Author Topic: swapping MPU boards  (Read 438 times)

Offline braddo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: swapping MPU boards
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2010, 08:50:13 PM »
OK I'll do that through the week.

I again put in the Seawitch MPU and it booted fine every time and the test ran smooth, so it's got to be the MPU right?? Thanks again everyone i'll keep you posted.
WTB (or possibly trade) - 1980 Stern ALI

Offline braddo

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2010, 09:42:45 PM »
I carefully reseated U10, U11 and the 5101 chip. Test went fine, had about 5 games then same problem ^&^.

Then turned off and on only got 2 flashes ^&^

It then booted up and reset in the test phase ^&^

There's a credit button under the playfield when i push it to get credits it resets.

I notice in attract mode the extra ball lights won't flash whereas they did with the Seawitch MPU, the attract mode lights also flashed quicker with the Seawitch MPU. MMmmm maybe now this is a job for Ken?? What do you reckon?

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2010, 10:00:59 PM »
You could swap 5101's with your Seawitch MPU.  If it still does it I'm thinking you have a problem with the actual chip socket (check the soldering on the back of it) or there could be corrosion (dodgy tracks) around that general area.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2010, 10:05:08 PM »

Rod is right - The sockets (sometimes labelled "SCANBE") are notorious for this sort of behaviour, and the only real fix is to replace them. You can try cleaning the legs with 360 grit sandpaper (gently). Won't be a permanent fix, but it may work.

On the Credit button, there is a diode - make sure that diode is not touching the door.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline braddo

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2010, 10:14:55 PM »
OK guys I might as well keep going with work on the board, I find it enjoyable most the time anyway. I'll have a closer look at the sockets, clean the chip etc. thanks a heap everyone. Nino I'll owe you Galaxy by the time it's up and running %.%.

Also Nino i should explain better, someone has installed a button under the cabinet (not playfield !@)) which is used to add credits, I'm going to have a closer look at that too.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2010, 10:24:20 AM »
OK guys I might as well keep going with work on the board, I find it enjoyable most the time anyway. I'll have a closer look at the sockets, clean the chip etc. thanks a heap everyone. Nino I'll owe you Galaxy by the time it's up and running %.%.

Also Nino i should explain better, someone has installed a button under the cabinet (not playfield !@)) which is used to add credits, I'm going to have a closer look at that too.

Better than drilling a hole through the coin door !

Galaxy is an awesome machine, we will get it going sooner or later !

Offline braddo

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2010, 08:09:12 PM »
OK time for an update.

Put the Seawitch 5101 in the Galaxy. Booted straight away and I played it for about an hour or so with no major problems BUT the high score display was all over the place (not even showing 6 digits, I can't put credits up (the under machine credit button won't work), and I can't 'pop' the game with high scores or scabs. I can play it though and it's not resetting, and G.I. is hooked up and working #*#

Anyway getting closer, it still has the original chip sockets, so i'll replace the 5101 socket first and go from there. Also, where do I buy these 5101 chips?? Cheers guys!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 08:59:37 PM by braddo »

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2010, 09:53:14 PM »
Good news champ.  Email Ken for the 5101's.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2010, 10:03:43 PM »
OK time for an update.

Put the Seawitch 5101 in the Galaxy. Booted straight away and I played it for about an hour or so with no major problems BUT the high score display was all over the place (not even showing 6 digits, I can't put credits up (the under machine credit button won't work), and I can't 'pop' the game with high scores or scabs. I can play it though and it's not resetting, and G.I. is hooked up and working #*#

Anyway getting closer, it still has the original chip sockets, so i'll replace the 5101 socket first and go from there. Also, where do I buy these 5101 chips?? Cheers guys!

After you replace the 5101, you will need to reset the memory by pressing the button to the right of the CPU.

Great result tho !

Offline braddo

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2010, 10:54:55 PM »
I was about to crash out and let it wait, after playing around with S33 with no results, I put the game into test mode, and pushed the reset button for every test 6 and onwards to reset the displays to 00.

I can now add credits, the displays are working fine, the knocker is working, I can set high score etc.

So it looks like I've got a fully working Galaxy after 9 months. #*# #*# #*#

I would have never have thought of resetting the memory Nino, I thought the socket was making the displays, button, knocker etc. play up with a new chip in it, pure guesswork in desperation hitting the S33 every test mode after pushing it once did nothing, what a fluke on my part. !@)

I'll put a new 5101 in first (return the other to Seawitch) and see how things go I'll leave the socket for now if all's good. I read on Marvins guide about the chips and sockets but really just thought it was a power problem with pins/connectors, cause the PSB was hacked right up.

Is it possible?? All my machines working at the same time for the first time?? Fingers crossed I'll she how she goes and thanks a heap again Nino, Rod and everyone else who helped.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 11:14:35 PM by braddo »

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2010, 11:15:08 PM »
Great news!  Persistence pays off once again  ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Ballywannabe

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2010, 10:07:16 AM »
Great news :D  Stern MPU200's are very fussy about their 5101's.  They can pass the bootup test but still cause problems, including affecting the game sounds in weird ways!