Author Topic: Stern announces new KISS pinball  (Read 128029 times)

Offline Cow Corner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Re: Stern announces new KISS pinball
« Reply #435 on: May 30, 2015, 05:19:58 PM »
It's KISS, theme sucks the big one imo.
Other than that it just looks meh...not a lot to get excited about for me....dots do look good though.  
But at the end of the day it is just another over-priced and under-done Stern.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #436 on: May 30, 2015, 08:14:37 PM »
Why is the coding always so under done? Is it that complicated and time consuming or does stern need more programmers or what? Stern seem to not have too much trouble getting games out so I'm thinking lots of engineers and not many programmers. Please enlighten me.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Stern announces new KISS pinball
« Reply #437 on: May 30, 2015, 09:00:45 PM »
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 09:46:41 PM by GORGAR 1 »

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #438 on: May 30, 2015, 10:00:23 PM »
Funny, everyone keeps talking about the music!
Why wouldn't you just play their music on something better than a pinball machine and play a pinball machine that isn't KISS related? Something that doesn't look like a technicolor yawn!  !*! I will get flack for that.
Looks like a bit of fun to be had and I'm sure the ARMY will be stoked.
Although like AC/DC and Metallica it pisses me off hearing part songs all the time.
Pinball for pinball and music for a jukebox  %$%
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 10:01:55 PM by oldskool1969 »
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #439 on: May 31, 2015, 12:12:12 AM »
The mode where u can play music when not playing a game on the ACDC Pinny now turns it into a jukebox. The audio even on the Pro is as good as any decent stereo and it can be cranked up real loud.
I play songs on my ACDC all the time when not playing a game. A lot of fun and the DMD cycles thru its various annimations and everything is flashing n lit etc. Very cool.

I imagine the Metallica and Kiss pinnys do/will have the same.

All these new pinnys look better in person colour wise compared to photos n videos etc.
I am like Nino, dying to see one in the flesh.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #440 on: May 31, 2015, 04:33:29 AM »
Why is the coding always so under done? Is it that complicated and time consuming or does stern need more programmers or what? Stern seem to not have too much trouble getting games out so I'm thinking lots of engineers and not many programmers. Please enlighten me.

because they can
it is easy for the buyer to update the code, so there is no reason for stern to get the software finished before the game ships

coding cost money
I have notice that each time a game goes back into production, new coding is done
therefore , the more popular a game is, the better the software will be

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #441 on: May 31, 2015, 11:13:14 AM »
WOW ! - Stern are delusional if they think anyone would pay these prices ;

U.S. Domestic Retail Pricing:

KISS pinball topper - $399.99
KISS pinball inside art blades - $79.99
KISS  pinball shooter knobs and rod -$79.99
Kiss pinball armor kit: - $499.99

All of the above - Should be included with the LE.

Absolute daylight robbery. Thank God KISS will be my first and last NIB purchase from Stern.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline RottyGuy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
  • QLD
« Reply #442 on: May 31, 2015, 12:31:53 PM »
Why wouldn't you just play their music on something better than a pinball machine and play a pinball machine that isn't KISS related? Something that doesn't look like a technicolor yawn!  !*! I will get flack for that.

No flack from me. IMHO the cab art is one of the worst Stern have released. You'd have to be a KISS fan to think otherwise. The original KISS games can get away with the over sized heads, but the colours on this release looks incredibly tacky.

As for the playfield and BG, I think they've done a great job. Far too early to judge the gameplay based on the video that has been released. No doubt it's a winner for KISS fans, but the cabinet makes it a big no for me.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Stern announces new KISS pinball
« Reply #443 on: May 31, 2015, 01:28:32 PM »
What have been nice to have band signatures on the PF's lol like this lucky dude :)

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Re: Re: Stern announces new KISS pinball
« Reply #444 on: May 31, 2015, 01:36:29 PM »

No flack from me. IMHO the cab art is one of the worst Stern have released. You'd have to be a KISS fan to think otherwise. The original KISS games can get away with the over sized heads, but the colours on this release looks incredibly tacky.

As for the playfield and BG, I think they've done a great job. Far too early to judge the gameplay based on the video that has been released. No doubt it's a winner for KISS fans, but the cabinet makes it a big no for me.
Agree 100% cab art is ordinary..that said, i am not a fan of the band and can't get over the fact they are adults prancing around in makeup. However pf looks amazing and shots look quite good.

Nino, i dont think stern are delusional, they are taking the opportunity as people will buy this stuff for a range of reasons from they like it and think it looks great through to they have to have the best of everything....all of which i have no issue with, just i personally  wouldn't shell the cash for the extras.  There are a few people who have already indicated they have ordered some of the extras, so probably a smart business move from stern.

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #445 on: May 31, 2015, 01:59:44 PM »

Agree 100% cab art is ordinary..that said, i am not a fan of the band and can't get over the fact they are adults prancing around in makeup. However pf looks amazing and shots look quite good.

Nino, i dont think stern are delusional, they are taking the opportunity as people will buy this stuff for a range of reasons from they like it and think it looks great through to they have to have the best of everything....all of which i have no issue with, just i personally  wouldn't shell the cash for the extras.  There are a few people who have already indicated they have ordered some of the extras, so probably a smart business move from stern.

Playfield art is definitely better than the cab. Re the extras I think it's a mistake by Stern - it trades off brand loyalty for a short-term cash grab. If I was buying the LE it would piss me off - it's like buying a 7 series BMW with every option, drive it off the lot, & the next week BMW sends me a pamphlet on new alloys as the top of the line ones I bought this week aren't cool enough. Dumb & greedy move.
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline tonyt

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #446 on: May 31, 2015, 02:05:01 PM »
I wonder how much of the pricing is due to the royalties that they have to pay the band on these extras? I understand they are VERY ruthless when it comes to doing deals.

Offline MrMaloo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock NSW
« Reply #447 on: May 31, 2015, 03:13:06 PM »
They could have included the extras with the LE's ....

but...

you would have ended up paying the same price anyway as Stern would've bumped the price up to accommodate . Would you guys who ordered LE's been happy to have all the extras but have a $12500 or $13000 price tag ?

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #448 on: May 31, 2015, 04:36:49 PM »

but...

you would have ended up paying the same price anyway as Stern would've bumped the price up to accommodate . Would you guys who ordered LE's been happy to have all the extras but have a $12500 or $13000 price tag ?
my guess is no and in that case it is best to be an option so an owner can decide to buy or not the extras
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #449 on: May 31, 2015, 06:21:42 PM »

Nino, i dont think stern are delusional, they are taking the opportunity as people will buy this stuff for a range of reasons from they like it and think it looks great through to they have to have the best of everything....all of which i have no issue with, just i personally  wouldn't shell the cash for the extras.  There are a few people who have already indicated they have ordered some of the extras, so probably a smart business move from stern.

I concur it is a business decision - and we all know Stern are doing this to make money. It is not JUST this title. I'm not at all pleased with the idea that Stern have to shut down the modders BECAUSE they are not making money out of them. In context, I don't really like mods, but I like the creativity of modders who are in most cases adding mods that should have been part of the game to start with. It is greed. Nothing more, nothing less. Usually, I keep my opinion to myself, but I bought an LE SOLELY because the art package is based on the original line up - well it is a 90% "originals" pinball. So if I see or hear something I don't like, I can be viewed as being "over reactive" - But everyone knows I have a pinball addiction, and the original line up of KISS is my favorite band of all time. I REALLY like TWD LE and even after I gave it a 9/10 I was still criticized. I ALMOST bought a TWD LE - I was very close. So I'm going to be "vocal", and when I see something that is a blatant "cash grab" to slam modders and rip off KISS fans - I'm going to say it. Suffice to say, now I fully appreciate the Stern LE buyer's point about an "LE" not really being an "LE" until Stern release "extras" and "options" that are supposed to be part of the LE to begin with.

KISS fans buy ANYTHING and are cashed up. Certainly, I will be PROMOTING the hell out of this title when it is released - but I would not dare to mention the "extras" and "options". Considering all the LEs are gone, it is a GREAT idea for PRO buyers - but the point still is that the prices on the options are robbery !

It is an insult to LE buyers, but an expensive option to PRO buyers that want to bling their games up to the LE level - ie - make their games unique.

Stern are delusional from the point of view that I'm a first time NIB EXCITED LE buyer. I'm sure I'm going to be bias and love the game - BUT - I'll never buy another NIB Stern - especially an LE - because with Stern, it is an "LE" until the "options" and "extras" are released.

I love everything about the game so far, but I'm not at all impressed with the way they price their "extras". Throw them in the goody bag for the LE buyers and offer the topper for 1/2 price.

but...

So there is $2000 worth of value for an LE ?

Mirrored Backglass - $250
Gary Stern signed plaque - $ ? 30 seconds of his time on a piece of cardboard.
Shiney silver decals - $250 - how much more will they cost to print ?
Leftover Trim from Luci - $0 = LE buyers are doing Stern the favor !

I struggle to find $500 worth of value, and Stern want an extra $2000. Makes me look stupid, but I wanted the LE, because it is an "LE". If costs then stuff all extra to add the extras to an LE.

Like I said, I wanted an LE because it was a Limited run. Buy there's no way it is worth $1500 more than a Premium. Throw the extras in the LE - how bloody hard is that ? Add some REAL value and stir up more potential sales..

I'm pumped - I can't wait for mine to arrive. I'm not buying the "extras" etc, but I'm sure as hell going to LOVE unboxing my game - and I have a few KISS fans that will be playing mine before they decide to buy a Pro or Premium. I intend on leaving my game in the showroom for 2-3 weeks so people can play the game and hopefully buy one.

I'm not Stern bashing, but they make so many dumb decisions that it is not hard to be critical.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia