Author Topic: EM pinnie not resetting properly  (Read 1397 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: EM pinnie not resetting properly
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2009, 01:41:31 PM »

OK - I think I understand. Eventually, they do all rest to Zero, but it takes longer than usual. The fact that is does serve a ball suggests that there could be an issue with the switchstacks on the score reels. There is a set of contacts that closes when the score reel reaches "9". I don't have a picture in front of me, but it might be on the "10"s reel, and flowing to the others. Clean or gap that set of switches on the "10"'s unit as a start.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinfrog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth WA
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 02:36:35 PM »
 Hi guys and thanks for your replies so far.Ive finally had a chance to tinker with the "old girl".I have cleaned and checked all contact points and they seem to be working as they should, but being a bit of a novice when it comes to fixing machines probably something I have overlooked.What I have observed is when registering a credit the scoring reels only click back 4 positions, for instance if the score was 56490 at the end of play and start a new game the reels would only click 4 times to 90800 therefore needing another credit to start the game. I hope this all makes sense!  Cheers.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2009, 12:54:01 AM »

OK - clearer now..

Sounds like the plungers are not moving free in the score reels.

Prove this by playing a game without the ball and testing the movement and the advance of the reels.

Take the glass off, start a game and try this ;

Hit a 10 point switch - check to see movement from 10 - 90. Does it advance the 100 reel smoothly ?
Hit a 100 point switch - check to see movement from 100 - 900. Does it advance the 1000 reel smoothly ?
Hit a 1000 point switch - check to see movement from 1000 - 9000. Does it advance the 10000 reel smoothly ?

We need to see if the game has issues scoring as well as resetting.

Offline pinfrog

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth WA
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2009, 12:59:31 AM »
Thanks again for your reply I will try this in the morning (kids asleep)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2009, 01:55:54 AM »
Stick a towel over the bell between this and ringer - can work without fear of waking kids then ( sort of)

Offline pinfrog

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth WA
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2009, 10:28:54 PM »
I have tried  the scoring reels manually as mentioned above and they all  work as they should as they do in game mode, what would be my next step! Cheers.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2009, 12:15:25 AM »

Tough one !

I'd now check the set of contacts that are normally open, but will be closed when the score reel reaches "0", it may be "9". do this by switching the machine off, removing the score reel assembly and advancing the reel through each number. You will see the contacts close when the displayed number is "9" or "0" - I can't exactly remember. These contacts need to be clean - so do so with an old business card. Do this for all the reels.

How about this...

Record a few games - the score on the reels at the end of the game. then the score after the first attempt at resetting, and the second. I'm looking for a trend here.

Early on, Owen mentioned rebuilding the score reel assemblies... That looks to be a fix..But it is a fair job if you are new to them ! But there is no better way of learning how they work !

Offline Jomac

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2009, 03:07:58 AM »
The 9th position switch is all fine and will only effect the scoring during game play by not advancing the next highest display one place.

On each real there a Zero position switch which you will see if you advance any one of them manually , It will be closed from 1 to 9 and only open at 0 , so this will make it easy for you to see.
Now when you start a new game it activates the reset control relay and score reset relays , the reset control relay cannot switch off until all number are on Zero , if it does as you are seeing it means that reset control relay thinks all scores are already at zero , this can only happen if the zero position switches are bouncing open while resetting ( it will have no effect during game ) , this is the most common reason for the game not to complete the reset.

As others have suggested , clean up everything and put your lubricant away , there is no place in a pinball for this stuff , they were made with none and intended to be that way :)
If any of the coils were binding or reels not moving your game would never start unless you were lucky enough they were already all on Zero , If they were on any other number the game should be stuck in the reset sequence once you hit the start button , it should never stop trying to reset.

I should mention there was a mod done to quite a few EM's that suffered the never ending reset loop , it was to add an extra switch to the cam stack that was open in the resting position but closed while the motor was running , this was then used in series with the reset control relay , it allowed the reset to complete after one rotation of the motor.
The problem being that the score reel coils needed to activate all 9 possible times out of 9 activations from one motor rotation , Great when new but after they get old the score pulse contacts dont fire everytime , it required another push of the credit button or another coin from the player .

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2009, 11:55:55 AM »

Great post Joey  #*#

I was unsure if it was the "9" or "0" position switch. The 9th switch is within the three points working together on the stack, and the ZERO position is it's own set of points. The Zero stack probably need to be cleaned and adjusted.

That's an interesting mod you were explaining - I've never heard of that. Interesting !

Offline pinfrog

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth WA
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2009, 05:21:50 PM »
Thanks again for your replies and proffesional advise, I finally went back and rechecked and made sure everything was working as described ,took out coil and cleaned sleeves and plunger ,cleaned all contacts again and presto all working as it should ! All score reels back to zero first time.Much appreciated .

Offline Ballywannabe

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2009, 08:23:00 PM »
Well done Les - I told you you would get some good help and advise on this forum.  Great to see $&& !#% $#$

P.S does that mean you now have time to do my Star Trek cab @@*
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 08:25:08 PM by Ballywannabe »

Offline pinfrog

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth WA
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2009, 09:36:04 PM »
Hi Ian start stripping the startrek down Ill  get the spray gun warmed up!

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2009, 09:43:46 PM »

Good stuff Les  $#$

Now go and enjoy your game !

Offline Jomac

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2009, 01:08:09 AM »
Thanks again for your replies and proffesional advise, I finally went back and rechecked and made sure everything was working as described ,took out coil and cleaned sleeves and plunger ,cleaned all contacts again and presto all working as it should ! All score reels back to zero first time.Much appreciated .

Great work mate , that is a real achievement and also gives you a good grounding to keep things running now that you understand part of the process .

Offline pinfrog

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth WA
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2009, 01:32:58 AM »
Thanks Joe   youve helped in more ways than one .I had an old Jomac  bussiness card that I had found in a jacks open pin that I aquired  a few years ago,handy for cleaning contacts!  ^^^