Author Topic: Interesting history for Theatre of Magic owners  (Read 8548 times)

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
Interesting history for Theatre of Magic owners
« on: April 15, 2012, 05:23:47 PM »
Some of you may know that the original design and title for Theatre of Magic was going to be based around the stage/TV magician David Copperfield.

For whatever reason, (probably licensing costs) this never eventuated and ultimately "metamorphosised" into the TOM most of us have played today.

Fortunately John Popadiuk the designer saved a couple of pics and original design concepts of both the cabinet art and playfield layout.

Most of the design concepts stayed roughly the same between the two titles but there were a couple of changes including the omission of the planned levitating wand mech which they couldn't get to work 100% so they scrapped it, but which later turned up in Capcom Pinball Magic.

Here are some of the pics for those interested in what could have been.

As per TOM the layout for David Copperfield has the trunk and saw featuring prominently (the saw was going to be motorised, not only spinning but able to raise and lower and tied into a feature/timed game mode):

The original magnet wand design concept:

Original cabinet art:

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Re: Interesting history for Theatre of Magic owners
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 05:33:06 PM »
Thanks for that, always interesting to read anything pinball.  ^^^
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Pinprick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth
I liked the "magic" theme so much - I acquired both machines.

They sit next to each other (of course) and I will never part with them.
Capcom has the wood on Bally with clever innovations e.g. superb p/f carriage design, all lamps controlled and much more. Both are wonderful players, but I cannot decide on which is best.

P.S. I will say that I'm glad David Copperfield's fugly mug did not appear on them!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 09:08:33 PM by Pinprick »
"I don't operate on a level playing field"

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
P.S. I will say that I'm glad David Copperfield's fugly mug did not appear on them!

Good competition for Alec Baldwin on The Shadow.  %$%

Just noticed the cabinet art must have been very preliminary, "Coppefield, instead of Copperfield."
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 09:12:51 PM by pinsanity »