Author Topic: Cleaning wire ramps  (Read 942 times)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Cleaning wire ramps
« on: February 01, 2009, 12:01:07 PM »
Hi guys,

I've run out of things to do on the T2 until I get the decal issue sorted....

I have now turned to the final step of cleaning the wire ramps.  I've done the usual of soaking/scrubbing with warm water & some nifti...For some reason I cannot get one cleaned.  Its got some sort of build up on it which refuses to budge and I cannot get it clean or shiny.  I even tried some calcium and rust remover on it...The other one (which I suspect is a newer ramp) came up like new...

Has anyone got any good tips for bringing a wire ramp back to life?

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: Cleaning wire ramps
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 12:10:56 PM »
Could you test a spot with some Oxalic acid? I think you can get it from Bunnings.

Here is a previous post about it: http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=110.msg3880#msg3880, courtesy of Marty Machine.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 12:24:11 PM »

I've used Brasso and a stiff toothbrush - if the dirt is not too embedded.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline slammer

• Forum Posts:
  • Bendigo Victoria
  • Aussie Pinball - No bullshit, just pinball
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 12:29:36 PM »
I know it sounds stupid, but I just removed the wire ramps from my cactus jacks out of the disherwasher!

They were absolutley filthy, and have come out better than new!

You could try that first, mine went it for the 30 min short cycle with the normal dishwasher detergent.

PS I also put in all my clear plastic ramps (even with stickers on them) and they came out spot on as well, all that was needed was a quick going over with the perspex polish to get rid of the water marks.

Cheers Angelo

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 12:32:23 PM »
I know it sounds stupid, but I just removed the wire ramps from my cactus jacks out of the disherwasher!

You could try that first, mine went it for the 30 min short cycle with the normal dishwasher detergent.

PS I also put in all my clear plastic ramps (even with stickers on them) and they came out spot on as well, all that was needed was a quick going over with the perspex polish to get rid of the water marks.

Cheers Angelo

There have been some horror stories from people washing plastic ramps and plastics in their dishwashers - mainly from having it on for too long, or too hot - so anyone wanting to give this a go, PLEASE do a test run first!

Some of the plastic ramps and plastics are near impossible to replace, so if you have a machine where these parts are not available, use the dishwasher trick at your own risk.

Also, make sure you strip down all the wiring, lamp sockets and switches from anything you put through the dishwasher.

Offline slammer

• Forum Posts:
  • Bendigo Victoria
  • Aussie Pinball - No bullshit, just pinball
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 12:57:50 PM »

Cheers Angelo

There have been some horror stories from people washing plastic ramps and plastics in their dishwashers - mainly from having it on for too long, or too hot - so anyone wanting to give this a go, PLEASE do a test run first!

Some of the plastic ramps and plastics are near impossible to replace, so if you have a machine where these parts are not available, use the dishwasher trick at your own risk.

Also, make sure you strip down all the wiring, lamp sockets and switches from anything you put through the dishwasher.

Thanks for the warning Owen, I was surprised that the stickers stayed on.

I ran it on the shortest cylce, the plastic ramps were quite thin and there was no distortion or change at all.

The plastics with printing on them were washed in hot soapy water and work very good as well.

Cheers Angelo

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 01:03:26 PM »

Cheers Angelo

Thanks for the warning Owen, I was surprised that the stickers stayed on.

I ran it on the shortest cylce, the plastic ramps were quite thin and there was no distortion or change at all.

The plastics with printing on them were washed in hot soapy water and work very good as well.

Cheers Angelo

No worries Angelo, I know this trick works, but I know of people who have just put the plastic parts in on a normal cycle, only to find that they are now in the market for new ones...

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 01:42:30 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys,

I had tried Brasso, with a rag and clean...no different...I also tried Meguaires chrome polish, which helped a little but those stains still there.

I've given the Oxalic acid a go.  Unfortunately I've only got a big nappy bucket to put it in (with 4-1 mix) I cannot soak the whole ramp, so I'm just doing the ends and 'baisting' the rest of the ramp!

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 02:06:21 PM »

your handle will be back friday looking like new

mark

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 02:08:34 PM »

your handle will be back friday looking like new

mark

Thankyou Mark, as always A1 service all the way!

PS..

Hope you weren't too shocked with the visit from the potential customer I sent your way last week!

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 02:09:52 PM »

I am never shocked these days
and thanks

mark

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 02:17:08 PM »
He'll love a game of Daytona against you & your crew!

I'll pop down on Sat to grab the handle & skull...

THanks again

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 02:24:31 PM »
PS..

Hope you weren't too shocked with the visit from the potential customer I sent your way last week!

OK - spill the beans...

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 03:19:36 PM »

we have 8 hooked up at the moment
I brought mine in from Home .  so its party time...
although  2 pairs are leaving soon   to new homes ....   we will be back to 4 seats again..
Owen used to play too but I think we scared him off ....

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 03:38:35 PM »
PS..

OK - spill the beans...

Haha, nothing terrible.  Just people in fluro vests sometimes give people a surprise!....