Author Topic: Stern announces new KISS pinball  (Read 128026 times)

Offline MrMaloo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock NSW
Re: Stern announces new KISS pinball
« Reply #210 on: May 16, 2015, 10:22:14 PM »
The picture above ( originally posted by Gorgar ) shows what looks to be a scoop exit inside Gene's mouth . Doesn't look like the head can lower because of the stand-up targets and rails around the spinning disc . I don't think it'd be able to tilt forward either as his head would hit on that wireform ramp . It looks as though the set-up is for Gene's head to stay as-is and the balls do indeed exit his mouth down onto the playfield . Two problems with this could be :

- Dents in the playfield from repeated ball drops from a height .
- Tongues breaking .

I guess time will tell .

Offline andypinboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #211 on: May 16, 2015, 10:37:21 PM »
Well, if you are right then someone should be working on a protector now - Swinks quick, to the bat drawing board...
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Brunswick Brawler

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #212 on: May 16, 2015, 11:31:37 PM »
Regarding the Tron disk/disks, I think you will find that the two rubber stickers are each placed on two disks (a circle spinning one way, within an outer ring spinning the opposite way).  The reason you see the two red light circles on Tron, is that one red light is coming out of the gap between the inner circle and the outer ring, and the other red light is coming out from the out edge of the outer ring. Does anyone have a Tron to confirm it has one or two spinning disks?

Yes I do in my games room actually ..  ^^^

Have a look at the picture below to so see what is under Gene.  There is a narrowing space beyond the spinning disk.  I think is a ball capture hole is at the end of it for the locked ball.

Thinking of whether Gene's head lowers, yes it does look as if it may rotate forwards to lower the tongue.  Looking at it now, the head does seem elongated back.  That may be to avoid the head hitting the rails when it is rotated forward on ball launch.  Have a look at a top view - I don't think it will hit the rail.

------
Heading off topic, but have you had a close look under the playfield of your Tron to see if it is one or two disks in Tron?  You got me curious - I may have been misleading people the last few years on how the mechanism worked.  It's a great yet simple feature.  However it worked, I hope it makes a return with KISS.

Great choice in games with Tron.  I've played it overseas - it's one of my favourites.  I'm amazed that there aren't many on location; there are none in Melbourne.  That game made a killing on location in the USA - it was the start of the pinball resurgence.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 11:33:45 PM by Brunswick Brawler »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #213 on: May 16, 2015, 11:59:49 PM »
On my Godzilla machine, the balls fly out of the Godzilla head from a decent height and at speed.
It's never caused a dimple or hassle on the Playfield ever and the flying balls happen a lot.

The game is a Sega 1998/1999 title in great condition so I don't see the balls coming out of the KISS machine being a issue at all. The Stern playfields are pretty tuff. Just like the cannon launched balls on ACDC titles, haven't seen any hassles on my ACDC machine or anyone else's ACDC machine either.

Change the balls before pitting or rust sets in and I think like the Godzilla machine, 16 years later, not a hassle to be seen.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #214 on: May 17, 2015, 12:32:53 AM »
Never heard of Godzilla but AC/DC is a massively different design - cannon shots normally hit some piece of plastic/metal rather than drop straight from height to the playfield - plus they are scattered. This is why I believe the Gene head will lower/tilt (unless it can rotate/ scatter balls - but I can't see this is possible given its placement). This will be the exciting reveal in the game play video - we'll see Gene's tongue lower to p/f level & the balls rolling straight along his tongue onto the playfield (rather than a drop). Just my guess & what I'd do rather than risk a high-wear area on a highly-visible p/f area.
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline MrMaloo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock NSW
« Reply #215 on: May 17, 2015, 02:34:27 AM »
Yep definitely one disc on Tron . I remember from when I had mine stripped down to a bare playfield for a clean .

Be interesting to see how that whole disc/head set-up works on Kiss .

« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 02:37:07 AM by CruiserMan »

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #216 on: May 17, 2015, 08:09:37 AM »
morning
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Brunswick Brawler

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #217 on: May 17, 2015, 11:08:41 AM »
Yep definitely one disc on Tron . I remember from when I had mine stripped down to a bare playfield for a clean .

I surprised to see that it achieves the affect that it does.  But I'd say that Borg would be using the same thing on KISS.  It makes sense in the location they have the disk on KISS.  Given I've had so little plays on Tron due to its lack of availability here, I'm looking forward to experience that mechanism a lot more on KISS that will be on location everywhere.

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #218 on: May 17, 2015, 11:26:35 AM »

I surprised to see that it achieves the affect that it does.  But I'd say that Borg would be using the same thing on KISS.  It makes sense in the location they have the disk on KISS.  Given I've had so little plays on Tron due to its lack of availability here, I'm looking forward to experience that mechanism a lot more on KISS that will be on location everywhere.

$#$
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 11:32:25 AM by andypinboy »

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #219 on: May 17, 2015, 11:31:03 AM »

I surprised to see that it achieves the affect that it does.  But I'd say that Borg would be using the same thing on KISS.  It makes sense in the location they have the disk on KISS.  Given I've had so little plays on Tron due to its lack of availability here, I'm looking forward to experience that mechanism a lot more on KISS that will be on location everywhere.

Yep, have to say I'm actually excited to see how this works. Disk plus scoop??? Anyway, thx Swinks for today's shots - the cab may divide opinion but this p/f is awesome (has to be said, sorry if u disagree). Love the colour - modern Kiss certainly "pops". I sure hope BB is right - hope it's sited everywhere - I won't be buying but sure as hell will be giving it a good bashing & if it's a player will be getting plenty of my pocket money.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Stern announces new KISS pinball
« Reply #220 on: May 17, 2015, 11:54:20 AM »
Spinner on all 3 models :)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #221 on: May 17, 2015, 12:11:07 PM »
I love a spinner shot... one of my favourite features

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #222 on: May 17, 2015, 01:21:52 PM »
Pic of spinner on new Kiss wld be better. Btw Borg sent me a PM to discuss the red trim. I said don't worry too much, it's easily changed & powdercoat is cheap cheap.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 01:26:23 PM by andypinboy »

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Stern announces new KISS pinball
« Reply #223 on: May 17, 2015, 02:07:11 PM »
Pic of spinner on new Kiss wld be better. Btw Borg sent me a PM to discuss the red trim. I said don't worry too much, it's easily changed & powdercoat is cheap cheap.

Sarcasm? I gotta say if there's members who aren't interested in the theme for whatever reason please don't spoil this thread for others.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #224 on: May 17, 2015, 03:06:03 PM »