Author Topic: Bally Star Trek  (Read 1172 times)

Offline Steve2010

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
Re: Bally Star Trek
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 12:00:28 AM »
Here is the final installment of this resto.  I didn’t cover every aspect with accompanying images, but here goes.

The apron was in pretty good condition, but was missing a bit of paint, and the shooter gauge was wrong for Star Trek (I believe this is a shooter gauge from Kiss.  So I decided to redo it with a Pinrescue apron decal (those guys are a great asset to the hobby!).  Here are the apron and shooter gauge in their original state.

They were sanded backed, primed, and sprayed and left to cure for a number of days.  Then the decals applied.  Very happy with the outcome – forgot to take an image of the after effect of just the apron, but the following image will suffice.

The following images cover the playfield itself.  Lots of new parts – all plastic pop bumper parts, posts, post caps, slingshot kicker heads, flippers (and complete flipper rebuilds), drop targets, standup targets, star rollovers, lane guides, flipper buttons, locks, leg bolts, etc.

I did purchase replacement playfield plastics from CPR, but in my opinion the colours of the CPR set were way off original and decided not to install these.  The original set did have some broken plastics, but I was fortunate to source a second original set to make a complete set.

The following image shows a comparison of a NOS plastic and the CPR one (this image is from a thread on Pinside - http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/announce-star-trek-backglass-now-available-at-cpr#post-745086).  The blue in the CPR plastic was just too dark compared to the blue in the NOS playfield (and the reds were too dark as well).  Whilst I didn’t have NOS plastics, the ones I did have were very nice and very much complimented the colours in the playfield.

And following are images of the completed machine.

Legs were sanded backed, primed with etch primer, and painted gun metal grey.

Siderails of cabinet were regrained using scotchbrite, with new nails installed.  I can tell you how fun it is removing the old, rusty nails from the siderails.  Sometimes you can get them all out within an hour or so.  But if they are really rusty, the heads usually just break off and make more work for you.  For me there is never a choice, the old nails have to go.  Plus once the siderails are removed, this provides a real opportunity to clean it up and regrain it.

That will do it.  A heck of a lot of work, but I am very happy with the result.  A joy to look at, but better yet, alot of fun to play.