Author Topic: Stern announces new KISS pinball  (Read 128028 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Re: Stern announces new KISS pinball
« Reply #300 on: May 21, 2015, 09:35:10 AM »
Stern have definitely made a change with the clearcoat quality we all see in the video.

hopefully just not for the testers but consistently
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #301 on: May 21, 2015, 09:58:23 AM »
Who cares how thick the clear is
You guys are going to play this game so much you would wear out anything !!!!

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #302 on: May 21, 2015, 10:09:40 AM »

It won't worry me too much. "It is what it is" - My observation is that it looks so much better and I'm hoping all playfields are done like this. I'll most likely buy another playfield and plastics set. Extra playfield will be professionally cleared and used down the track. I'm buying my LE to play, not as an ornament, but I want it to look and play as new as possible.

Rumor is the spike sound system is cracked. So great news for those that are looking at replacing the re recorded rubbish with the original tunes.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #303 on: May 21, 2015, 10:17:03 AM »
Ahhrrg , it was a joke Nino

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #304 on: May 21, 2015, 10:21:28 AM »
Ahhrrg , it was a joke Nino

I know - The joke is on me as I will buy a spare playfield regardless if the clear is paper thin, or caked on. This is what Stern have done - hooked into the KISS fanbase. They could sell the playfield as a wall hanging and make a tidy side venture..

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #305 on: May 21, 2015, 10:25:08 AM »
I wonder if they will sell the GS head, ?

To easy to misuse

Offline andypinboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #306 on: May 21, 2015, 11:20:59 AM »
The clear on the test pinball that we have all seen in the Stern videos is definitely much better than recent efforts.

TWD LE in my showroom has had 100 plays. It has that many craters, it looks like the surface of the moon. In fact, Greg ordered a second playfield for the game to have clearcoated properly. This was a constant issue he had with the quality of the clearcoat on all late model sterns. Almost half his LE's have spare playfields for exactly the same reason. Stern have definitely made a change with the clearcoat quality we all see in the video.

I know there's a bit of mucking around about this (& I'm the 1st to love a joke) but it is important. The diamond-plate on the Williams games is still being polished to this day - if they were huo & cared for they look almost new after 20-odd years. Even if hammered on route they often look decent. I've seen an ac/dc machine badly dimpled after 100 games. I'm buying a Kiss (with sentiments like spacejam - big ac/dc fan but this is the machine that i have to have) - as a bnib buyer I want the p/f to last. My guess is so do most buyers - or at least they will if they end up selling in a few years. I like the look of this clearcoat - I hope it is thick & cures rock-hard.
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #307 on: May 21, 2015, 11:36:42 AM »
Pretty underwhelming, couple of cool ramp shots but that looks like it. Will have to wait and see what it is really like if and when the code gets done.
Is Gene a dribbler or a spitter, the ball on multiball just dribbles out of his mouth. Maybe that is the way he likes it?
 !@#

%.% CowCorner this is like an 8 out of 10 review for you. Btw I can see how your Jaws idea would work - especially once when you added in the barrels etc  :lol  The blood is there already, but you'd have to tweak the rest of the p/f art.
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #308 on: May 21, 2015, 11:42:41 AM »
Pretty underwhelming, couple of cool ramp shots but that looks like it. Will have to wait and see what it is really like if and when the code gets done.
Is Gene a dribbler or a spitter, the ball on multiball just dribbles out of his mouth. Maybe that is the way he likes it?
 !@#

%.% CowCorner this is like an 8 out of 10 review for you. Btw I can see how your Jaws idea would work - especially once when you added in the barrels etc  :lol  The blood is there already, but you'd have to tweak the rest of the p/f art.

I am interested to see the disc in action, the call outs and the dots when they are done.
I will give it a 10/10 review for sure when the code is completed in...........................................
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Toads

• Forum Posts:
  • Shepparton Vic
« Reply #309 on: May 21, 2015, 03:45:02 PM »

It won't worry me too much. "It is what it is" - My observation is that it looks so much better and I'm hoping all playfields are done like this. I'll most likely buy another playfield and plastics set. Extra playfield will be professionally cleared and used down the track. I'm buying my LE to play, not as an ornament, but I want it to look and play as new as possible.

Rumor is the spike sound system is cracked. So great news for those that are looking at replacing the re recorded rubbish with the original tunes.

Where are you going to get a spare LE playfield from?

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #310 on: May 21, 2015, 07:31:01 PM »

Stern - Greg bought extra playfields for all his NIB Sterns - Spiderman and Ironman are at Platinum Pinball being cleared. He was in the process of buying a TWD LE playfield before he passed away.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 07:58:20 PM by Strangeways »

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #311 on: May 21, 2015, 07:48:45 PM »

in this case a LE should be the same as a Premium playfield. Stern always make extra playfields and have a stash for a period. I have a brand new IM playfield stashed for one day when I get a IM again. AMD can get them in so just ask the question with them.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #312 on: May 21, 2015, 08:20:55 PM »
Best time to negotiate and buy a BNIB spare playfield is when you order your BNIB game. Plus any spare parts or plastics, translites etc you want.
I always buy a signed Translite for every game and put in the signed one.

Dorothy for Stern USA who handles all those orders is a dream. You then co-ordinate her to speak with AMD after you have established stock availability. Been dealing with Dorothy for years and she is such a great person. Efficient friendly and professional.
Spare playfields are rarely needed in real life but a great insurance policy to have for resale.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 08:23:44 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Toads

• Forum Posts:
  • Shepparton Vic
« Reply #313 on: May 21, 2015, 09:51:46 PM »

in this case a LE should be the same as a Premium playfield. Stern always make extra playfields and have a stash for a period. I have a brand new IM playfield stashed for one day when I get a IM again. AMD can get them in so just ask the question with them.

I didn't know you could do this, thanks.
The LE playfield has John Borg's signature on it.

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #314 on: May 21, 2015, 10:07:34 PM »
Quote from: Toads link=topic=137 %.%57.msg175915#msg175915 date=1432205506

I didn't know you could do this, thanks.
The LE playfield has John Borg's signature on it.

It'll wear off quick with the Novus