Author Topic: I have no friends....  (Read 2129 times)

Offline vinito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
Re: I have no friends....
« on: February 11, 2015, 12:31:15 PM »
A great hobby but if u crash it costs money.
Hmm. What I found back when I flew planes is that it was expensive to get going, but repairing crashes wasn't a big deal. Fuel was cheap (per minute, not per gallon).
Of course back then the ARFs were just beginning so it wasn't at all like it is now. I always liked building things anyway so I always did a kit, and a kit really is simply a box of sticks. Even a bad crash is probably 75% recognizable airplane so it was just a matter of a smaller pile of sticks and covering and you're back in business. Much better than starting with a box of sticks from scratch. My most expensive repair was about $10 in materials and another $20 in parts. Minor crashes could often be done at the field. CA glue makes all that so much easier and faster.

Anyway, I clearly remember realizing that after I took the plunge and bought all the stuff to get started, it was very inexpensive fun to stay flying.

Now helis are another thing. Not a splinter of balsa in sight with those, so I knew that was too expensive to get into back then, especially since I knew they were much trickier to control thus I would crash and buy parts MUCH more often.

I'll probably get into larger and more expensive models of copters over time. My solution to crashing them so much is to spend time with Realflight (my favorite RC flight sim) first and make my learning crashes cost zero money or time. I find that it's very realistic the way the different craft fly and it's a fun activity all its own. Edutational.

Flew the Hubsan this evening out in the yard. The place always has three or four squirrels carousing and cavorting all day long. But ever since I got this thing I haven't seen a one on the ground yet. I think they had a meeting.
Someday though, they'll get hungry or forget what they decided (being small-brained squirrels and all) or something and I WILL have my way with them. The Hubsan always has a fresh battery at the ready.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 12:32:51 PM by vinito »
I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.