Author Topic: Mata Hari Switch Matrix  (Read 773 times)

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
Mata Hari Switch Matrix
« on: February 06, 2009, 10:19:00 PM »
Anyone have a copy of the switch matrix for a Bally Mata Hari.  It is not in the standard manual as I have a PDF of this and it aint there.  Need to know which switches are on what rows and colomns and the wire colours etc.  I have a Stern Manual for a Meteor which is same system (in general terms) and stern used to show all this in their manuals but it doesnt seem to be in the MH manual.  If anyone has a copy of the switch matrix for this game it would make life easy.

Cheers  Dean
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 10:22:14 PM by Dean Morgan »
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
Re: Mata Hari Switch Matrix
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 11:47:49 PM »
Hi Dean,

I must have the same manual as you for Mata Hari...

What is the problem you are having with the switch matrix? I may be able to help.

• Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 03:18:29 PM »
Hi Dean,

What is the problem you are having with the switch matrix? I may be able to help.

Currently all switches in 1 row wont operate.  These are those connected to Pin 15 of J2.  The MPU switch test shows switch 08 as shorted (outhole switch).  By this I mean all player dispalays show a 08.  Manual shows 08 as outhole switch.

Question on the Stern MPU the switch test numbers are shown in the ball/credit display is it different on the early Bally's as the 08 appears in the player displays?

I believe at this stage it may be an MPU problem as if you put the machine in switch test mode and then remove plugs J2 & J3 it still shows the 08.

PIA's are both Ok as is the resistor and capacitor connected to this pin 15 of J2.

Any ideas,  I hope to have a better look latter this afternoon when this bloddy heat cools a little.

Cheers Dean

Offline Skybeaux

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Central Coast / Newcastle
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 07:25:14 PM »
Did you check if CR11 diode is ok ?

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 07:39:37 PM »
Hi Dean,

Currently all switches in 1 row wont operate.  These are those connected to Pin 15 of J2.  The MPU switch test shows switch 08 as shorted (outhole switch).  By this I mean all player dispalays show a 08.  Manual shows 08 as outhole switch.

Question on the Stern MPU the switch test numbers are shown in the ball/credit display is it different on the early Bally's as the 08 appears in the player displays?

I believe at this stage it may be an MPU problem as if you put the machine in switch test mode and then remove plugs J2 & J3 it still shows the 08.

PIA's are both Ok as is the resistor and capacitor connected to this pin 15 of J2.

Any ideas,  I hope to have a better look latter this afternoon when this bloddy heat cools a little.

Cheers Dean

Bally pinballs do show the switch numbers on all the player displays.

CR11 is a definite possibility, as is R69 and C40 - connected to J3 pin 16.

Did you swap the PIA's to test them?

• Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 08:11:31 PM »
Hi Owen, yes swapped the PIAs both with brand new.  Still same.

Replaced capacitor C19 and checked R54 which measures correct at 1.2k Ohms. Diode CR35 also appears good.  These are the components connected to PIN15 of J3.

You mention J3 pin 16 bit the fault appears on the playfield return at J2 pin 15? 

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 08:48:35 PM by Dean Morgan »

Offline Skybeaux

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Central Coast / Newcastle
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 08:26:07 PM »
You said pin 15 of J2 before !@# ,that's why i said CR11

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 08:29:50 PM »

Replaced capacitor C19 and checked R54 which measures correct at 1.2k Ohms. Diode CR35 also appears good.  These are the components connected to PIN15 of J3.

You mention J3 pin 16 bit the fault appears on the playfield return at J3 pin 15? 

Thanks

Yeah, J3 pin 16 is joined to J2 pin 15....

J2 pin 15 goes through a resistor (R54), then to a capacitor (C19) with a pull down resistor (R39), and then to the PIA. J3 pin 16 goes through a resistor (R69), then to a capacitor (C40) with the same pull down resistor as before (R39), and then to the PIA onto the SAME pin as J2 pin 15 does.

So, the capacitor for J3 pin 16 or pull down resistor may be affecting the switch line for J2 pin 15.

Also, I forgot to mention CR19, CR27 and CR35 (but you've already tested CR35), and CR11 as mentioned before.

At least you know it's not the PIA's by replacing them with new ones, so it should be between the plug and the PIA.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 08:36:02 PM by pinball-fixer »

• Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 08:47:54 PM »

Yes should have read J2, I have edited the post.  Thanks

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 08:50:17 PM »

Yes should have read J2, I have edited the post.  Thanks

LOL, I didn't even notice the mistake, I read it as J2 anyway...

• Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 08:50:30 PM »

You mention J3 pin 16 bit the fault appears on the playfield return at J3 pin 15? 

Thanks

J2 pin 15 goes through a resistor (R54), then to a capacitor (C19) with a pull down resistor (R39), and then to the PIA. J3 pin 16 goes through a resistor (R69), then to a capacitor (C40) with the same pull down resistor as before (R39), and then to the PIA onto the SAME pin as J2 pin 15 does.

So, the capacitor for J3 pin 16 or pull down resistor may be affecting the switch line for J2 pin 15.

Also, I forgot to mention CR19, CR27 and CR35 (but you've already tested CR35), and CR11 as mentioned before.

At least you know it's not the PIA's by replacing them with new ones, so it should be between the plug and the PIA.
Cheers, I will check these and let you know shortly

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 08:52:07 PM »

Thanks

Cheers, I will check these and let you know shortly

No probs mate. I await your findings...

• Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 10:00:20 PM »
All fixed.  Thanks Owen and Pin Repairs for your helpfull posts.

Turns out Owens lead on J2 Pin 15 was correct.  C40 capacitor was stuffed.  Looked fine no acid damage etc but stuffed none the less.

THANKS HEAPS

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 10:13:26 PM »

Turns out Owens lead on J2 Pin 15 was correct.  C40 capacitor was stuffed.  Looked fine no acid damage etc but stuffed none the less.

THANKS HEAPS

No probs at all Dean.

Glad to help out, and I bet you're happy that it's fixed now!

• Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2009, 10:16:11 PM »

THANKS HEAPS

No probs at all Dean.

Glad to help out, and I bet you're happy that it's fixed now!
Very pleased