Author Topic: Stern announces new KISS pinball  (Read 128031 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Stern announces new KISS pinball
« Reply #420 on: May 29, 2015, 10:58:43 AM »
Effing awesome !

Loving the animations other than I'd like to see the font of the KISS logo set as original - ie - "KISS Combo". As soon as a ColorDMD is done if this game =  $#$

Really like the gameplay and flow - I know it is early, but I just can't wait to play it !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Stern announces new KISS pinball
« Reply #421 on: May 29, 2015, 04:03:26 PM »
First pictures of the LE metallic side artwork  :) looks awesome

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Brunswick Brawler

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #423 on: May 29, 2015, 08:36:16 PM »
I good idea for a mod for the LE would be to run a strip of small LED lights across the bottom edges of the cabinet and backbox, such that it lights up the sides (kind of like a stumpy LED strip cabinet wings).  It would reflect nicely on the metallic paint.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #424 on: May 29, 2015, 08:43:24 PM »
stern kiss mods
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #425 on: May 29, 2015, 09:42:24 PM »
Cool flyer thanks for posting :) I've ordered a topper it's so cool but I didn't know the inside panel artwork was around :) I might have to order those to a least they won't get scratched :)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #426 on: May 29, 2015, 09:50:46 PM »
Cool flyer thanks for posting :) I've ordered a topper it's so cool but I didn't know the inside panel artwork was around :) I might have to order those to a least they won't get scratched :)

you will still have to be careful as had side decals on the congo and were scratched in sections so removed them as well as a little bit of paint on the sides ....
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 09:55:24 PM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #427 on: May 30, 2015, 12:19:37 AM »
My favourite was always Ace Frehly.
What a cool name and his lead guitar work, espescially in "I was made for Loving You" was great.

Also, he must have been someone's favourite who was involved in the Sci-Fi show Stargate Atlantis because one of the Wraith Generals, known as "Todd" has the same distinctive Ace facial tattoo. For those who know the show and are
Sci-fi fans, you will know what I am talking about.

The Ace artwork on the KISS machine is looking dam fine.
Can't wait to see more. Stern is on fire with this one.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 01:01:59 AM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #428 on: May 30, 2015, 11:24:11 AM »
It never ceases to amaze me how much of the original bands influence has crossed so many other formats. Ace is my favorite. His best work was done in the mid to late 70's. His solo album in 1978 is one of the best records I've ever heard. His guitar work on the iconic "Alive !" album in 1975 is legendary. So much so, that hundreds of guitarists were influenced. There was a gap between Hendrix and Van Halen, and Ace was the man who filled it. Ace was fingertapping years before Van Halen. Pearl Jam to Garth Brooks, Lenny Kravitz to Immortal, Taylor Swift to Anthrax. Ace himself was the reason many picked up the guitar - Dimebag Darrell, John 5, Slash, Mike Mcready, Scott Ian, Dave Ghrol and Tom Morello. Most of the 80's Metal scene AND early Grunge points back to Early KISS.

Inducted into the "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" last year. The RARHOF did everything they could to keep KISS out of the RARHOF, until the vote went public. In the first year the vote went public, KISS received the most votes (ahead of another band they influenced - Nirvana).

for those that don't understand the band or it's influence - watch this video that sums up the band as many remember them when they were the biggest band on the planet ;

"Critics be damned"

Favorite quote from Ace ;

Tom Snyder - "You are kinda like a Space Man ?"
Ace Frehley - "No, actually I'm a plumber..."

How is this related to the KISS pinball ? The INFLUENCE of KISS on "normal" people that become abnormal "KISS fans". To but it bluntly, I bought this game because it has ACE on it. If it was not Ace, I would not have even considered it. The music is 80% from the classic lineup.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #429 on: May 30, 2015, 11:37:15 AM »
There's a pro being air freighted to Sydney by an operator and will arrive in 9 days :) a top Aussie player is going to do a video and review :) can't wait to see and hear there thoughts. A pinside guy played one at Stern see his review below:

Quick review:
Shots
The ramps were smooth as silk. They can both be hit from both flippers. The right ramp is tight (not Avengers tight, but tight enough). The Starman shot is tight as well, but very satisfying. It does not slow down the game as the ball does not spend a lot of time in there. Combos were not easy, but very make-able. The game flowed really well. In my first game, I hit 39 combos (and was proud to put my name on Stern's game as the Combo Champ). The shot through the pops is great and I was able to hit it two or three times in a row. There are no breaks in this game. It felt a little like an AC/DC Pro in that way - Quick and smooth, but not easy.
Art
The game is a stunner. You have all seen the pictures, but photos do not do it justice. The backglass fits perfectly with the theme and may be the nicest one Stern has ever made. It looks like something I would have tried to win at the carnival in 1979 as the top prize. The cabinet is HD and the playfield is bright, but nothing is a distraction. It all comes together beautifully.
Lighting
It is really too early to pass judgement here because many of the lighting effects have not been coded into the game. There are more color changing LED's in this game than I have ever seen in a pro. Even the pops are color changers.
Music
First thing I noticed was that this is not the "normal" Stern sound system. I could not turn it up, but the music was bright and clear. It had a little extra "oomph" coming from the low end as well.
Overall, I really think this game can be a huge winner for Stern. We all know that it will come down to code. I was still on version .54, but I couild see where it was going and can't wait to play this game again.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #430 on: May 30, 2015, 02:54:17 PM »
Sterns Facebook page sites are worth looking at.
Multiple stuff being loaded daily.

Stern are using social media very well and are answering all questions and are being very open whether it's a pat on the back or a criticism. Maybe they have someone new who is devoted to social media cause it is paying off for them.
George Gomez is answering questions on facebook a lot, as is Borgy and sometimes Steve R.
Pretty cool when these cool guys answer your questions within minutes or live. Don't get better than that !

Did anyone else know Sci Fi has been using the Ace Frehly face tattoo,s on Stargate ?

Wonder what chrome around the Headbox and chrome side rails n lockdown bar and hinges would look like on a Kiss Pro ? Might fit the 70,s feel of the translite, add mirror blades and u have a chrome shinning beauty with chrome legs as well. I reckon chrome everywhere will make the Pro pop bigtime.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 03:02:46 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #431 on: May 30, 2015, 03:34:02 PM »
There's a pro being air freighted to Sydney by an operator and will arrive in 9 days :) a top Aussie player is going to do a video and review :) can't wait to see and hear there thoughts. A pinside guy played one at Stern see his review below:

Quick review:
Shots
The ramps were smooth as silk. They can both be hit from both flippers. The right ramp is tight (not Avengers tight, but tight enough). The Starman shot is tight as well, but very satisfying. It does not slow down the game as the ball does not spend a lot of time in there. Combos were not easy, but very make-able. The game flowed really well. In my first game, I hit 39 combos (and was proud to put my name on Stern's game as the Combo Champ). The shot through the pops is great and I was able to hit it two or three times in a row. There are no breaks in this game. It felt a little like an AC/DC Pro in that way - Quick and smooth, but not easy.
Art
The game is a stunner. You have all seen the pictures, but photos do not do it justice. The backglass fits perfectly with the theme and may be the nicest one Stern has ever made. It looks like something I would have tried to win at the carnival in 1979 as the top prize. The cabinet is HD and the playfield is bright, but nothing is a distraction. It all comes together beautifully.
Lighting
It is really too early to pass judgement here because many of the lighting effects have not been coded into the game. There are more color changing LED's in this game than I have ever seen in a pro. Even the pops are color changers.
Music
First thing I noticed was that this is not the "normal" Stern sound system. I could not turn it up, but the music was bright and clear. It had a little extra "oomph" coming from the low end as well.
Overall, I really think this game can be a huge winner for Stern. We all know that it will come down to code. I was still on version .54, but I couild see where it was going and can't wait to play this game again.

This is a great start. I stand by my thinking that this will be the best game Stern has ever released (& perhaps ever will). Very glad to hear about the ramp shots, the other shots, & from this review & what we saw in the vids the flow is certainly looking like a winner. Code will of course matter but if already satisfying then all should be good.
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #432 on: May 30, 2015, 03:39:31 PM »
Looks like the fans will be happy, not much there if your not a fan of the band though.
It's a easy pass for me.
Wonder what the next Stern title will be and will there be another price rise?
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #433 on: May 30, 2015, 05:04:44 PM »

Quick review:
Shots
Art
Lighting
Music

This is a great start. I stand by my thinking that this will be the best game Stern has ever released (& perhaps ever will). Very glad to hear about the ramp shots, the other shots, & from this review & what we saw in the vids the flow is certainly looking like a winner. Code will of course matter but if already satisfying then all should be good.

Codes always slow with stern probably because they release 3 games a year :) I'm hoping with the spike system code may be quicker but I'm certainly no expert but in the end they end up a fun well coded game look how good TWD is now but you need to be patient.

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #434 on: May 30, 2015, 05:15:49 PM »
Looks like the fans will be happy, not much there if your not a fan of the band though.
It's a easy pass for me.
Wonder what the next Stern title will be and will there be another price rise?

Hey Cow Corner. What don't you like about the game with what we've seen so far?