Author Topic: Nino's PLAYBOY PF restore  (Read 1819 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Nino's PLAYBOY PF restore
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2009, 12:44:37 AM »
More work completed tonight - the white which is the main block colour on this PF is the first to get restored. Ive actually done this twice - i wasnt happy with the first application so off it came and i started again. Now remember , this is a restore - not taking back to factory issue as the bank A ball PF is. because of this, im matching OFF colours. Whites etc will have all yellowed over the years and so this yellowed white is what needs to be replicated.
Basically, the whole PF is covered with clear vinyl and the template cut by hand - takes some time and its inportant to cut just inside any lines to prevent a massive amount of work later replacing all the black lines.

Once template is cut, it can be airbrushed

drying time depends on the mix of thinner to paint - I use a mix of turps and thinners to thin. Once its tacky the template can be removed

hey presto!!! Template is removed and NO bleed!

I didnt completely repaint all the white - ive left a lot of the old in place still and so colour match is imperative..
 on this pic the two colours meet

cant see it?? Take a closer look

If you look on the right hand side on the 2nd line up there is a straight edge here between the two different paints - a very slight misregistration can be seen also - all this will be buffed out.

Ok - so white is now done - Blue will be next.

heres an overall pic

More soon!!!!!

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2009, 10:11:22 AM »

Nice work mate !

So white is done slightly yellowed - does that present a problem with the touch up to other colors ? I assume that you won't be doing the blue areas entirely - just the areas that need to be touched up ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2009, 01:21:16 PM »
It would present a problem if i had just done the white as white because it would stand out like a sore thumb. What im doing here is matching colour and tone - you can apply any colour you want to the PF but if the tone is wrong then it glares at you and leaps out to the eye.

If i was using standard colours then everything would be mixed with a touch of yellow ochre... if you are matching existing paints on a PF then yellow ochre is your best friend... you will not match unless you add this to the pallette, sometimes you only need a tiny amount - it just takes the glare off the new paint.
 remember these PF's had a linseed finish put on them which yellows over time - you cannot get this finish off without removing most if not all the artwork. So unless you are completely repainting it ( massive amount of work) you need to fake the yellowing and yellow ochre is the go.
With Pantone inks this is achieved with yellow and a tiny touch of standard red.

Remember - there is no such colour as white on any pinball, itll either be a very pale yellow/orange or pale blue etc

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2009, 09:42:16 PM »
Gee that looks neat. You should be happy as a pig in shit and I'm sure Nino is happy

Keep the updates coming mate - inspirational stuff.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2009, 10:08:56 PM »
Gee that looks neat. You should be happy as a pig in shit and I'm sure Nino is happy

Keep the updates coming mate - inspirational stuff.

You bet I'm happy !

I'm also very fortunate to have this done NOW, as I hear there is quite a "line" of playfields to be done !

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2009, 10:34:23 PM »
So has this been in the Que Nino or did you pull a few strings lol %$%

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2009, 11:02:27 PM »
So has this been in the Que Nino or did you pull a few strings lol %$%

More strings than the Symphony Orchestra   &&

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2009, 11:05:33 PM »
Nice use of power Ninoimagine what you could do if you were a politician? &&

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2009, 12:57:59 AM »
STAGE 3...

We can really start to see some progress now - with some of the blue added its all starting to come together. Ive had to do the blue in 2 stages starting with the top. I airbrushed this part..once again - same technique with the clear templates. The colour match i got im really pleased with, its such a good match. But with the blue now in place it looks so much better

The rest of the PF i decided to do by brush - its a process of slowly building up the colour with a thin paint - i want it to soak in and really grip the PF, but starting with the side

Ive taken 2 pics of each part - one with the flash and one without. i find that with the flash any colour difference stands out better, but without is what the eye will see.

heres with the flash

And so through the PF we go with a sable brush

Now heres the reason why this is done in 2 parts - the blue at the bottom of the PF does not match the blue at the top - they are two different shades and so ill complete to where i can with the paint ive mixed and then "corrupt" it to match the colour at the bottom. This is a common problem and its really due to the linseed finish being more yellowed by the apron, but you can see here that the colours dont blend well

Once again - with flash

Its not a big issue with a Playboy PF due to the design - i can pretty much completely restore 90% of the PF and then do the bottom last.

Its only the 3rd day of progress ( im ignoring the day i wiped all my work!) but ive broken the back of this PF and so far, im really pleased with the results

Offline tonyt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2009, 07:27:09 AM »
Great work Gavin, coming up really nice.

Really need to bring the Ali playfield up with me to Queensland next week and place it near the front of the queue  :lol

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2009, 09:21:27 AM »

That is coming together nicely, Gavin. Very pleased with the results so far.

$#$