Author Topic: Repos or Original - Which do you prefer?  (Read 668 times)

Offline thefasteddy69

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Southern Highlands
Repos or Original - Which do you prefer?
« on: November 22, 2010, 04:39:05 PM »
Hi Gents,

Thought I would throw this topic up. With the repos that will ( hopefully!) be starting to come out in larger numbers.

Does anyone have a preference for originals over the repos? Esp Playfields, Backglasses and Plastics sets. I know that with the plastics for eg the repos are great as they are better material, clears are clears and colours are bright.

Also the Playfields are magic but some are not happy with the whites are too white for example. But play fast and look the goods I think.  ^^^

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Repos or Original - Which do you prefer?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 06:52:06 PM »

I welcome repros in all cases. Sometime repros are functionally better.

Playfields - I've bought around a dozen playfields from CPR or IPB over the years, and they breathe life into games with tired and worn playfields. I don't believe in overlays - they are rubbish. The only issue I have with reproduction playfields on SS games is that the clearcoat is WAAAAY too glossy. Beats worn to wood playfields anyday.

Backglasses / Translites - The screenprinted Backglass from CPR are simply stunning. Again, great for missing or damaged glass. Translites are are different story as there is no quality control and some look like they are printed on an crappy inkjet !

Plastics - Always needed. I cannot get enough of them !'

For someone like me, I deliberately target projects that "I know" are having parts reproduced. Fathom, KISS (2), EBD, Medusa, Paragon, Eight Ball, Flight 2000, Flash Gordon - just to name a few. All need "something" replaced. The aim will be to own the best possible example of each game. This is not possible without repros.

I welcome them, as long as they have quality control - which typically means that a few collectors have checked and tested the item being reproduced.

Other cosmetic parts such as drop target and bumper caps are absolutely necessary.

I've seen NOS playfields and like anything made of wood and stored for 30 - 40 years will show its age.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 07:51:51 PM »
Always nice to see a NOS original, but as mentioned, it is most likely going to show it's age. Keep the repros coming, they keep our games alive!!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 08:31:13 PM »
Never been in a position to buy a repro playfield or backglass but after seeing and playing Nicks funhouse and attack from mars I'm all for them hoping ringer a repro set o firepower plastics one of these days I'll let you know what I think when they arrive?

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 08:39:53 PM »
Never been in a position to buy a repro playfield or backglass but after seeing and playing Nicks funhouse and attack from mars I'm all for them hoping ringer a repro set o firepower plastics one of these days I'll let you know what I think when they arrive?

Are these no good? http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Firepower-Pinball-Plastics-Set-/160508108373?pt=AU_CoinOp&hash=item255f075e55
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 09:03:43 PM »
There the ones mate just have a under the table deal going on to keep the missus out of the loop lol

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 09:23:01 PM »
Everything Nino (Strangeways) said, is spot on.

As long as the quality control is fine, it doesnt matter who makes reproductions.

I try to buy everything NOS first but.

p.s- if u copy NOS cabinet decal sets, the repros can be better due to the materials in 2010 being better quality with laminating espescially.

ps-2 - most people cant tell the difference between a great repro and the NOS item if done properly. It all helps great restorations.  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline faza

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 10:19:44 PM »
If it wasnt for reproductions you would see a lot of hybrid pinballs out there

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 10:22:20 PM »

Quality control is the key issue here.

repro glasses.. gee.. where would we be without them? Original Gottlieb glasses are FAMOUS for the fade in the colours. I was looking at the original artwork for GENIE backglass the other day and i can honestly say that ive never seen a backglass for this game out there that comes close to the depth of colour when original... truely a stunning glass!

Playfields... restores are fine but the restorers can only match whats already there, which is some corrupt colours. Any restorer will tell you that a playfield actually changes colour from top to bottom... a yellow on the top will not match a yellow on the bottom etc.

When you take a playfield right back to the ORIGINAL colours youd be suprised just how vibrant it was from factory. My Bank A ball was a dark green with cream colour under plastics etc... take off the linseed based finish and the colours just leapt out at you.
ALL pinballs were very colourful from factory.. they had to be... the idea was to catch your eye as you walked into an establishment... take a peek under the lock down bar to where the artwork has seen no sunlight etc... will be a very different colour to the rest of the game.
So yes.. repro PF's do have bright whites, but so did the original PF... not the yellowed out cream you see.

Im all for repros.. the only ones im not too keen on are some of the bumper caps and shooter housings etc for woodrails... the plastic they use is different and lacks the natural marbelling that existed then.

Any repro that you may consider buying really must be licenced..  mainly because the stipulation to it being on the market is that "The reproduction should be of  the same or better quality than the original and truely match its content"

... something like that anyway.

This clause allows you to buy a licenced reproduction knowing that you have not compromised your machine in anyway

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 10:29:36 PM »
There the ones mate just have a under the table deal going on to keep the missus out of the loop lol

:lol :lol :lol

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 11:43:34 PM »

:lol :lol :lol

Now that sounds like someone has a problem!!! It's AP, not PA...

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 11:55:16 PM »
Not everything reproduced can be licenced. If i waited for a licence to happen for some of my full cabinet decal sets, i would be waiting forever.

Its funny, I told a certain someone in Melbourne I was going to print n reproduce Black Knight 2000 cabinet decals, cause there were none on the market, then a certain someone, who doesnt hold any licence, but is friends with a former licence holder, produced a whack of really great ones. It saved me alot of time n effort, and alot of Black Knight 2000 owners all over the world are now very happy.

If the licence exists, support it. If it doesnt, get creative for your own personal machines.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 11:59:20 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Pinballace

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 04:27:10 AM »
Agree new is usually better than original mainly due to aging issues but new is better with the already stated important criteria... QUALITY!  There were some new plastic sets being made in South America, they were total garbage.  Some cab decals were injet and they were total garbage.  There was someone who actually tried to make clear plastic GnR G ramps and cut them out manually with a table saw and yes, they were total garbage.  Unfortunately there are people who just want to make a buck and wouldn't think twice about screwing people over.  Check the reputation of product before you buy.     
The ramp business was very very good to me.

Offline thefasteddy69

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Southern Highlands
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 09:50:10 AM »
I have to admit I prefer the repos as well. Good quality is a must to be sure.

Esp the Plastic sets as these really lose colour and go slighty off brown in the clear areas over time.

I got some Space Invaders plastics repos a while back and wow what a difference it made. No longer were the palstics an weird green and yellow and dont laugh but they also smelt like vomit. The new ones look the goods and will last longer due to the materials used. And no they dont stink. Nice.

Also have a couple of repo playfields as well for those games that are on the keeper list down the track.

Now all I am waiting for is a decent repo Firepower Backglass  to come out. Maybe one day!

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 04:54:29 PM »
I'll buy parts, however I can get them. NOS, repro, whatever.