i got another headbox included from another title to replace the badly chipped WCS one, so id also be interested in decals for headbox also.
so if possible id like to make the cab and headbox look like new

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Bally World Cup Soccer (94) decals wtd
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 08:22:22 PM »
I have never seen cab decals for these available

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 08:26:36 PM »
I have never seen cab decals for these available

no worries, mine should be good enough as is, might look around for a good headbox then cheers

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 08:35:03 PM »
I have never seen them either, there are a lot of licencing issues with WCS94 and when I needed some plastics for mine I sent an email to Kevin Wayte from Classic Playfield Reproductions to see if they had any of the reproduction sets the made a few years back his reply was:

"We were limited by FIFA in Switzerland to 100 sets, which we made back in 2007 and were sold out by 2008.  If we make any more, we must go through formal legal/lawyer licensing proceedings at a cost in the high 4-figures.  It's just too murky and I don't have the time to screw with it, not when I have a backlog of 15+ plastics art packages piled up here that haven't been run even a first time yet.  Plus more on the way from our very busy Art Team.  Re-runs are just a rarity we stick in for kicks a couple times a year if the plastics are extremely in demand and there is no third party license limitation. "

I'd be tipping to reproduce the cabinet artwork onto a decal would be a similar issue, too expensive to make for the actual demand for them, add to that the ridiculous amount they would have to sell them for to get their money back and I doubt they ever will.

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 08:44:37 PM »
I have never seen them either, there are a lot of licencing issues with WCS94 and when I needed some plastics for mine I sent an email to Kevin Wayte from Classic Playfield Reproductions to see if they had any of the reproduction sets the made a few years back his reply was:

"We were limited by FIFA in Switzerland to 100 sets, which we made back in 2007 and were sold out by 2008.  If we make any more, we must go through formal legal/lawyer licensing proceedings at a cost in the high 4-figures.  It's just too murky and I don't have the time to screw with it, not when I have a backlog of 15+ plastics art packages piled up here that haven't been run even a first time yet.  Plus more on the way from our very busy Art Team.  Re-runs are just a rarity we stick in for kicks a couple times a year if the plastics are extremely in demand and there is no third party license limitation. "

I'd be tipping to reproduce the cabinet artwork onto a decal would be a similar issue, too expensive to make for the actual demand for them, add to that the ridiculous amount they would have to sell them for to get their money back and I doubt they ever will.

this is rediculas, would be reasonable if they still produced the parts them selves, and they dont. and its a bit rich these pinball companies make knockoffs them selves in knock off themes and then chuck a tanty when some one knocks them off, lol.
any ways can you still buy the big spinning balls for these machines? i might buy a few parts that i dont need but whilst they are around i might buy as spares.

bugger them Ill find a sticker man to reproduce one, i bought some decals for my shop from a bloke in china, might get him to do it lol.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 08:56:13 PM by Olivia_jason »

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 09:02:48 PM »
It is only the licencing side of things that there are any issues with, obviously when williams or stern etc want to licence a pin they have to pay a royality for the privilage as williams are going to make money from the licence, it does suck that people cannot make reproduction parts for broken originals as they are only going to repair the parts that were already there, but such is life and everyone wants to make a buck.

It is not just the movie, sports, vehicle licences that the issues come from, as you are new to pinball you probabaly are not aware of the previous William/Bally rights owner who liked to throw his weight around, understandable sometime when people were making money from his property but a little excessive all the same for the average person who just wanted to restore their personal machines

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 09:17:52 PM »
It is only the licencing side of things that there are any issues with, obviously when williams or stern etc want to licence a pin they have to pay a royality for the privilage as williams are going to make money from the licence, it does suck that people cannot make reproduction parts for broken originals as they are only going to repair the parts that were already there, but such is life and everyone wants to make a buck.

It is not just the movie, sports, vehicle licences that the issues come from, as you are new to pinball you probabaly are not aware of the previous William/Bally rights owner who liked to throw his weight around, understandable sometime when people were making money from his property but a little excessive all the same for the average person who just wanted to restore their personal machines

if they are supplying the part then that is great wouldnt bother arguing the point as that is fair to have the rights on that part, but if not supplying the part or have no intention of supplying the part it should be fair game.
shit if we used that mantality with our cars, i would have ford knocking on my door for reproducing parts my self that i cant buy anymore that are on my car.
in this case makign it to hard to get parts only forces people to go and do it unlicensed as i will do. and I understand they cant make parts for every single pin but at the same time if that is the case then those parts they dont bother making should be able to be reproduced at least on a small scale or for friends and personal use. ive seen around the web some one cant share stencils he made that are no longer available. this is when its ajoke.
as i said i will get a bloke in china to make me a set of decals,

anyways guys thank you for the info, and its a shame i cant buy these decals, i see they do stil lsell many other bits and peices, ill go shopping for a some of those parts if i see anything that looks slightly worn i buy replacement parts seeing it seems there is a limited amount of parts that are available for these machines.
cheers
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 09:39:36 PM by Olivia_jason »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 09:37:34 PM »
My understanding is that you can make anything u want for your own machine as a replacement part, as long as u dont onsell other copies etc.

What most people do, is make an extra dozen sets to sell which covers their original outlay of doing the first set, having to pay for artwork/someone's computer time plus the materials for the first set and set up time etc. But they may not be legal etc obviously.

If its only one machine u want to do, and if the artwork is faded only versus damaged, you could always pay someone who is very good with an airbrush etc and get them to touch up n re-do your own cabinet for you. People who are very good at airbrushing could probably knock it over in 3 or 4 hours. Even at $50 an hour, it would be money well spent. Thats what i have in mind, and that way, you dont have to worry about licences. The airbrush way is a safe way. Hope it helps.  ^^^

p.s - I have a brand new top ramp for a WCS 94 which you are welcome to for free if u need one. PM me your postal details if u need a brand new one for zilch !  ^^^
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 09:39:52 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 09:43:06 PM »
My understanding is that you can make anything u want for your own machine as a replacement part, as long as u dont onsell other copies etc.

What most people do, is make an extra dozen sets to sell which covers their original outlay of doing the first set, having to pay for artwork/someone's computer time plus the materials for the first set and set up time etc. But they may not be legal etc obviously.

If its only one machine u want to do, and if the artwork is faded only versus damaged, you could always pay someone who is very good with an airbrush etc and get them to touch up n re-do your own cabinet for you. People who are very good at airbrushing could probably knock it over in 3 or 4 hours. Even at $50 an hour, it would be money well spent. Thats what i have in mind, and that way, you dont have to worry about licences. The airbrush way is a safe way. Hope it helps.  ^^^

p.s - I have a brand new top ramp for a WCS 94 which you are welcome to for free if u need one. PM me your postal details if u need a brand new one for zilch !  ^^^

I will take it off your hands, but not for free.lol so even if its a few dollars i would feel more comfortable about,  cheers for the offer i really apreciate it. the ramp on my machine is dirty so a good clean one would save a tonne of time. your a legend mate.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 09:48:35 PM »
Mate, you may have it for $1. and if the money never turns up, i will not lose any sleep.  %.%

I actually have 2 x of them brand new, and I dont have a WCS94 and have room only for another title which is something different. I will post it when i get your postal details. You are welcome to it. Sitting in a box at my place for another 10 yrs will do me no good. If it makes your machine better, it will make me happy. Thats payment enough.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 09:55:02 PM »
Mate, you may have it for $1. and if the money never turns up, i will not lose any sleep.  %.%

I actually have 2 x of them brand new, and I dont have a WCS94 and have room only for another title which is something different. I will post it when i get your postal details. You are welcome to it. Sitting in a box at my place for another 10 yrs will do me no good. If it makes your machine better, it will make me happy. Thats payment enough.

ok but i am paying for postage, you drive a hard bargain lol

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 11:23:47 PM »

WCS 94 has many license holders. I can't see it ever having the sideart done. I'm starting a restoration, and the first thing I noticed was that it has the standard Bally/Williams decal and then a FIFA "official" logo decal placed over the top of the sideart. So FIFA would not allow their logo on any reproduction without permission. We know how "organized" FIFA are  !@#

Under the "right to restore", you are permitted to recreate ANY artwork on the game as long as it is for your game and only a single copy can be reproduced.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 11:27:24 PM »

WCS 94 has many license holders. I can't see it ever having the sideart done. I'm starting a restoration, and the first thing I noticed was that it has the standard Bally/Williams decal and then a FIFA "official" logo decal placed over the top of the sideart. So FIFA would not allow their logo on any reproduction without permission. We know how "organized" FIFA are  !@#

Under the "right to restore", you are permitted to recreate ANY artwork on the game as long as it is for your game and only a single copy can be reproduced.

so you are restoring one of these ?. are you going to re decal yours?
what is stopping some one not adding the official fifa logo? would that make it able to shared between restorers?
i understand the purests wouldnt like it.  but shit if i could get a file created ready for printing that doesnt have the fifa logo and share with some one else who wants to replace their side decals and not get into trouble then really if its not being created by a official copyright holder and costing any one lack of funds it shouldnt be a problem would it?

from memory the fifa logo is just a square patch over the soccer ball on the lower side, not a big part of the decal.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 11:33:45 PM by Olivia_jason »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 11:38:19 PM »

WCS 94 has many license holders. I can't see it ever having the sideart done. I'm starting a restoration, and the first thing I noticed was that it has the standard Bally/Williams decal and then a FIFA "official" logo decal placed over the top of the sideart. So FIFA would not allow their logo on any reproduction without permission. We know how "organized" FIFA are  !@#

what is stopping some one not adding the official fifa logo? would that make it able to shared between restorers?
i understand the purests wouldnt like it.  but shit if i could get a file created ready for printing that doesnt have the fifa logo and share with some one else who wants to replace their side decals and not get into trouble then really if its not being created by a official copyright holder and costing any one lack of funds it shouldnt be a problem would it?

Yes, I've started a restoration and I'll document it as time permits  *%*

You could reproduce the sideart without the FIFA decal. You could recreate the art, and print the decal for your own use. If you reproduce several copies and attempt to sell them, you WILL get caught and prosecuted - as will the owner of the printer.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 11:47:48 PM »

i understand the purests wouldnt like it.  but shit if i could get a file created ready for printing that doesnt have the fifa logo and share with some one else who wants to replace their side decals and not get into trouble then really if its not being created by a official copyright holder and costing any one lack of funds it shouldnt be a problem would it?

Yes, I've started a restoration and I'll document it as time permits  *%*

You could reproduce the sideart without the FIFA decal. You could recreate the art, and print the decal for your own use. If you reproduce several copies and attempt to sell them, you WILL get caught and prosecuted - as will the owner of the printer.

no i dont want to sell them, but if i was to recreate it and some one asked me for it, then i would happily hand it out willy nilly lol, and im guessing with the fifa part making it hardest to allow me to do that or anyone for that matter, leaving out the fifa part could make it technically able to be handed out if free. its not really copyright when its not the same its different, if some one decided to put that fifa part on the design after some one handed it too them then thats them doing it for their own repro.
If i was to go to the effort to get a reproduction of this it would be a shame not to be able to make it available to others when its not available to buy.
and its not loosing any body any income, also if some one has who is a licenced bally/williams for repoductions and was is worried about the fifa licence stopping them from recreatign this machines side decals why wouldnt they not include the fifa logo?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 12:15:47 AM by Olivia_jason »