Author Topic: Gottlieb Buccaneer Restoration  (Read 6208 times)

Offline Steve2010

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
Re: Gottlieb Buccaneer Restoration
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2011, 02:22:25 AM »
I hadn't looked into the Restorations area of the forum for a few weeks (I know, shame on me), and low and behold there are two machines that have popped up that have caught my eye - this one of course, and Paragon.

Nino, wonderful machine.  Played this one umpteen times on weekends back around the 1977-1981 years at a Bowling alley.  Sad thing is I haven't touched a Buccaneer for about 30 years now.  Didn't care much for bowling, but loved the pins (also remember a Mata Hari next to it which I played alot as well).  I had a love-hate feeling for this game.  Loved the challenge time and time again, but hated how much effort it took for me to just get the special lit, then trying desperately to get the pop!  Hit it up through the spinner, and hope the the ball comes down the rollover that's lit (and hope the special light doesn't alternate too much between the two rollovers while the ball is bouncing around).

Now that's a story for the pickup ... you don't see many of these, so that also makes it special as well.

I'm SLOWLY removing the residue from the playfield. I'm using shellite and some old rags.

I have read on this forum the use of Shellite mainly for cleaning the PF rubbers, and also for removing wax if needed.  Is Nifti usually sufficient for removing grime, and if not, is Shellite the next step for the grime removal?

I will regrain the side rails, and install new nails.

I take it that the side rails and lockdown bar are always to be regrained, never to be polished, correct?  What is the process for regraining?  You did mention scotchbrite, but do you use any agent with this?

Here's the RHS with the regrained siderail.
Looks great, and really does make a difference between deciding to just "leave it as is" versus bringing it back to its glory days.

OK, OK, I had better pay attention to the resto section more often.