Author Topic: Hello Aussie Pinball  (Read 1370 times)

Offline noj472

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat, Victoria
Hello Aussie Pinball
« on: December 27, 2012, 02:59:48 PM »
Hi Everyone at Aussie Pinball.

Just wanted to do a little introduction. My name is Anthony and I live in Ballarat but grew up in Geelong, Victoria. I used to play a few pinballs back in the good old days (late 80's early 90's) when I used to waste my pocket money and first jobs pay on some brilliant machines. The Corio bowling lanes used to house TMNT and Mousin' Around and Las Vegas in Ryrie St Geelong used to house Terminator 2 and Addams Family. I think it is time I bought myself a pinball for my man cave...... and yes my wife has given me the go ahead as long as I use my own slush fund. Probably just a little nervous on where to buy it from. Any suggestions or warnings would be greatly appreciated.  I love surfing this forum as it is a encylopedia of information.

P.S . I've just scrolled through el timbo's restoration of the Addam's Family Pinball and all I can say is OMG!! ^^^  I want it.

Thanks for creating and adding to such a great forum @@*

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Re: Hello Aussie Pinball
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 03:53:12 PM »
Welcome

Offline andtan

• Forum Posts:
  • Canberra, ACT
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 03:58:19 PM »
Howdy Anthony,

Once you decide what pin you're after, there are many on here that can tell you what to look out for, and what sort of price range you should be looking at. Don't be in too big a rush to grab the first one you see, as it is always better to take your time.

When you hit 20 posts you will be able to access the Pinball Trader section. Members often put up pins for sale there, and you will find that the ones that do go up are good quality examples.

Let the hunt begin! $#$ $#$

Andy
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 05:08:00 PM by andtan »

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 04:09:50 PM »
Welcome Anthony. Best bet (especially for your 1st pin) would be to buy one from a collector/hobbyist and good luck with the hunt .
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 04:19:01 PM »
Welcome Anthony. Best bet (especially for your 1st pin) would be to buy one from a collector/hobbyist and good luck with the hunt .

Good advice!!

Dealers are good to go and look and play lots of different machines, but leave your wallet and good car at home.

Have a look at the way dealers clean and repair machines then look at another collectors game.

One does very little to maximize profit and the other will do everything for love of the game.

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 04:46:46 PM »
 %)% Good luck with your search

Offline noj472

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat, Victoria
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 05:08:02 PM »
Thanks for the welcomes and advice.

Just to help narrow it down a little.......I probably have a budget of absolute max $3000 and don't expect something mint but something that is in neat condition and everything works. Oh yeah I'm after a solid state.

Pinballs that I have played before or like the gameplay and table layout thanks to pinball roms. (not in order of preference or anything like that) here's just to name a few:

1. TMNT
2. Mousin Around (haven't seen one for a long long long time)
3. Ripley's B.o.N.
4. South Park
5. Austin Powers
6. Elvis
7. Family Guy
8. Dirty Harry
9. Police Force
10. Indy 500
11. Playboy(2002)
12. Terminator 2
13. Back to the Future

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 05:26:37 PM »

Good advice!!

Dealers are good to go and look and play lots of different machines, but leave your wallet and good car at home.

Have a look at the way dealers clean and repair machines then look at another collectors game.

One does very little to maximize profit and the other will do everything for love of the game.

*%*

Good call Marty  %.%

$.$ Anthony and  %)% to AP.

Take your time and ask as many questions as you like. Advice is free on the forum.

There have been a couple of Mousin' Around pins sold in recent times. TMNT would be easy to find and be well within your budget.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 05:28:41 PM »
TMNT is one of my favourite games and a keeper for me.
TMNT is a really fun game, and there are a few around BUT you have to be careful because they have a original backglass instead of a translite so make sure that is in good condition, and the rear ramp area on most TMNT is worn badly, and u can see how much work the machine has done by looking at the spinning pizza graphic. (u can buy new pizza graphics to make the machine look newer anyway from ebay etc.

Overall, u want to look for a TMNT which has a nice playfield, a nice backglass and a nice cabinet. Expect to pay $2500 or a little more for a very very nice example. Hard to come by, very very good ones.

Pay maybe $1800 upwards for one which is a little rough here n there. Collectors keep real nice examples of TMNT.   Ninja NInja. Hope it helps.
Really really shop around.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 05:30:21 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 06:23:44 PM »
For $3000 you will get a great game
it seems that you are wanting something from the late 80's to early 90's, this makes it easier to advise you

you have missed on a nice 'Space Station' that was available localy 2 months ago, it just needed the flippers rebuilt

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 07:57:48 PM »
Welcome aboard.
    As already mentioned take your time and ask as many questions as u need plenty of help here.   

Offline noj472

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat, Victoria
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 08:45:52 PM »
Definitely will take my time......thanks very much.

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 09:40:05 PM »
Just to help narrow it down a little.......I probably have a budget of absolute max $3000 and don't expect something mint but something that is in neat condition and everything works. Oh yeah I'm after a solid state.

Pinballs that I have played before or like the gameplay and table layout thanks to pinball roms. (not in order of preference or anything like that) here's just to name a few:

1. TMNT - Yes within budget
2. Mousin Around ) -Yes
3. Ripley's B.o.N.- a bit over your max budget say 3300
4. South Park - yes within budget
5. Austin Powers - a bit over around 3300
6. Elvis - over at close to 4000
7. Family Guy - 4000 and over usually around 4500 (only 700 made and allegedly only a dozen or so came to Australia)
8. Dirty Harry - yes within budget
9. Police Force - yes within
10. Indy 500 - yes within
11. Playboy(2002) - yes, but maybe a bit over for a nice one say low to mid 3k range
12. Terminator 2 - yes, but the prices on these have gone a bit crazy lately - expect close to $3k
13. Back to the Future - yes within

Welcome.

I have added a quick price guide so you know what fits into your budget and what is unlikely to. These prices are based on private sales for a machine in very good to excellent condition (and of course 100% working). If you choose to purchase from a dealer then expect for the prices given to be higher.

Offline noj472

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat, Victoria
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 09:50:08 PM »
They are all actually affordable except Elvis and Family Guy.....that's very helpful, thank-you.
I've been keeping my eye on ebay and they seem to sell for way more than quoted. I guess alot of buyers on the bay aren't doing there homework.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 01:46:38 AM »
G'day Anthony, welcome to Aussie Pinball!!

Gezz, that mention of Las Vegas brought back some memories (mostly of how much coin I dropped there!)

Good to see there are lots of games within your budget in that list, best of luck with the search.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”