Author Topic: Stern announces new KISS pinball  (Read 128014 times)

Offline andypinboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
Re: Stern announces new KISS pinball
« Reply #195 on: May 16, 2015, 11:09:06 AM »

Cripes that's ugly - surely even for the fans??? Reminds me of Luna Park for some reason.

Love it - hilarious  :lol
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #196 on: May 16, 2015, 12:49:19 PM »
extra
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #197 on: May 16, 2015, 02:31:32 PM »
here is a good link for costs of importing:
http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4368.asp#ImportEntryCosts

Australia has a free trade agreement with the US so if you clearly states on the invoice and possibly the box that the product is US made it gets rid of a Duty's Tax for Aussies

from what I understand from US to Aus over $1000 and from personal experience of importing my first pin (mid 2010) before knowing about pin forums etc - and being very naive. I am sure when guys bring in a container and have their owner freight forwarders there are costs to be saved. I got burnt big time and could not be bothered in the future. This is what I copped so maybe learn from my mistake.

Game and Freight
- cost of game
- cost of freight (sea for me)
- freight insurance (about $3.50 per $100) - optional

Aus Port
- Aus Port Charges (% based on the volume of the crate - mine was $115 cubic metre)
- Terminal Handling Charge (% based on the volume of the crate - mine was $28 cubic metre)
- Delivery Order Fee (set fee)
- Sea Cargo Compliance Fee (set fee)
- CMR Compliance Fee (set fee)
- Import Processing Fee (set fee)
- Handling Fee (set fee)
- Terminal Security Fee (set fee)

Aus Broker
- Duty, GST & Customs - variable based on the Aus value of machine and freight - which included a gambling tax (coin operated mech)
- Quarantine Charges
- Aqis CMR Compliance Fee (set fee of approx $28)
- ACS CMR compliance Fee (set fee of approx $28)
- Cartage LCL
- Fuel Surcharge on Cartage
- Quaratine Attendance
- Agency Attendance (set fee of approx $165)

hope that helps

This is gob-smacking. A good broker should be able to minimise or get rid of a large portion of these charges (some of which I believe to be fictitious). The Aus-US FTA is a bit misleading  - it means sometimes there is preferential duty but usually not zero duty.  There are ways around duty but some aren't exactly legal.
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Brunswick Brawler

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #198 on: May 16, 2015, 03:52:55 PM »

If you have a close look under Gene's chin, you can see a black disk.

Earlier in this thread, there was talk of "spinning disks" under Gene.  It is looking like this is a Tron pinball disks feature.  If so, there will be a smaller spinning disk inside the outer disk, just visible in this photo.  The way that feature would work is it will randomly through the ball about under Gene's head, and it will either be thrown to the back where the captured ball hole is, or it will be thrown back out at a random time, direction and speed.

It's a pity that the Gene's head gets in the way of being able to see the ball being thrown about - it was great watching that action on Tron (more so as the player rather than spectator).  I'm wondering if during the concept design phase the cape extending Gene's head may have been intended to be a hinge that would lift Gene's head when the disks are spinning.  A lifting Gene head is not a listed feature, and it couldn't work as Gene's tongue would hit the wire ramp, if lifted.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 03:57:18 PM by Brunswick Brawler »

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #199 on: May 16, 2015, 04:28:38 PM »
They could have used a retractable tongue.

Offline MrMaloo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock NSW
« Reply #200 on: May 16, 2015, 04:43:03 PM »

If you have a close look under Gene's chin, you can see a black disk.

Earlier in this thread, there was talk of "spinning disks" under Gene.  It is looking like this is a Tron pinball disks feature.  If so, there will be a smaller spinning disk inside the outer disk, just visible in this photo.  The way that feature would work is it will randomly through the ball about under Gene's head, and it will either be thrown to the back where the captured ball hole is, or it will be thrown back out at a random time, direction and speed.

It's a pity that the Gene's head gets in the way of being able to see the ball being thrown about - it was great watching that action on Tron (more so as the player rather than spectator).  I'm wondering if during the concept design phase the cape extending Gene's head may have been intended to be a hinge that would lift Gene's head when the disks are spinning.  A lifting Gene head is not a listed feature, and it couldn't work as Gene's tongue would hit the wire ramp, if lifted.

Actually the disc on Tron is just one disc , not 2 . It has 2 adhesive rubber rings stuck to it with different diameters which makes the ball spin randomly . The disc under Gene's head looks like it will be some sort of multiball lock ( hence the Lite Lock inserts / standup targets each side of the entrance ) .  There is probably a post just before the disc to trap the balls in there just like the Centrifuge lock on CSI . How the balls come out of his mouth I don't know , but possibly the disc lifts up out of the playfield to inside his head which then releases them through his mouth which would require a magnet in the centre of the disc ( like on Twister , X-Men etc. ) .

Can't believe Stern went with the red trim on the LE . It just looks so damn wrong . The mock-up picture with the orange looks 1000 times better . Guess they had a lot of red trim left over from previous releases so decide to use it up .

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #201 on: May 16, 2015, 04:57:21 PM »
I think the head will pivot & possibly lower to spit out a "fireball" - dropping a ball from that height onto the playfield would cause havoc. Bet Gene made sure balls were coming out rather than going into his mouth.

Oh & hallelujah re the orange. Stern needs to engage a colour consultant earlier in the process - to make the LE the most "clashing" is bad 4 business. Hopefully they'll recall any red trim models - but hey we're talking about it so not all bad.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 05:00:45 PM by andypinboy »

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #202 on: May 16, 2015, 06:35:19 PM »

... but possibly the disc lifts up out of the playfield to inside his head which then releases them through his mouth which would require a magnet in the centre of the disc ( like on Twister , X-Men etc. ) ...

There is a hole located back behind the spinning disk, and out of sight (I don't recall where I saw that drawing).  The lock seems to work by getting the ball past the spinning disk and into the hole at the back.  I would guess that from that rear hole the ball is either returned 'under the playfield' or locked to be eventually shot up into the back of Gene's head.  The cape behind Gene's head would conceal the ball being shot out of the hole and into the back of Gene's head, exiting from the month.

Regarding the Tron disk/disks, I think you will find that the two rubber stickers are each placed on two disks (a circle spinning one way, within an outer ring spinning the opposite way).  The reason you see the two red light circles on Tron, is that one red light is coming out of the gap between the inner circle and the outer ring, and the other red light is coming out from the out edge of the outer ring.  Does anyone have a Tron to confirm it has one or two spinning disks?

Regarding KISS, I just checked the KISS Feature Matrix from Stern does refer to the "spinning disk" - so it must be one disk.  I don't know where I got the earlier reference to "spinning disks".

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #203 on: May 16, 2015, 06:42:53 PM »
Kiss game play video coming up within a week:

Stern:  "Follow @sternpinball on Instagram for exclusive photos! #SternPinball #Kiss #Pro #PinballMachine gameplay video coming next week! "

Quoted from Stern's Facebook page four hours ago:
https://www.facebook.com/sternpinball/photos/a.386178974243.167508.136972659243/10153278399739244/?type=1&theater

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #204 on: May 16, 2015, 07:23:13 PM »
The off topic discussion on "customs charges" has been split off to here - http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=13785.0
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #205 on: May 16, 2015, 07:31:56 PM »
The off topic discussion on "customs charges" has been split off to here - http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=13785.0

Great news a really good thread was starting to lose its way-lets keep on track  ^^^
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 07:33:31 PM by GORGAR 1 »

Offline silverball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #206 on: May 16, 2015, 07:38:18 PM »
As per stern Facebook page
Paul Stanley figurine toy is animated on premium and le versions and he dances.

Offline MrMaloo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock NSW
« Reply #207 on: May 16, 2015, 07:47:06 PM »
Regarding the Tron disk/disks, I think you will find that the two rubber stickers are each placed on two disks (a circle spinning one way, within an outer ring spinning the opposite way).  The reason you see the two red light circles on Tron, is that one red light is coming out of the gap between the inner circle and the outer ring, and the other red light is coming out from the out edge of the outer ring.  Does anyone have a Tron to confirm it has one or two spinning disks?

Yes I do in my games room actually ..  ^^^

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #208 on: May 16, 2015, 07:59:07 PM »
As per stern Facebook page
Paul Stanley figurine toy is animated on premium and le versions and he dances.

Yes a very cool toy :) and the ball runs along the back board via a magnet :)

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #209 on: May 16, 2015, 10:05:20 PM »
I'm calling it - the head as we know is used for multiball on le & prem - but Stern won't let a ball drop from that height onto such a visible piece of playfield (surely). What will happen is when multiball is triggered the head lowers/tilts fwd to shoot balls. New Stern owners have mylar over cliffy over mylar - & that's just for the outlanes. If this doesn't lower there'll be panic in the market *%*