Author Topic: What would cause new bulbs to burn white?  (Read 674 times)

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
What would cause new bulbs to burn white?
« on: August 31, 2010, 10:55:25 PM »
Can anyone explain what would cause brand new light globes burn with a white coating inside the glass?

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: What would cause new bulbs to burn white?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 11:03:15 PM »
I purchased some crap 44's from a website in CHINA 18 months ago and they did the same thing.

I threw them all in the garbage and never went back.

p.s - if u bought them locally, and have tried them in a few different machines, that might be a batch issue which may affect alot of people ? have u tried them in multiple machines ?
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Pinballer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 11:04:24 PM »
Incorrect voltage, or more specifically the voltage maybe to high for the bulb.  Measure the voltage on your socket and compare it to the rating of the bulbs you are using.  What you are describing sounds like the initial reaction the filament of the bulb has to higher voltages.  Or the bulbs are a cheap inferior type that are failing.

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 11:15:15 PM »
I've just had one burn out inside a pop bumper underneath all the ramps how bloody typical.  I'm just hoping it was a one off thing.   I'll measure the voltage and try some in another machine and see how we go and report back

Offline MrMaloo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock NSW
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 12:14:14 AM »
I had the exact same thing happen to a bulb on a light board mod that I bought for my IJ (not sure if it was the Lost Plastic Light board or the Jackpot one ??) . The very first time I powered it on one bulb out of 3 on the board burnt white . I replaced them all with good quality bulbs and haven't had a problem since .

Were these new bulbs that you recently bought Daniel or have they been in the pin for a while.

I'd put it down to inferior quality bulbs or possibly bulbs that have been sitting around for many years .

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 01:00:40 AM »
Sounds like crappy bulbs,
if they burn out and go white it usually means air has gotten inside the bulb or when they where made all the air was not removed from them.
Same thing will happen if you cut or break the little nipple on the bottom of a lamp and then power it up.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 10:53:58 AM »
Thanks for all the replies these bulbs were brand new Enko 555s  I'll check the voltage and hope for the best

Offline 48

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 11:50:04 AM »
From what I know it means the lamp was not manufactured correctly, either contaminates in the bulb or not a correct vacuum, or crap on the filament.
Had this recently with a brand new heat lamp (known brand) being bigger there was smoke everywhere inside the globe.
Managed to turn it of before it went pffffft. Fortunately it was only one out of 4 in the kit.
Trouble with globes it is not worth the trouble of getting replacements.
Cheers,

Just read Beakies reply, I really should read the whole thread properly!
what he said...... @.@  @.@
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 11:51:39 AM by 48 »
Lets go Brandon!