Author Topic: My Garage "Restoration"  (Read 581 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
My Garage "Restoration"
« on: November 27, 2010, 11:40:52 PM »

Most people that have visited my Garage have often wondered how I can possibly work with all the pinballs and pinball "stuff" stacked to the roof. Over time, I've taken pictures of whats currently in my garage so that I can one day look back at what I was restoring at THAT point in time. Now my garage has one Golden Rule - The missus HAS to be able to park her car in the garage. Everything else - is my "space".  No kidding, I've fit THIRTY pinball machines in my garage and the wife could still fit her car in. The garage measures 6X6 Metres.

Recently, I sold off most of the Videos etc, and now I can really concentrate on my restores. To start off - I decided to completely strip the garage of all the "clutter" and create a "safe" working environment. So some games have gone into storage so I can rebuild the garage space and improve the way I work. This means NEW benchtops and ALL the shelving needs to be addressed. I quickly built makeshift shelving with leftover offcuts from the house (when we built), purely out of necessity. So that will all be removed.

I set a budget of $500. $300 on materials and $200 on storage bins etc..

Right - This is what my garage typically looks like.. The area behind the playboy is where I start - there is actually a WINDOW (with security shutter) behind those machines.

Most of those machines are in collections these days, except for the KISS' and Playboy (which are over the other side of the garage and are currently part of my avatar)  #@#

My brother in law works in construction, so he sourced TWO 1800 X 1000 formply sheets - and these are AMAZING to work with and perfect for a benchtop - cost me nothing. I modified my old workbench, and slid the first sheet on top of the old bench and it fit PERFECTLY in the window frame. I used the second sheet as another bench which is raised and will have my vertical drill, buffing wheel and vice installed. The compressor fits neatly under the extended bench. The BEST part is that I just need to raise the security shutter, and I have instant natura light. The bench is MASSIVE - 3.6M wide.. As Tim the Toolman would say "oooohhhhh"..

Off to Bunnings and I bought 20 2.4 Meter treated pine ($2.88 each) and three sheets of 1800 X 600 X 12 MM ply. Also bought some woodscrews, and nuts bolts etc - Knocked this first shelving over in an afternoon ! Look at the old CRAP shelving in the background !

Time to do the corner - again - off to Bunnings, and I knocked this over in two days - Having heaps of fun !

While I was doing this - I hurt my back  !!! So I had to stop for a week.

But I slowly started to feel better and completed the corner section

So it looks like this now ;

I'll join the other shelf to the corner in the next update - and I'm looking for shelving tubs etc to make it all look "nice"

:D

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: My Garage "Restoration"
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 12:10:47 AM »
Man i cant believe your shed is 6x6 meters and that window was very well hidden.   Your doing a great job so far and great to see some of your dads wood working skills rubbed off ^^^

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 12:16:13 AM »
Man i cant believe your shed is 6x6 meters and that window was very well hidden.   Your doing a great job so far and great to see some of your dads wood working skills rubbed off ^^^

Cheers Daniel - Yes I did learn a lot from Dad - he has not seen it yet, but I'm sure he will approve !

I am REALLY pleased about the window. I also found a side door which leads into the backyard ! This is ever better, as I can have the garage roller door closed during winter, and access the garage via the side door !

They know me on a "first name basis" at the Bunnigs trade desk - How cool is that  <.>

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 12:31:05 AM »
LOL- Bloody hell that makes me laugh!!

In your tidy up you found a door...

oh thats funny.. that really bloody funny!!! %.% %.% %.%

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 01:02:41 AM »
Classic!

Nice work, Nino, as they say, the first step is to be neat, tidy and organised.

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 01:47:41 AM »
 Bloody classic Nino you found a door and window.   As for the guys at bunnings knowing your name you must spend way to much time there.   Time at bunnings = no time working on your classics  <.>

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 02:54:06 AM »
Well done Nino. Nothing worse than not being able to find anything when you want it.

A good use of space given what u are working with. Are u sure u cant by the wife a car cover for xmas.lol

Happy wife can mean happy life. 
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 09:03:42 AM »
Great improvement there Nino.  ^^^  Will be a great workspace by the look of it . Had to laugh about finding the door  %.%
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline shansta

• Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
  • I want to migrate... To Qld...
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 10:26:50 AM »
Your 6x6 looks a shit load bigger than my 6x6!  !!!

Toni drives a Territory - ain't no way that puppy is going to fit in here...  !*!
Why is it called PMS?
Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken...

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 11:47:58 AM »
Your 6x6 looks a shit load bigger than my 6x6!  !!!

Toni drives a Territory - ain't no way that puppy is going to fit in here...  !*!

My wife had a Kia and now drives a Mazda 3 - fits easily in the garage. My car, on the other hand, is waterproof and is parked in the driveway  %.%

Offline Bayview

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Hervey Bay. Qld.
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 01:25:18 PM »
So you've found 1 window & 1 door so far. ^^^
Just keep looking, I'm sure you are going to find a few more good things.
You're doin a great job, you'll be laughing when you're finished. @@*
Ya just gotta luv an EM.

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 06:09:26 PM »
Can't wait to see what you 'find' next!

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 06:10:33 PM »
Good work Nino
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 10:52:43 PM »

Here's the "other side" of the garage with all the stuff I need to sort out. Yep - an absolute mess - but only for a short time !

The left hand side shelving is 1800 X 600 X 2400. The "L" shaped is 2400 X 600 X 1800 X 2400 ! So really it is just a HUGE "L" shaped shelving system.

The hard yakka is done and all I need to do is brace the shelving against the wall. I did this after adding weight to the shelving so it settles. I'm no chippy, but it kinda made sence to me at the time !

So now I start experimenting with the different sized containers. Bunnings had some for $8 - so I bought four of them and I also bought four Black milk containers for $8. I then found a special at Supercheapauto - three for $22 - so I bought TWELVE and started to use them. I stored similar parts in the containers and then started to just put them "wherever". Here's a view of the completed workbench, tool bench (Vice, buffing wheel, vertical drill and rivet press to be bolted down)

Here's the "door" I found which leads into the back area - yes there's timber there NOW, but that will be moved !

Here's the panoramic FINISHED Garage. TV is installed on a shelf near the top right hand corner of the roller door. Additional shelving near the window (with my NEMO clock my son gave me so I don't stay out too late) ! The shelving system complete with containers, and my machines awaiting restoration !

Now I will be able to work in an organised  fashion and HOPEFULLY be more efficient. What I have decided to do is look at installing those curtains that sit in a channel (like the privacy curtains in hospitals) that will run around the garage in a "U" shape. This will allow me to set up a "clean area" to spray the cabinets etc !

Best thing about finishing the garage - I can work on pins  $#$

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 08:47:43 AM »
Great work Nino I also thought about the curtain idea but never bothered if you do install one be sure to post pics