Author Topic: Linking LEDs with feature lamps  (Read 375 times)

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Linking LEDs with feature lamps
« on: June 29, 2010, 11:32:59 AM »
On my twilight zone, i have made two green LEDs in series (with 180 Ohm resistors) that are meant to illuminate the slot machine when it needs to be hit - ie: in synch with the yellow bulb on top of the plastic

I have joined the wires to the two coming of the yellow bulb, (ie: in parallel with the yellow bulb) which switches off once you have hit the slot machine - problem is that the LEDs stay on?????

Can anyone give me advice on how to get the LEDs to turn off with the bulb - i'm thinking it might have something to either do with adding extra resistors or a diode - i had a play with a diode on one wire and it didn't seem to make a lot of difference.  I've also added up to 1500 ohms of resistors and an extra diode in series with the LEDs and have had no change in the result.

Thanks

Rob

« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 04:53:29 PM by robm »

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Re: Lining LEDs with feature lamps
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 01:34:36 PM »
try removing the yellow bulb and if this works then you will have to replace the incandecent yellow lamp with an led type lamp.
if this works i will reveal my theory.  &&
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 01:36:42 PM by beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 04:22:00 PM »
try removing the yellow bulb and if this works then you will have to replace the incandecent yellow lamp with an led type lamp.
if this works i will reveal my theory.  &&

Sorry Beaky, no change with a LED in the 44 socket.....

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 04:46:30 PM »
did it turn off when you removed the lamp all together?
make sure the led is soldered to the lamp side of the diode that is on the lamp socket.
does the led in the 44 socket turn off?
also make sure the leads or wire going to the led are not shorting to any metal

I tried doing what you have done and i found if the led is wired the wrong way around and not on the lamp side of the diode the led will stay on.
but when wiring the led to the lamp side of the diode and changing the polarity on the way the led is wired then the led turned off with the lamp.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 05:04:02 PM by beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 04:53:11 PM »
Ok - LEDs do not turn off when lamp is pulled out

LED in 44 socket acts the same as an incandescent bulb

No shorts - put heatshrink on the LEDs, checked everything else

I have it wired under the playfield - before the diode on the lamp socket - but i did try putting an extra diode in series, with no change
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 05:26:13 PM by robm »

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Re: Linking LEDs with feature lamps
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 06:09:31 PM »
try swaping the polarity of the led
i have found if the led is wired one way it stays on but if you wire it the other way it turns off (thats is if it is wired before the diode as you have)

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 07:02:39 PM »
Beaky = Genius
Rob = retard

I'm sure i had tried swapping the polarity, but anyway its all sweet now - will put up a guide if others are interested in this mod

Thanks heaps ^^^

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 08:21:08 PM »
No Problems Rob.
I used a machine which has a similar board to yours (even though all williams work with the same lamp matrix setup) and did it while it was in attract mode so the lamp was flashing on & off. Then I got the led to stay on and noted the way it was connected. then i got the led working properly.

Glad I could help.

don't put your self down mate, every one makes mistakes.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 08:46:49 PM »
Good work Beaky and i like the mod Rob wont miss when your supposed to get that scoop

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 08:50:07 PM »
See this thread for instructions http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=4776.0

Thanks again