Author Topic: WMS 10 opto PCB *NOW AVAILABLE* finished - kit in about a week  (Read 556 times)

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
WMS 10 opto PCB *NOW AVAILABLE* finished - kit in about a week
« on: October 17, 2011, 08:58:59 PM »
Finally the 10 opto board is ready for sale. The kit version will be available in about a week as we are still waiting for a few parts to enable the kits to be assembled (pun intended).

The reason this board came about in the first place was because the board in my Dracula started giving problems and I traced it to a leaking electro cap that had chewed through some PCB tracks and a faulty LM339 chip. The board itself was very cooked as the 2W resistors are mounted hard down on the board and there are VERY VERY fine tracks running under these resistors. Also the connectors had aquired some sort of tarnish and simply wouldn't resolder well no matter what I tried.

Here is the old board VS the brand spankin' 2011 version:

I allowed many more vent holes in the board to allow more air to flow:

Also the 270ohm resistors are upgraded to 3W and spaced from the board on brass spacers:

All tracks are beefed up, all pads have been made larger and the IC's are fitted to turned pin IC sockets. This means any future repair that might be needed to this board will be very easy. Made using through hole parts - no, difficult to repair, surface mount parts.

Here is the first board assembled:

And tested on the jig I built for this purpose:

Assembled boards will be available in a day or so and kits in about a week. Watch the website for availability. Price is yet to be determined but they certainly will be cheaper than alternatives available from overseas.

Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
What other games are these used in Mike?
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
wow that is extremely clever, nice work champ

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
What other games are these used in Mike?

replacement for A-15430 and A-20246 (PCB # 5768-13194-00, 5768-13194-01 and 5768-14075-00).

Bram Stoker Dracula
Dr. Who
Indiana Jones
Pinball Circus
Popeye
Cactus Canyon
Corvette
Monster Bash
Medival Madness
Revenge From Mars
SafeCracker
Star Wars Eposode 1 (Pinball 2000)
Shadow
World Cup Soccer

Note the additional width of the PCB that can be snapped off or used as required for the applicable game.

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Cool, I am almost tempted to say I wouldn't mind owning a Popeye so that I could put a replacement board into it...

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
OK - web site updated and both finished boards and kits now in stock:

http://www.homepin.com/10opto.html

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Great work again mate  ^^^

Offline pulstar

• Forum Posts:
Looks great Mike!  You must put in a Lot of time making all these replacement PCB's.

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
Looks great Mike!  You must put in a Lot of time making all these replacement PCB's.

Sure do - and then there's the dosh - - -  ^&^ Don't tell my missus - but on this board alone - at a price of $50 each for the kit (and there is a very slim margin in that) - times 100 pcs minimum order for PCBs and (in most cases) minimum of 500pcs for other parts that makes over $5K.…... then I pay someone to assemble 50%....let's stop that conversation right here.... <.>

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Awesome looking board, well done.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Great work!

Offline vinito

• Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
The brass tube spacer looks like a good idea. But it caused me to wonder if there were any possibility of vibration (from speakers or whatever) making things rattle enough to cause any kind of electrical interference. I don't know whether it would be a rare or common issue or maybe even constant rattling spacers wouldn't make anything go screwy. I'm not shmart enough to know either way, just dumb enough with previous experience to ask in case it might.

Good job on the boards.
I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
The brass tube spacer looks like a good idea. But it caused me to wonder if there were any possibility of vibration (from speakers or whatever) making things rattle enough to cause any kind of electrical interference. I don't know whether it would be a rare or common issue or maybe even constant rattling spacers wouldn't make anything go screwy. I'm not shmart enough to know either way, just dumb enough with previous experience to ask in case it might.

Good job on the boards.

It is an interesting question and has some merit. Metal to metal in model aircraft and cars causes serious radio interference and is a no-no.

Whether there would be enough regular movement of the spacers in a pinball to create EMI is another matter? In any case, any electrical noise that 'might' be generated can't really do much - except perhaps upset your AM radio  @@*

The board has been running fine in my BSD for nearly a week now and has worked flawlessly - I haven't noticed any side effects???

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
The proto board installed in my BSD - have played dozens of games over a few days with flawless performance. This BSD now has my 10 opto board, the 24" long opto board, 2 x flipper actuator boards and the high voltage add on board fitted.…....the BSD is half made by me  %.% %.%

Offline Skybeaux

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Central Coast / Newcastle
Nice work Mike , the board looks great ^^^ , I hope you sell heaps of them