Author Topic: Cirqus Voltaire - backbox real bell mod  (Read 5564 times)

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
Cirqus Voltaire - backbox real bell mod
« on: March 15, 2012, 11:58:00 PM »
Here is a quick and easy mod I did to my CV.

Some of you may know that the Cirqus Voltaire pinball was originally meant to have a real metal bell installed in the backbox so that when the plastic ball was launched it would strike and make a ding sound during gameplay.

Well, as per usual the bean counters at Bally/Williams removed the real bell due to cost/labour to install and replaced it with a generic piece of round plastic in the backbox (which does nothing) and a simulated "ding" sound was added to the CV code instead. Even the artwork in the backbox panel clearly shows a round object of some sort is meant to be there.

No bell - cheapskates.  #@# Pic courtesy ipdb

Parts needed:
1 metal counter bell from ebay:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Restaurant-Medical-Office-Counter-Desk-Call-Bell-BNIB-/220970158725?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Retail_Shop_Fitting_Supplies&hash=item3372d90a85
a 3 inch bolt,
2 nuts to secure the bell mod to the white plastic backbox tub
2 bumper/fender washers to act as spacers and ensure the bell is not sitting flush on the white plastic tub but is raised to make a solid "ding" sound.

It is then simply a matter of pulling the metal bell apart from the black counter base that it comes with originally and mounting with the bolt and using the nuts and washers as spacers on the backbox light tub.

The hole for the bolt to go through is already there to mount the original round plastic piece so there is no permanent modification or drilling needed.

Here is the finished product to demonstrate by way of video: (this is the actual noise level of the ball striking the metal bell and is not enhanced in any way, it is also loud enough to be heard over the normal gameplay sound with a very perceptive metal ding as opposed to the synthetic fake "bong" sound from the gameplay code.)

Note I have also installed two plastic balls in the backbox so that the bell can be rung more often during the fire the cannon mode.

Hope you like it and hope to see more mods from pinheads on AP.  ^^^

« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 09:51:54 PM by swinks »

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Re: Cirqus Voltaire backbox real bell mod
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 03:40:26 AM »
I added a real bell in my CV, but I could not hear it above the sounds of the game

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 07:06:03 AM »
Cool and simple mod, thanks for sharing. Also mods section coming in the next week...  $#$

Could someone do a review on this game, would love to learn more about it and thoughts on the dmd in the playfield.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 07:07:36 AM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 11:45:18 AM »
Nice work  ^^^

Offline Dirty daz

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 04:04:42 PM »
cv is one of my favorites

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 08:29:56 PM »
Cool and simple mod, thanks for sharing. Also mods section coming in the next week...  $#$

Could someone do a review on this game, would love to learn more about it and thoughts on the dmd in the playfield.

This is a machine that is just begging for a color LCD screen instead of an orange DMD but the unique design and location of the DMD and low production numbers may prevent any chance of this happening.

It is one of the few machines that you can regularly watch the DMD animations during gameplay without taking your eyes off the ball.  ^^^
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 08:35:42 PM by pinsanity »

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 09:36:42 PM »

[/quote]
It is one of the few machines that you can regularly watch the DMD animations during gameplay without taking your eyes off the ball.  ^^^
[/quote]

Which why I am sure the Zombie Adventureland will have a LCD in the same place.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts