Author Topic: Playfield Wear?  (Read 1019 times)

Offline wingtipvortex

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Playfield Wear?
« on: February 17, 2009, 07:45:13 PM »
Greetings,  how would i go about fixing a problem like this?  Its not just surface,  its a mm or 2 in depth. 

Also, is this considered "bad" wear?
Cheers, Andy.

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Playfield Wear?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 08:31:48 PM »
Greetings,  how would i go about fixing a problem like this?  Its not just surface,  its a mm or 2 in depth. 

Also, is this considered "bad" wear?
Cheers, Andy.

I guess any wear through paint is not good.

As far as fixing it goes, there are plenty of guys here which are experts in that field.  I guess one option is to make a decal and place some mylar over the top.  Given its in front of the sling the mylar would hide this.  Any repair (ie paint) would have to be cleared otherwise as it is such a high wear area.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 11:35:17 PM »

That would need to be filled and raised to the playfield level - PLUS - it sits right next to the edge of the mylar.

I'm an amateur is this area, I guess Gavin or Mitch could chime in with some real advice.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 12:07:57 AM »
Anything that goes through the paint and takes wood off as well must be bad wear!

Offline PinKong

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 12:57:16 AM »
Looks like there is mylar (worn through) there as well (check bottom post on slingshot) . As I know where the Pinball came from he applied a whole mylar sheet over most of his PF's.
I think we will have to strip the PF Wingtip and remove the operators mylar (usually one large sheet over the top of the whole PF and the factory stuff is underneath from my experience with Pins from Ed) and get artistic. I would build up the red first to get it even and then the black .

Offline wingtipvortex

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 12:57:41 AM »
Anything that goes through the paint and takes wood off as well must be bad wear!
@.@ Yeah, your right.  I worded that badly.  I meant,  is it "unfixable bad".   %$%

Offline wingtipvortex

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 01:00:28 AM »
Looks like there is mylar (worn through) there as well (check bottom post on slingshot) . As I know where the Pinball came from he applied a whole mylar sheet over most of his PF's.
I think we will have to strip the PF Wingtip and remove the operators mylar (usually one large sheet over the top of the whole PF and the factory stuff is underneath from my experience with Pins from Ed) and get artistic. I would build up the red first to get it even and then the black .
Sounds like it could be a plan.  As far as i can tell, the bit that is worn, for lack of a swear word,  has had no mylar on it at all. 

Offline PinKong

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 01:16:16 AM »
Nothing is unfixable mate, you saw what I did with a Firepower that was headed for the tip. We/you just have to get into it, maybe buy another pin so you don't get withdrawals while the paint is drying %$%.

Time to strip the PF mate and that cruddy mylar overlay , maybe you can take one of my babies home and leave yours with me if your not sure. I learn't all my pinball stuff on the net and I reckon your more than capable , just do it nice and slow %$%

Offline PinKong

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 01:19:57 AM »
Sounds like it could be a plan.  As far as i can tell, the bit that is worn, for lack of a swear word,  has had no mylar on it at all. 
just looking at the photo the PF looks a bit dull like the "contact" clear he used, I will bet my bottom dollar that it has the full Edward School contact overlay %$%

edit which removes very easily with Desolvit with no paint lift

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 02:45:44 PM »
@.@ Yeah, your right.  I worded that badly.  I meant,  is it "unfixable bad".   %$%

Yeah, bad wear, but definately not unfixable.  Good luck mate

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 10:19:12 PM »

I would build up the red first to get it even and then the black .

That sounds like a pretty good plan to me too. The only other thing i could add would be to clean up (lightly sand) and prime the bare wood first before you attempt any painting. And maybe some spot putty after that to get it nice n level if needed. I use K&H brand acrylic primer/filler for doing this, (bought from Supercheap Auto or Repco, etc). Its sold in spraycans, so some masking off is needed (Occasionally i'll brush the primer on by hand, spraying some primer into a small container or the lid off the can). sometimes the primer/filler is enough on its own without using spot putty if the wear is not too deep.

Hope this info is helpful!!

Cheers.. Mitch

Offline wingtipvortex

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 08:17:03 PM »
Cheers for the help lads,  going to start a restoration thread soon.  I think i will go for it all the way.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 08:44:57 PM »
Ach - thats nothing....

Any Mylar that is on the edge of this etc needs to be removed. Wipe the bare wood down really well with meths to remove any grease and allow to dry.

You now have to fill the area to bring the level up - builders bog can be used here - apply it with a small spatula or even cut down credit card. Allow this to dry and very carefully sand it back with some sand paper folded over the tip of your finger.

Once this is done and wiped  back to remove ALL dust, apply clear contact vinyl over the area and cut away with a sharp scalpel the area that now needs to be painted. Now you will need to prime - i always water my primer back so it penetrates the PF instead of just sitting on top of it. Once this is dry spray on the red and remove clear contact.

You should now have a very neat area that only needs the black detail to be added.....simple enough!! can use a fine marker for this.

Now - protecting the work, no need to CC such a  small area - go to the hardware store and buy some polyurathane gloss finish, while you are there buy the additive that goes with it - this makes standard P/thane VERY tough. If you havent got an airbrush then a SABLE paintbrush will do the job - make sure its a smal sable brush, not nylon - these give brush marks. Cover your work with thin layers of this, applying another layer every couple of hours.

I did the kickouts on my Lost World with exactly this method. I didnt restore to perfect, i wanted it to look as though it had seen a few games already. When i got the game - all the paint was missing behind the kickout where the ball would slam into this area This was restored some 5 years ago now and has had 100's of games on it.

It still looks the same today as it did when back then - no wear at all...take a look

For pics of the clear contact sheet and priming etc see this post id did..

http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=114.0

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 07:58:31 AM »
Im glad you posted this advice Gavin.

I'm still VERY wary about giving advice about PF touchup/restoring.. as the methods i use are VERY different to what most other people use, and i dont consider myself an expert at this at all, to be totally honest. I just like the auto acrylics because i'm used to them, they work well for me, and id hate for some one to ruin a good PF if my tips didnt work for them. (i only replied because i was asked.. as were you).

Dont get me wrong, im always happy to help others out if i can.. i just want to be sure the advice i give is good :lol
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 08:03:48 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 09:04:55 AM »
Im glad you posted this advice Gavin.

I'm still VERY wary about giving advice about PF touchup/restoring.. as the methods i use are VERY different to what most other people use, and i dont consider myself an expert at this at all, to be totally honest. I just like the auto acrylics because i'm used to them, they work well for me, and id hate for some one to ruin a good PF if my tips didnt work for them. (i only replied because i was asked.. as were you).

Dont get me wrong, im always happy to help others out if i can.. i just want to be sure the advice i give is good :lol

Id be very interested in finding out your techniques.There is no 1 right way to touch up a PF. The methods i post are what ive taught myself and learnt over the years..without a lot of experimentation i wouldnt have these. Funny thing is that not many things ive tried have gone wrong or at least cant be reversed if i wasnt happy with the results. So please go ahead and post - im sure there will be something in there that i could pick up on to help refine my own methods.
I only have a couple of very basic rules;

If a PF is painted then touch ups should be done as such - im not a fan of decals unless the original work is such.
Only do what is necessary..gentle steps are better than a jack boot!
Look for simple solutions that are at hand, most things can be rectified with whats available at the local hardware and with excellent results.

Another thing:  There is a tendency to CC everything at the moment. This is OK if you are doing a full PF restore. But ill only CC if its really necessary. CC is NOT your only option, in fact it should be your last!
The P/thane with the additive is closer to what sealed the PF in the first place than CC is. Its a linseed based finish and will yellow slightly over the years as does the original finish. Remember - the original finish has served you well for 25 - 30 years and that included a stint on site where the machine would have been thrashed! Many problems associated with PF faults are the result of poor maintenance and poor storage of the machine - stuck out in direct sunlight making the paint shrink/ expand and crack, flutuations in ambient humidity etc -  cause the timber of the PF to expand and contract, this happens at a faster rate than the paint and leads to lifting etc.

Once a machine is in private hands, it is looked after 100 X better than it ever was when it was in service, so if a PF has lasted 25 years so far...expect that again if its looked after.

The best protector of your machine is a clean PF that is waxed regularly ( grit and dust cause wear) and smooth  shiny balls.

Keep the last point up and really, you should see no wear at all once its in private hands.

Sorry Pinbologist if this sounds like a sermon - its not meant to be...its just general advice for anyone that is reading and not directed at anyone in particular..

But please mate - post on how you would tackle the wear shown in this thread, im really hoping that there will be something in the post that i can incorporate.....

Gav