• Forum Posts:
Re: surfer
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 09:57:01 PM »
Meant to go for that one myself!!

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Maitland NSW
  • There's no law against having fun, just yet!
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 07:58:15 AM »
I was distracted at the end and when I saw this I was surprised.
What a bargain.

J.D.
There is no law against having fun just yet (but I am sure they are busy are drafting one!)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 09:17:29 AM »

That's a good price for a very sought after machine.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline FirePower

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 07:25:24 PM »
It was me who bought the Surfer. I have wanted an EM with drops and know this is a well regarded game so was happy to grab it.  Looks pretty good next to my Wild Life.

Overall condition is ok for price I think. Cabinet needs a repaint as the seller said, The pattern is more complex than I would have liked for my first attempt, so we'll have to see.  BG is ok, some blistering on the Surfer girl, her bikini and legs are the main areas, but not too bad.  Play field is pretty good and  should come up ok, mylar on the lower section with a little blister in one section, but I think I'll trim the blister and leave the rest on. Needs a bit of touch up around the eject hole score lights.  Apron very faded.  Electrically pretty good - just one fried flipper coil the rest ok.  The reset bank coil had fallen off, but was ok when remounted. 

I think for this machine it'll be worth spending a few dollars on new play filed parts to spruce it up. so I will be on the prowl at PBR. I will be buying a schematic and manual from them, but if anyone has a pdf they wouldn't mind letting me have whilst I put the order together I wouldn't say no.

Can't get it to play yet - it runs through a form of reset. The scores all reset, the reset bank resets, but looks like the AX reset relay is not functioning correctly. I'll post a query under tech help for advice and opinion.

Some pictures for your interest.  I have a few projects to finish first but am looking forward to giving this some attention. 

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 07:51:13 PM »
Looks like a good Start.   As for the cabinet respray im sure if you ask Gav (Retro Pin) he could knock you up some stencils check out his flipper rescue  site http://www.flipperescue.com/

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 08:26:37 PM »

Great pick up - I look forward to the resto thread. I have one in storage so if you need art etc for the stencils - let me know !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 09:24:19 PM »
Congrats, great pick up!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 10:31:14 PM »
Its a GREAT pickup... i was keen on this myself but missed the end of auction.. and at $900 i wouldnt have thought twice about it.. great score mate.
Its also a title im keen to do stencils for

Offline JD

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland NSW
  • There's no law against having fun, just yet!
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 08:22:41 AM »
Great Buy firepower!

Well done.

j.D.
There is no law against having fun just yet (but I am sure they are busy are drafting one!)

Offline jyebow

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland, NSW
  • GTB Pioneer, Bally Hi-Lo Ace, WMS Space Shuttle,
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 10:56:32 PM »
Nice score, That was a top buy.
 Looks like it was operated by N.A.D. amusements at Newcastle back in the day, My HI-LO Ace has the same sticker on the apron. It also had that brown "contact" on the ball arch too, got it off easy & it was mint underneath, hope yours is too. well done.
cheers Steve.
GTB Pioneer, Bally Hi-Lo Ace, WMS Space Shuttle, Data East Lethal Weapon 3

Offline FirePower

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2010, 09:30:34 AM »
Yep it does have a NAD sticker and brown contact which I have not lifted if yet.

I've been trying to get this roughly working so I can tell what bits I need to buy.  Thanks to Simon yourdreamin for help with a schematic which will make things considerably easier.

Taking the advise that most EM problems stem from score reel and player units I did some examination and cleaning of switches.  Each score real has four zero position switches! (Two NO and two NC - seems a bit excessive)  One was out of adjustment. I removed about 1/4" of dust and lint over everything. Cleaned the player unit in the head box and checked switches. Some of the switches are very tough to get into to clean. Got to a stage where I could get a game to reset and start - enough to verify most things are working but midway through this test the game went into game over mode.  Enough is working to be happy and to confirm it needs a very thorough clean and examination.

Offline yourdreamin

• Forum Posts:
  • barrack point
  • how much are your askin
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2010, 11:04:58 PM »