Author Topic: Stern Magic Playfield - What to do?  (Read 180 times)

Offline tnpshow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Stern Magic Playfield - What to do?
« on: September 10, 2010, 11:34:25 PM »
Hey guys, long time no post.

I picked up a VERY rough Magic a while back and have been collecting parts for it ever since. The playfield was totally shot and way beyond saving.

I managed to find another, but while it's lightyears better, it's still far from perfect.

Fist of all, it was warped badly. I managed to straighten it clamped down in a jig for a few months, and it's not too bad now.

Second, there's some serious wear around the rollover above the flippers - back to bare wood in a large patch.

There's also large areas of hideous cracking and ball swirls.

My question is - what do I do with it? Touch ups would be a massive job.

Scan & Overlay? Big job, but probably the best option yet...

I'd love to re-theme it - I have a theme in mind of the same era, but this would be a massive undertaking...

Thanks in advance!!!

The pics are here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tnpshow/sets/72157624923469146/

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Stern Magic Playfield - What to do?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 11:42:36 PM »

That would be a difficult playfield to restore. I don't think it is impossible, but it would need someone with a fair amount of experience to attempt.

I'd keep my options open and hope that a NOS playfield, or one in better condition eventuates.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline faza

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 11:48:18 PM »
Ive also got a stern magic but the wear is not as bad as yours , the problem with trying to attempt to touch it up is that there is a lot of artwork not just solid colours , ive just learnt to live with it .

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 12:35:34 AM »
Maybe you could make an overlay of just the bad section until a better playfield can be found.  I think mr pinbologist has used this method in one of his restores have a search through them.
  If his threads can't give you any ideas no one can.  Good luck hope you can sort something out

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 01:51:04 AM »

I'd keep my options open and hope that a NOS playfield, or one in better condition eventuates.

That's what I'd be doing.  The game isn't desirable enough to warrant huge amounts of time and money on.

Whats the backglass like?.  Usually they are pretty hammered on this game.

There seems to be heaps of these around.  Keep your eyes open i reckon.

Offline tnpshow

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 09:32:43 AM »

That's what I'd be doing.  The game isn't desirable enough to warrant huge amounts of time and money on.

The backglass is flaking and cracking in places. Mostly intact, but it's days are nubmered.
I bought a tin of Markseal and I'm going to seal it up shortly before it gets any worse.
I have, however, scanned it for good measure.

Yeah, I've been waiting for a playfield to pop up - nothing yet. Captain Neo in the US had one a while ago. He wanted $175 + $300 (USD) shipping. That was for a bare unpopulated pf by the way.

It's an option, but big dollars for a not-so-popular pin.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 10:00:54 AM »
Maybe you could make an overlay of just the bad section until a better playfield can be found.  I think mr pinbologist has used this method in one of his restores have a search through them.
  If his threads can't give you any ideas no one can.  Good luck hope you can sort something out

An overlay for the badly worn section is one option, though a scan or a good picture of a good PF would be needed to create one from. I tend to only repair a PF this way now as a last resort. I used this method on my Stern Lectronamo restore.
http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=4760.0

As for whether to restore or re-theme, i guess the question you have to ask yourself is "how much do i love this game.. how badly do i want it restored??"
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 10:03:21 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 11:15:11 AM »

The backglass is flaking and cracking in places. Mostly intact, but it's days are nubmered.
I bought a tin of Markseal and I'm going to seal it up shortly before it gets any worse.
I have, however, scanned it for good measure.

Yeah, I've been waiting for a playfield to pop up - nothing yet. Captain Neo in the US had one a while ago. He wanted $175 + $300 (USD) shipping. That was for a bare unpopulated pf by the way.

It's an option, but big dollars for a not-so-popular pin.

A restored Magic is a beautiful machine to look at and great fun for an early stern. You can refinish the legs, door and buy new playfield parts. A restored Magic COULD fetch anywhere within the range of $1500 - $1800. So it really depends on how much you paid for the game (as is), factor in the NOS playfield and the amount of effort to restore it. At the end of the journey, you will have a stunning machine.

"unpopular" - Says who ? I don't think it is unpopular. I owned one years ago and I regret selling it. Same with Galaxy and Meteor. Stern Magic was an EXCELLENT earner in its day - right up there with the Ballys that everyone loved.

At least look at Mitch's threads on creating an overlay. I think you have a few options available.

^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia