Author Topic: Help needed for replacing 5101 RAM for system 1 pinball?  (Read 359 times)

Offline mgjock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Help needed for replacing 5101 RAM for system 1 pinball?
« on: February 02, 2009, 05:15:00 PM »
Help needed for replacing 5101 RAM for system 1 pinball?

Hi,

I need to replace the 5101 CMOS RAM in the backbox of on my Sinbad pinball. I have already purchased some new RAM and the old RAM is still on the board. I have tried pulling the old RAM from the board by hand but it won't budge. Should the old RAM that exists on the board be easily removed by hand? Or is it soldered on? Can someone provide me with some simple steps on what I have to do on how to remove the old RAM and replace it with the new RAM?

Thanks

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
If the board is original it would be soldered in.

If it is plugged in you should be able to see it sitting in a socket.  If its soldered the pins will be clearly seen as having solder where they meet the board.

If it is soldered in you will need to desolder it and then it is best to fit a socket so that it is easy to remove if it ever needs replacement again.  The 22 pin sockets are available at Jaycar.

Hope this helps.
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline mgjock

• Forum Posts:
thanks for that info.. that is very helpful.

it seems to be the original board and soldered on.

one more question? when i buy the socket from jaycar, how do i install the socket? do i just solder it onto the board?

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
Yes you solder the socket onto the board and then plug your RAM in making sure its the correct way around of course.

Are you good with a soldering iron?  Because some times these are difficult to remove without pulling tracks off the board.

Easiest way is to cut all the pins off the existing ic to move the body of the ic out of the way and then desolder the pins from the board.
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

Be careful handling your new 5101. These are CMOS chips and can be damaged from Static discharge.

Don't touch the legs !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline chris288

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
It sounds like you may not be too experienced with a soldering iron.

If thats the case maybe practise desoldering on an old videogame pcb first ( they are cheap & easy to find) rather than hack up the existing board.
Otherwise do as Dean said, cut the ic pins ( A Dremel tool with cutting disc is handy for this ) and probably what I would do is solder your ic soket pins to the bits of old ic leg that are still poking thru the board because that way you will be able to put a good blob of solder on each one.

If you do desolder the whole thing you really do need some desolder wick too ( from Jaycar) to clean up the holes so the ic legs will go thru. But do be careful because too much heat will lift the pcb track off the board.

It should be worth noting that 5101s are a  CMOS device and as such you should wear an anti static earth strap when you solder it in.
Anyway good luck with it and let us know how you get on.
 ^^^

Offline mgjock

• Forum Posts:
wow.. thanks for that all very helpful info. im not great with soldering but i've had some practice. i will buy the socket tomorrow and then give it a go. ill let you know how i go. thanks again

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Where are you located? Happy to help with desoldering and soldering if you aren't feeling overconfident.