Author Topic: Stern Dracula restore; PART 2  (Read 6623 times)

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Re: Stern Dracula restore; PART 2
« on: March 07, 2009, 10:29:03 PM »
Quick progress update: On Friday on my day off I got a start on the back box. First thing to do obviously was to trace the stencils, which I did the night before.

So come Friday morning it was out with the paint stripper and scraper for some stripping. The paint came off fairly easily as it did on the cabinet. Once that was done I wiped the backbox down with methylated spirits and rags.

The backglass surround section on this game had been water damaged at some stage of its life, so naturally I just had to replace this. It was made from MDF originally, as have been every other Stern machine I’ve seen,  so I used MDF again to remake this section. I didn’t get any pics of what it looked like before.. it wasn’t all that bad really, but being the perfectionist I am I decided to repair it anyway! :lol 2nd pic was taken after this work had been done, and while the dent repairs were in progress.

3rd pic shows the backbox after several coats of primer, done today. While that was drying I decided to repaint the legs. I bought a can of Septone brand hammer finish spraypaint. No primer was needed for this paint so it was as simple as stripping the crappy old paint off with my clean n strip disc in the drill, giving them a wipe down with Prepsol and giving them a few coats of the paint. Las pic shows the end result. Tomorrow I should be able to bolt them onto the cabinet!!

Also I got a start reassembling the cabinet. I polished the side rails with Autosol polish and refitted them. I managed to save most of the twist nails so I buffed the heads to a nice shine before putting them in. a couple of them broke removing them, luckily I had some spare nails in my spare parts boxes. Late this afternoon I started refitting the ground braid back into the cab, and that’s as far as I’ve gotten. Hopefully I’ll get some paint onto the backbox.. Should be able to post more pics tomorrow!!