Author Topic: Backglass/Crane help on JD  (Read 216 times)

Offline TSPP

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Backglass/Crane help on JD
« on: November 20, 2009, 03:26:10 PM »
After just purchasing my second pin i realise i am going to need you guys more and more (and possibly a degree in pinballology??). My first was obviously TSPP and in A1 condition. Not needing any work or maintenance.

MY second pin, JD, is a whole new ball game. Poblems a plenty. And this is where you come in  <.> Currently my backglass doesn't light up. The bulbs all work but it's not on or illuminating duing game play nor during any of the modes? Can someone point me in the right direction as to what to look for please to fix.

And my crane is also not dropping the balls onto the playfield correctly. They are getting stuck when dropped into the deadworld. How do i adjust this to make sure it drops into that space its supposed to.

Thanx

.....something witty here

Offline TSPP

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Backglass/Crane help on JD
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 02:48:14 PM »
Ok, so i found out that i had a burnt out connector pin on one of the main boards. This looks easy enough to change over.

Do i need to worry about the pins?? Will they need replacing as well, if so how do i do this?

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 05:15:54 PM »
Can you post a photo of the pins & connector.  It depends on how badly burnt both are.

To replace the header pins is not hard, but can damage the PCB if not careful.

Offline TSPP

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 08:06:31 PM »
hey marty, thanx for the reply. photos are here for you http://s291.photobucket.com/albums/ll311/xxjardinexx/ , couldn't post em here as they were to big. anyhow....connector is gone as you can see. do i pick these up from jaycar?? mark.c.?? as for the pins, let me know. they actually look ok? what do you think?

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 08:20:18 PM »
Header pins look OK to me.  But visually inspecting doesn't do the trick.

If you have a DMM I would suggest checking continuity from the pins to the track.  I would also check for dry joints too.

As for the plug, I would recommend getting the 0.156" molex type plug and cut it down to size and you'll need the Trifurcon Crimp Terminals as well.  Its easiest with the correct crimp tool.  Don't forget to get a peg/spacer for your plug to stop any misplacing in the future.

Both RTBB and Mark sell both.

The plug doesn't look all that bad.  I've seen and had much worse myself...Always best to replace if in doubt.

Offline TSPP

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 09:04:29 PM »
hope you a patient man marty  <.>

Header pins look OK to me.  But visually inspecting doesn't do the trick.

If you have a DMM I would suggest checking continuity from the pins to the track.  I would also check for dry joints too.

!@# i have a DMM but how do i check for continuity

As for the plug, I would recommend getting the 0.156" molex type plug and cut it down to size and you'll need the Trifurcon Crimp Terminals as well.  Its easiest with the correct crimp tool.  Don't forget to get a peg/spacer for your plug to stop any misplacing in the future.

!@# sorry did i forget to mention  !@#   :lol :lol any way you can dumb it down for me, sorry lost in translation. The plug is obvious, the terminals and peg spacers??? and how do actually do it, i'm lost

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 09:19:28 PM »
Hopefully your DMM has continuity.  If you can post a pic would be easier.  Its also known as buzz...(makes a buzzing noise when both leads touched together..

Have a read of the thread I did for the coin door replacements.  Should give you an idea of how the plugs go together.

http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=2295.0

Whereabouts are you located?

Offline TSPP

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 09:39:47 PM »
ok....i think i can follow that, thanx marty. will have to check out my dmm to see about this continuity thing. As for the peg spacer...where is this positioned? didn't show on your thread.