Author Topic: Ripley's Sound Issue  (Read 331 times)

Offline Jomac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Ripley's Sound Issue
« on: March 12, 2009, 05:08:21 AM »
Before I start getting too serious and start pulling the board apart has anyone seen this issue before ??

I have Ripley's in the workshop (my own not customers) that had developed a sound fault ,Random sounds in place of it's normal sounds , and it seems many of the speech sections are replaced by strange tones or screeching sounds. , Difficult to tell what should be speech and what are normal game sounds , background music does seem ok though.

Apparently this was a know issue with Ripley's  which is supposed to rectified by following upgrade instructions in Service Bulletin 157 ,  Game now gives 8 flashes indicating O/S 8 , Have replaced U210 CPU version to 3.20.
U7 and 4 speech Roms all verify with correct checksum , Display version Rom version 3.00

According to the table in Service Bulletin 157 ,( U8 in this board is 11TC ) This board should have single green dot , but it has a single blue dot.
The CPU U210 is the original type 27C1001 , although picture in bulletin and machine manual shows 27C040 .
Speech roms in this game are original 27C801 , picture in bulletin and machine manual also shows 27C040 .
Reason I have noted this information is because there is no mention in the Rom archive which Eproms should be used with the supplied images , except for Bios Flash Rom which is 27C512

It appears something in the software upgrade is not correct as the sound issue is now worse than it originally was but there are now some background sounds that were missing before update , I was going to attempt to revert to original Riply's O/S but there does not appear to be a way to go backwards from O/S 8

There is a Jtag on the board , but no software or information available either.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 05:10:27 AM by Jomac »

Marty Machine

Re: Ripley's Sound Issue
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 10:38:59 AM »
Do the tones/screeches seem to sound like they're 'normal' or just random-noisy sounds?

Since this fault has 'recently appeared', I'd start by checking all the voltages on the soundboard, making sure that 5v=5v and 12v=12v etc, and make sure they're clean DC and not riddled with hum'n'junk.

After that, I wonder if you're missing an address pin (or decoder chip) which is placing the rom into a different sound bank, perhaps a bank that is used when this rom is in a different machine?

for example:
bank0='ripleys' sounds
bank1='junkyard' sounds

Otherwise maybe you're losing data pins on the rom data bus?

My next move would be to monitor the address/data pins while sounds are playing and looking for 1 or 2 pins that are doing absolutely nothing, meaning they're held in a state by a faulty address/data decoder chip.

Are all chip-selects active?

Hard where else to point at, without knowing or hearing the sounds and knowing how that particular soundboard works.

Always backup your roms BEFORE erasing them, oh well.....you may need to find some orig roms online, or another machine to copy from ;-)

MM.

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 11:01:57 AM »

hey Joey

we had the sme problem with a Grand Prix ,  give me a call and I will pass you onto one the biys out back who should remember what they did ?

mark

Offline Jomac

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 02:49:59 PM »
Do the tones/screeches seem to sound like they're 'normal' or just random-noisy sounds?

Since this fault has 'recently appeared', I'd start by checking all the voltages on the soundboard, making sure that 5v=5v and 12v=12v etc, and make sure they're clean DC and not riddled with hum'n'junk.

After that, I wonder if you're missing an address pin (or decoder chip) which is placing the rom into a different sound bank, perhaps a bank that is used when this rom is in a different machine?

for example:
bank0='ripleys' sounds
bank1='junkyard' sounds

Otherwise maybe you're losing data pins on the rom data bus?

My next move would be to monitor the address/data pins while sounds are playing and looking for 1 or 2 pins that are doing absolutely nothing, meaning they're held in a state by a faulty address/data decoder chip.

Are all chip-selects active?

Hard where else to point at, without knowing or hearing the sounds and knowing how that particular soundboard works.

Always backup your roms BEFORE erasing them, oh well.....you may need to find some orig roms online, or another machine to copy from ;-)

MM.

Marty thanks for the response , all voltages are good , The screeching sounds etc don't just happen randomly they are addressed sounds just not correct ones.

I do have a backup ( always do ) of the original Roms but there is no way to back up the O/S , The new O/S gets written to a spare 27C512 and only used to flash upgrade the game O/S .
I haven't gone through checking data lines , addresses etc yet that's why I was asking the question here first just in case it was incompatibility issue with the new O/S 8 and this Game.
Biggest problem is I dont know what sounds should be where .

Offline Jomac

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 02:51:10 PM »

hey Joey

we had the sme problem with a Grand Prix ,  give me a call and I will pass you onto one the biys out back who should remember what they did ?

mark

Thanks mate will call later on :)

Once I find the solution will post it for archive

Marty Machine

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 04:07:14 PM »
Sounds along the line of my old Stellar Wars pin, where the soundcard can be selected between 'chimes' (in rom) and 'synth' for lazer blasts/fx etc...

I had a glitchy rail that sent the rom between upper/lower sound banks to give 'chimes' when it should have been 'lasers'....but very intermittently.

MM.