Author Topic: Playfield Wear?  (Read 1018 times)

Offline SPURR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
Re: Playfield Wear?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 03:15:05 PM »
Gavin I have been using clear finger nail polish to fill dents on pf wood grain where this is no detail eg. near the flippers. I was thinking of using it on dished pf round plastic's. I remember you were trying a two pack self leveling product (what the spiders was preserved in ) Did you ever find out?

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 12:11:05 AM »
Im glad you posted this advice Gavin.

I'm still VERY wary about giving advice about PF touchup/restoring.. as the methods i use are VERY different to what most other people use, and i dont consider myself an expert at this at all, to be totally honest. I just like the auto acrylics because i'm used to them, they work well for me, and id hate for some one to ruin a good PF if my tips didnt work for them. (i only replied because i was asked.. as were you).

Dont get me wrong, im always happy to help others out if i can.. i just want to be sure the advice i give is good :lol

Sorry Pinbologist if this sounds like a sermon - its not meant to be...its just general advice for anyone that is reading and not directed at anyone in particular..

But please mate - post on how you would tackle the wear shown in this thread, im really hoping that there will be something in the post that i can incorporate.....

Gav

Gav... No probs at all. Didnt sound like a sermon, just like more good advice.

Apart from using different paints/products to what you use, i dont think id really do anything much different to how you would repair the damage on this PF. On every PF i've done i've tried new or different techniques to repair worn areas. I have in the past always used water based artist acrylics (brushed on) to do this kind of work, the best part of this type of paint is that if you mess up with colour matching, it can be removed with a damp cloth if it hasnt been on the pf for too long, ie more than an hour or so. So (i think) its a very forgiving way to go for anyone starting out doing PF touchups. Acrylics dry DARKER, the main downside to this technique, so keep this in mind anyone reading this and wanting to try this for themselves, so mix the colour slightly lighter than the original colour you're replacing.

So for this small area, id pretty much do what you described.. ie fill and prime the wear spot, spray (or brush) the red, then do the black detail.. i use sharpie pens for this. (i did this on my Dracula PF). As for protecting it, i think mylar is definitely the easiest way, but your polyeurathane air brushed on method would be better. Again in the past i've had clear coats make sharpie ink bleed, maybe because the first coat was not sprayed on light enough. thats one reason why i've always used mylar instead of some kind of CC. An airbrush is definitely a good thing to have on hand for something like this. i should.ve gotten one yrs ago!

I hope i explained that clear enough!!

Cheers...Mitch

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 01:39:49 AM »
Hi Mitch,

CC will blurr and run Sharpie and most other permanet markers.
You need to use a water based marker and this doesnt get dissolved by the CC, but does by any sweat you may get on it. I did have a pic of all the common markers and the effects of them under CC which i seem to have lost ( might be in another post) - only one that didnt run was an ARTLINE water based marker. Luckily it writes on a smooth surface OK too!

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 09:48:08 AM »
Thanks Gavin, i'll have to remember that one if i end up doing any kind of CCing in the future. Come to think of it, in the past i DID manage to spray acrylic CC over permanent marker ink without problems a few times, and im pretty sure id used Artline brand markers. i can remember one instance where the inks bled, when i did my home made Vortex PF, that i had to fix.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 02:33:17 PM »
Gavin I have been using clear finger nail polish to fill dents on pf wood grain where this is no detail eg. near the flippers. I was thinking of using it on dished pf round plastic's. I remember you were trying a two pack self leveling product (what the spiders was preserved in ) Did you ever find out?

have a problem here... i dont have any sunken inserts to experiment with. Only ones i have are on other peoples PF's and i cant experiment with these. Anyone has a sunken insert lying around...send it to me and ill give it a go