Author Topic: Low GI  (Read 992 times)

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
Re: Low GI
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 12:39:58 AM »
thanks andrew for all your help so far mitch and i really appreciate it,mate.never tested ac before(big lesson),ppb has 3.2 at fuse f1-f4 in respect to ground.header has been replaced,fuse clips,and connector with trifurcons,crimped and soldered.will investigate further tomorrow and report back,getting late
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline studley67

• Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 12:54:54 AM »
now!!!.... the 3.2 at the fuses is exactly half that should be there..hum....is half the ac cycle being clamped by a diode.ie controlled lamp shorted to gi lamp????    

memory trip back in school

after midnight,damien drunk............sorry
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 07:52:39 PM by studley67 »

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 01:49:45 AM »
now!!!.... the 3.2 at the fuses is exactly half that should be there..hum....is half the ac cycle being clamped by a diode.ie controlled lamp shorted to gi lamp????     

memory trip back in school
you need to have both probes on the AC wires. you wont get a correct reading if you tie one to GND or the earth strap. the reason why i gave all the different points to test is to determine were the voltage drop is and to make sure you have the both probes on each of the A.C wires. . the process of tests i have been giving you is the same way i test for a low G.I. fault.  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^^

I hope I didn't come across as rude with the above.  !@)
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline studley67

• Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 02:04:16 AM »
not rude at a;;.i have learned from this $#$

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2011, 02:15:25 AM »
not rude at a;;.i have learned from this $#$
i am glad you have it will help you determine G.I. faults and any other low voltage A.C. faults in the future.
I have also posted the diagrams and pics so if any one else needs them to sort out the same problem. ^^^
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline studley67

• Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2011, 06:38:00 PM »
andrew,is this a  connector.if so where is it?

Offline studley67

• Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, 06:58:59 PM »
readings were

cn9's= 5.9
cn8's=5.71
cn8'8-j5's=5.49

now gi strings are 4.5

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2011, 08:54:50 PM »
readings were

cn9's= 5.9
cn8's=5.71
cn8'8-j5's=5.49

now gi strings are 4.5
All those voltages are fine for an early sega / data east. even the 4.5v on the strings. I just did a test on a last action hero that has the same G.I setup. all the voltages you have given me are very close to what I have . The machine i tested these voltages on has good g.i lighting.
There are only two things left it could be A, the lamps are 47's instead of 44's or you have a problem with the lamp sockets.

I will do a test on bretts sega just to make sure it equals yours
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 08:58:20 PM by beaky »

Offline studley67

• Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2011, 09:04:20 PM »
. ^&^ thanks very much for your paitence,at least i have learned how to test ac now.and now i know my way around this circuit,i will remember the lesson well,p.s. globes are 44,that i can get to,slings.mitchell has ordered some 555 spotlights to lighten the lower playfield area. &^& @.@

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2011, 09:16:30 PM »
. ^&^ thanks very much for your paitence,at least i have learned how to test ac now.and now i know my way around this circuit,i will remember the lesson well,p.s. globes are 44,that i can get to,slings.mitchell has ordered some 555 spotlights to lighten the lower playfield area. &^& @.@
sorry about putting you through all that. I measured the string voltage on the backbox insert and it was 4.5v. We know now that all your gi circuits through the boards are fine.
that is why your other data east looks dull also.

Offline studley67

• Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2011, 09:34:13 PM »
andrew also today i found a manufacture fault that you may want to look at on bretts.
i was testing resistance between cn8 pins 1-4 ac feed to playfield to ground.found a dead short with playfield down that whent away with it up...umm..left hand side with playfied up,i found a gi lamp that was earthing, as it was to close to the edge and touched the grounded sevice rails when pf was in the down position.food for thought,thanks again damien

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2011, 11:25:34 AM »
thanks mate i will check it out next time i am over at brett's. now i see why you were getting voltage readings across the ac and ground.