Author Topic: I murdered my TZ  (Read 320 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
I murdered my TZ
« on: September 20, 2010, 11:27:50 PM »
Hi guys, will probably need heaps of help and patience by all while I try to sort this one out.

I got sick of resets on the TZ lately and did some checks as per Pinrepair. I decided to replace C5 and BR2. Buzzed out all the connections and tested ok (I think) I eventually found the +ve on BR2 buzzing on the J106.1 power. The other points were more obvious but if someone could tell me where I should have continuity that would be great.

Anyway re installed everything and get no BOING noise and the DMD shows a real messed up display a kin to a bad version of brickout.

Well I murdered the beast and need some help on what to do first off. The board is currently out of he machine again.

Thanks for any help. Hopefully I don't go to jial for this and can bring her back to life  !!!
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: I murdered my TZ
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 11:32:28 PM »
Did you install the jumpers on the back of the board Rob. Removing caps your pretty much certain to break the though plating so jumpers are a must

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 11:56:57 PM »
Will try that tomorrow thanks Daniel. I thought coz I checked continuity pre removal and get the same result post removal I was in the clear but maybe that's the answer. I hope so. By the way is there a minimum guage of wire to use as I've only got thin stuff I have used for gi lamps etc

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 12:00:00 AM »
What you have will be fine but slightly thicker wouldn't hurt. Another thing while the board is out I'd replacethe 5v regulator if it was resetting for the sake of another 5 mins well worth the effort

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 12:05:33 AM »
 ok I'll have get my hands on one from somewhere. If I can't get one I'll try only the jumpers and see how I go. I don't mind installing things over and over. Thanks for the quick reply. Will report back on the result

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 07:24:23 AM »
Rob,

If you get stuck my offer still stands. Bring the board over, I will sort it for you. And no I don't give quotes or charge for this type of work! Just don't destroy my high scores on your first ball like Mr Gorgar.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 08:24:28 AM »
Rob,

If you get stuck my offer still stands. Bring the board over, I will sort it for you. And no I don't give quotes or charge for this type of work! Just don't destroy my high scores on your first ball like Mr Gorgar.
You're a good man Marty. Will take you up on the offer if I can't sus it out over this next week.

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 02:01:45 PM »
Rob,

Great offer mate, hows the love around here? !#%   *%*

Offline necroscope

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Romsey Vic
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 04:16:37 PM »
Hey marty your kindness and love for the hobby is amazing  ^^^ good on ya mate.

hope you get her working again rob.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 06:36:27 PM »
Rushed home and did a quick test before doing the jumpers and found the link between BR2 & C5 -ve points was suspect. Sometimes it would make. So I did jumpers to both the +ve and -ve, plugged her in and she's a goer.

Thanks Daniel for the heads up and to Marty for the offer. I couldn't let Marty have a go at it coz then I have to play with only one hand/flipper to ensure his high score would last  @@*  %.%

Thanks again guys for the help and support.  ^^^

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 06:41:20 PM »
Rushed home and did a quick test before doing the jumpers and found the link between BR2 & C5 -ve points was suspect. Sometimes it would make. So I did jumpers to both the +ve and -ve, plugged her in and she's a goer.

Thanks Daniel for the heads up and to Marty for the offer. I couldn't let Marty have a go at it coz then I have to play with only one hand/flipper to ensure his high score would last  @@*  %.%

Haha!  Thanks Rob.  BTW - I found out a 'easter egg' in TOMMY so you can play the full game (all balls) with the blinders ON!  I'm sure in that mode, on the first ball you'd still beat me.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 06:52:46 PM »

Haha!  Thanks Rob.  BTW - I found out a 'easter egg' in TOMMY so you can play the full game (all balls) with the blinders ON!  I'm sure in that mode, on the first ball you'd still beat me.
Marty the only time I close my eyes is when you're playing  %.% && I know your type though, the old pool shark type, you only play properly when it counts  !@#

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 07:09:03 PM »
Rob,

Good offer from a good bloke !  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !